PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Thoughts on the JAX Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only Week 2. Relax. This team doesn't have any tendencies yet. They lost to a tough defense on the road in sweltering heat conditions mostly without two of their best defenders. It's not emblematic of their season or their team as a whole.

Who are their best two defenders? Why can’t rivers get any playing time? All i heard is how we have all this depth at DE and they did nothing against the jags. This d line got pushed around like rag dolls .

I don't think we did, people seem to confuse Michel getting the ball three times in a row with him running it three times in a row.

The Pats seemed to have run alot on 3rd down for no luck.

Brady passed for 12 - 1st downs and Bortles 22 - 1st downs.

to me, it's the most challenging regular season game for the pats this year

as it stands, now the toughest road opponent will be the steelers in december

combine that with the heat and humidity, getting through it with low relative injury was the priority. they got pushed around but were still in it until the brady fumble.......

It sure would suck if McCourty, Chung, and Hightower all regressed at the same time. I'm going to wait on that one.

Its what we all knew.

Coughlin has put together a good team. No denying his success as GM.

82 yards vs Jax

3 - 10 + run plays by Burkhead, Brady and Sony comprise of nearly 50% of the days work.

So what is the thinking? Abandon it and go bombs away when your starting RT is out with a group of WRs that can't get off the press (and against the best defense in the league)? This isn't just directed at you, but I would like more examples than the standard "tHeY rAn WhEn ThEy sHoUlD hAvE PASSED."

So what is the thinking? Abandon it and go bombs away when your starting RT is out with a group of WRs that can't get off the press (and against the best defense in the league)? This isn't just directed at you, but I would like more examples than the standard "tHeY rAn WhEn ThEy sHoUlD hAvE PASSED."

McDaniels should have mixed it up more in the first half. It looked like to me he tried too hard to get Sony Michel’s feet wet. His play calling in the second half was better. They should have gone more hurry up to tire them out.

I don't think they could have done much more except take advantage of some mistakes by the Jags that they didn't take advantage of.

The past couple of years it's been fascinating to watch how far they could go with the level of talent they had. So here we are again, with probably even less talent. I'm going to just enjoy the show.

Idk why teams don’t take a book and press this team more. Maybe they don’t have the personnel like the jags but i would press these wrs. They haven’t shown an ability to get open.

Hill was obviously way ahead of Sony, so it was a real beech to lose him. Later in the Houston game, Hill was beginning to crack off some nice runs. Burkhead has been dinged up like Sony, so the RBBC basically has a healthy White and Devlin.

Surely Sony can do better and we know Burkhead can contribute to the offense via run and reception.

McDaniels should have mixed it up more in the first half. It looked like to me he tried too hard to get Sony Michel’s feet wet. His play calling in the second half was better. They should have gone more hurry up to tire them out.

McDaniels was trying to exploit the Jags run defense and test that. The play calling was fine in the first half as well. The execution was terrible because the Patriots don't have a wideout that can legitimately scare defenses away from cheating up and pressing. They were also missing their starting RT.

My thoughts

Pats let too many assets leave in the off season without replacing them with equal or better talent. This past off-season for the Pats was one of the worst in the last few years. The team is not equal or better than last seasons team.

Injuries have been a problem this season and continue to be.

Jacksonville is a good team, real good, better than the present Pats so that made it a difficult game before it started.

Pats had a difficult day in all areas of the game. Most of it was with the defense. Pats don't do well in the heat and it was extremely hot. I think they have won 2 out of 8 games played in the heat.

One game doesn't make a season but it looks like it will be a questionable season. The Jets came back to reality. The Bills are awful. Miami (simular team to Jacksonville) will be a problem for the Pats and the division lead.

Go Pats

On to Detroit.

My thoughts

Pats let too many assets leave in the off season without replacing them with equal or better talent. This past off-season for the Pats was one of the worst in the last few years. The team is not equal or better than last seasons team.

Injuries have been a problem this season and continue to be.

Jacksonville is a good team, real good, better than the present Pats so that made it a difficult game before it started.

Pats had a difficult day in all areas of the game. Most of it was with the defense.

One game doesn't make a season but it looks like it will be a questionable season. The Jets came back to reality. The Bills are awful. Miami (simular team to Jacksonville) will be a problem for the Pats and the division lead.

Go Pats

On to Detroit.

The Pats bad luck and misses in the draft in recent years may be starting to catch up to them as well.

Wait...you think Miami is going to win the AFC East this year? Based on one bad loss?

It's only Week 2. Relax. This team doesn't have any tendencies yet. They lost to a tough defense on the road in sweltering heat conditions mostly without two of their best defenders. It's not emblematic of their season or their team as a whole.
I agreed with you but a couple things stood out to me. We didn't get any calls this game. Not a complaint, just an observation. Early 3rd down to Gronk just missed but on the replay the defender was pulling Gronk's jersey enough to cost those inches for a completion. The TD against Chung, he was not just picked he was BLOCKED off his stride.
Clayborn drove me crazy. PFF credited him with the most hurries. OK, if you count running past the QB. In fact, I credited him with allowing 4 first downs all by himself. Bortles scrambled 4 times for 26 yards, all for 3rd down conversions and because Clayborn ran upfield and did not set the edge. Michel inexperience cost another 3rd down. Not enamored of any of the safeties. If we are going to play Jason Mac, let's get Jackson and Crossen on the field instead.
I didn't think it was one of Tommy's finest days but he was coming back. Fowler is just to fast for Waddle to block and his two plays were key. I thought Patterson would have a bigger game and he fell on his butt on a key third down. I thought that play killed us and it was there. Where is Hightower? He seems a shell of himself. I see people on the board talking about Flowers importance. I agree, but you cannot count on him, he's injured too often.
In the end result it was just one game, but----I am done with Patterson, there is no kick return game, he can't be counted on.
Get Jackson and Crossen on the field, get Rivers on the field.

You can only run the hurry-up offense when each and every player knows the plays like the back-of-their-hand. Expecting players, particularly new-to-the-system players, to effectively perform in a hurry-up-offense in the 2nd game of the season, in a on-the-road game in front of a hostile crowd is is just a wee bit naive. And in my humble opinion a recipe for disastrous results. Think off-side penalties (correction: 'illegal procedure' penalties), illegal formation penalties, interceptions, offensive line blocking miscues, and opposing defensive line 'jail breaks' resulting in Brady getting buried.

On the other hand, if you still believe that Brown, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, and Waddle can fully protect Brady in the hurry-up, while he's standing back there looking for an inexperienced open receiver, then hell, go for it. But, you'd better have Hoyer warming up on the sideline.

Last edited:
Offense scored 20 points on the best D in the league. We gave up 31 to Blake ****ing Bortles. Defense was the problem, not offense.

10 for 14 on 3rd downs i believe. Reminded me of the super bowl. They can get better in that department. The problem is i don’t see high improvement with this defense. I bet stafford is licking his chops right now. It’s clear as day the lack of talent on the d line and at LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST