PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Rob Gronkowski thoughts, etc -

Status
Not open for further replies.
First stage of grief is denial folks. Gronk is done. Move on as much as it sucks.

I have argued the same thing. People are too emotionally invested in Gronk to really truly say goodbye.

I wonder if this is possible to track, Gronk’s clutchness. Although his production dropped in the latter years, I can still remember many important passing plays attributed to his clutchness, partly because he and Brady saw the same thing and partly because of his ability to make those low percentage plays. I hope we don’t miss that.

I wonder if this is possible to track, Gronk’s clutchness. Although his production dropped in the latter years, I can still remember many important passing plays attributed to his clutchness, partly because he and Brady saw the same thing and partly because of his ability to make those low percentage plays. I hope we don’t miss that.

I honestly think this will be the biggest loss with Gronk, is just how much of a "known" factor he was for Brady. Watching the KC AFFCG, he definitely didn't have the same explosion after the catch that we've seen in recent years. Solid making the catch, but was bowling people over or causing havoc afterwards. But when we NEEDED a catch, between him and Edelman, you always felt he would be there and come down with it. Add in the blocking, and you have a pretty tough piece to replace.

I think we'll be fine. We have Brady and we have really smart, creative coaches. And we're not replacing 2017 Gronk. But still, there's an adjustment to the offense that is going to take some time.

It actually didn't. It only dropped off in 2018, due to injury, which may have forced his retirement.

Bennett was not close to elite.
He had only the 5th most yards vs atl

He was more popular than elite.

His stumble vs Atlanta after the PI call at the end could have cost the Pats the game.

He was more popular than elite.

His stumble vs Atlanta after the PI call at the end could have cost the Pats the game.
I mean he was a good player but not an elite player.
My comments about the Atlanta game were only because the poster made it out to sound like Bennett dominated and was the difference in the game. He played fine, but wasn’t special.

We're not replacing Gronk but I think this offense has plenty of talent for Brady to work with. If Sony continues to develope and Harry works out then this offense could/should be better than last year.

theganggreen theorized three years ago that once teams load up on small, fast linebackers to counter the Pats two TE, spread, hurry up offense.........Belichick would revert to ground and pound.

......and here we are.

It appears that people somewhat underestimate the unique situation that was the three years of Gronk/Hernandez because many tried but nobody replicated. Likewise, Gronk was unique.

It's like reverting back to the mean and there are some great offenses out there without GOAT TE's.

Reactions: jah
Just got back from the Buzz Off for Kids event at Gillette, My brother-in-law who knows Gronk and has been in the End Zone Militia for 20 years had a conversation with Gronk's pal, roommate and bus driver, Rob Goon (real last name.). Goon said there's no way Gronk's coming back. While expected, not what I wanted to hear.

Just got back from the Buzz Off for Kids event at Gillette, My brother-in-law who knows Gronk and has been in the End Zone Militia for 20 years had a conversation with Gronk's pal, roommate and bus driver, Rob Goon (real last name.). Goon said there's no way Gronk's coming back. While expected, not what I wanted to hear.

absolutely no chance. That should have been obvious since retirement. Gronks body just can't handle the game of football anymore. Great career but we need to move on.

absolutely no chance. That should have been obvious since retirement. Gronks body just can't handle the game of football anymore. Great career but we need to move on.
I definitely think there is a chance. He can obviously still block pretty effectively and come up with a clutch Super Bowl sealing catch when needed.

With all the injuries and all the years with an extra 1 month worth of season maybe he wants to get an extra 3 months rest, see how his body feels, and when Tom calls in November he will be more fresh and more effective.

If he is flirting with a physically demanding gig like WWE then why wouldnt he be able to play an abbreviated season. These times are so precious, why wouldn't he at least consider it and see how he feels.

Loved Gronk but I'm ready for the next generation to make their mark.

I agree that Gronk is most likely not coming back, but there is some real journalism malpractice going on in 2019. Maybe Phil Perry doesn't understand the power of words, but if you're in the print media, it's a prerequisite to understand that words have meaning.

He claims in a tweet that Gronk "swears" he's retired. Nothing in the linked article quote by Gronk states that.

Phil Perry

✔@PhilAPerry

Gronk says he’s retired. For good. He swears. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/gronk-rumors-potential-return-you-can-put-them-rest …

2:19 PM - Jun 2, 2019

nbcsports.com

""....Oh man! Whatever I say, it doesn't matter. It will always be crazy out there, but you can put them to rest," Gronkowski said per ESPN's Mike Reiss. "I'm feeling good. [In a] good place. It's great to be back here......"

Does anyone read in those words "I swear, I'm retired"?????

If Mr. Perry wants credibility, he has a responsibility to his readers for accuracy and truth.

I agree that Gronk is most likely not coming back, but there is some real journalism malpractice going on in 2019. Maybe Phil Perry doesn't understand the power of words, but if you're in the print media, it's a prerequisite to understand that words have meaning.

He claims in a tweet that Gronk "swears" he's retired. Nothing in the linked article quote by Gronk states that.

Phil Perry

✔@PhilAPerry

Gronk says he’s retired. For good. He swears. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/gronk-rumors-potential-return-you-can-put-them-rest …

nbcsports.com

""....Oh man! Whatever I say, it doesn't matter. It will always be crazy out there, but you can put them to rest," Gronkowski said per ESPN's Mike Reiss. "I'm feeling good. [In a] good place. It's great to be back here......"

If Mr. Perry wants credibility, he has a responsibility to his readers for accuracy and truth.
He doesn’t want credibility, he wants to set up a future tantrum, I mean series of articles, if Gronk should return.

I definitely think there is a chance. He can obviously still block pretty effectively and come up with a clutch Super Bowl sealing catch when needed.

With all the injuries and all the years with an extra 1 month worth of season maybe he wants to get an extra 3 months rest, see how his body feels, and when Tom calls in November he will be more fresh and more effective.

If he is flirting with a physically demanding gig like WWE then why wouldnt he be able to play an abbreviated season. These times are so precious, why wouldn't he at least consider it and see how he feels.

Wrong. Back injuries do not heal with an extra 3 months rest. The reason he is retiring is that is body is beat up from all of the accumulated wear and tear that football causes. Why would he say to himself "gee I feel great so I think I will go back and beat myself up again." ( I agree that the WWE would not be a good fit for him full time for the same reasons.)

There are several articles stating:

Rob Gronkowski: 'You can put [comeback talk] to rest'

By the way If skipping training camp is the recipe for success why do we ask any players to endure it at all?

Last edited:
Wrong. Back injuries do not heal with an extras 3 months rest. The reason he is retiring is that is body is beat up from all of the accumulated wear and tear that football causes. Why would he say to himself "gee I feel great so I think I will go back and beat myself up again." ( I agree that the WWE would not be a good fit for him full time for the same reasons.)

There are several articles stating:

Rob Gronkowski: 'You can put [comeback talk] to rest'

By the way If skipping training camp is the recipe for success why do we ask any players to endure it at all?
Clayton Kershaw gutted it out similar to Gronk last year, he seems to be feeling a lot better now.

Phil Perry

✔@PhilAPerry

nbcsports.com

Agree 100%. Perry is a glorified bloggist and entertainer. A journalist is not his occupation.

Yesterday Gronk played a game with the media and used them to continue to create buzz about, well.....Gronk, Inc.

With that said I don't hes coming back and nothing he said yesterday reinforced or changed my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes