PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Thoughts on the JAX Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know what people would like McDaniels to have done differently in that game given the handicap the team has at the WR position coupled with the fact that they were playing the best defense in football on the road. Can we get specifics?

More screens? More looks to Patterson

That entire group is underwhelming except for JAG...who doesn’t count since we traded him away and got nothing impressive in return. Half the guys you listed are no longer on the team or not impactful

Look at 2016 draft...4 of the first 5 draft picks are no longer on the team!

I agree that the lower round crop hasn't been something to set the world on fire. But, again, it's not a binary situation of suck v. great. Mason and Flowers are legit players. Cardona's an important contributor on special teams. Thuney is a low end starter. Roberts is a limited player, but he can fill a role. Brissett, while not a good fit in New England, is a fine backup QB for the Colts, and got the team Dorsett in a trade return. Wise has shown some real promise. etc...

I agree that the lower round crop hasn't been something to set the world on fire. But, again, it's not a binary situation of suck v. great. Mason and Flowers are legit players. Cardona's an important contributor on special teams. Thuney is a low end starter. Roberts is a limited player, but he can fill a role. Brissett, while not a good fit in New England, is a fine backup QB for the Colts, and got the team Dorsett in a trade return. Wise has shown some real promise. etc...

Why do you think Derek rivers is inactive? Wise showed promise but he was invisible yesterday. This team clearly lacks talent on then DL.

More screens? More looks to Patterson

Patterson lives on size/speed ratio, not on hands ability, route running or the like. And his production based off of that size/speed ratio is fine, but it's certainly not otherworldly. So, given the opponent's size and speed, why would you think throwing more to a Patterson who's best skills are neutralized by those on the other side of the field, would be the way to go?

Why do you think Derek rivers is inactive? Wise showed promise but he was invisible yesterday. This team clearly lacks talent on then DL.

Rivers was not a top overall draft pick, and he missed his entire rookie season because he popped his ACL. I'm not expecting much from him. Why would anyone expect much from him? Some gradual improvement and maybe impacting the game over time would seem to be the sensible hope for the guy.

As for being invisible yesterday, you'll have to excuse me if I'm not judging the guy off of one game where most of the team disappointed.

As for the lack of translatable talent on the DL, I think that's still an open question.

Patterson lives on size/speed ratio, not on hands ability, route running or the like. And his production based off of that size/speed ratio is fine, but it's certainly not otherworldly. So, given the opponent's size and speed, why would you think throwing more to a Patterson who's best skills are neutralized by those on the other side of the field, would be the way to go?

I expect more gimmick plays to this guy.

So what is the thinking? Abandon it and go bombs away when your starting RT is out with a group of WRs that can't get off the press (and against the best defense in the league)? This isn't just directed at you, but I would like more examples than the standard "tHeY rAn WhEn ThEy sHoUlD hAvE PASSED."

Sony coming off a knee and Burkhead a concussion. White is more of a receiving option.

Sure, I hoped Sony would dazzle, but it wasn't there and that's to be expected from a rookie returning from being out. I did not notice Burkhead until late in the game.

Brady had open guys that he didn't see. I would like Patterson to see more involvement in the passing game.

Rivers was not a top overall draft pick, and he missed his entire rookie season because he popped his ACL. I'm not expecting much from him. Why would anyone expect much from him? Some gradual improvement and maybe impacting the game over time would seem to be the sensible hope for the guy.

As for being invisible yesterday, you'll have to excuse me if I'm not judging the guy off of one game where most of the team disappointed.

As for the lack of translatable talent on the DL, I think that's still an open question.

I believe the kid fowler from Jacksonville came back from acl. It’s not a death injury anymore especially with defensive linemen. I just wanna see him play.

That entire group is underwhelming except for JAG...who doesn’t count since we traded him away and got nothing impressive in return. Half the guys you listed are no longer on the team or not impactful

White is underwhelming?
Mason is underwhelming?
Flowers is underwhelming?

Brady had open guys that he didn't see.

Who? Tom is the last guy who should be blamed for the loss.

I would like Patterson to see more involvement in the passing game.

In what way? Twinkletoes Patterson wont be on Dancing the the Stars anytime soon.

Lets now blame the draft for the yesterday's loss.

Lets now blame the draft for the yesterday's loss.

I’m not blaming the draft. I’m blaming the lack of defensive talent and WR talent. I think we are depleted at both.

I believe the kid fowler from Jacksonville came back from acl. It’s not a death injury anymore especially with defensive linemen. I just wanna see him play.

I want to win Power Ball.

We can talk wants, or we can talk reason. Most players aren't back to 100% until the second season following ACL surgery (or late in the first, depending upon date of surgery), and Rivers was a rookie, so he never even had a rookie season to build off. 100% of Rivers would still be "rookie with an upside, but needs to get stronger, and to improve a lot of things".

I expect more gimmick plays to this guy.

Patterson's catch rate is 75%.

Throw him the ball and let the chips fall where they may. If he does not cut it let him go and sign someone else.

The problem with that is that the field shrinks in that area. Those routes that were there before were no longer there with the shorter field.

Agreed, but I thought they should have taken a shot with Patterson from about the Jax 40 on that drive. The Jacksonville DB's were gassed, and Patterson had spent most of that drive on the sideline. The Jags front was spent on that drive as well. Perfect time to drop back for a shot.

I’m not blaming the draft. I’m blaming the lack of defensive talent and WR talent. I think we are depleted at both.

The lack of defensive talent is the problem. Jacksonville didn't have an even average receiver on the field yesterday and put up 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down