PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some news on Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad Jackson has more talent in his big toe than Bethel had in his entire frame.
It's just sad that we would rather have a CJ Jones instead of giving Chad one more season, I honestly don;t know what the team gained by cutting Chad now, where was the gain? It was all upside and they threw that opportunity away and a team like the Titans or Raiders or Jags are going to reap the benefits.
As far as your analogy goes, it seems that is where Chad's brain is as well...OR maybe he stubbed his toe and that is why he's shown so little..He can have all the talent in the world and still fall on his face..potential does nothing unless it comes to fruition. With Chad it hasn't. Apparently, you do not understand the importance of special teams. Is it any coincidence that all of the backup wideouts are solid in special team play? I think if Chad had made special teams a real priority, he'd still be here. WIth roster spots as a premium, versatility is important, and in other years, he would still be here. This year, it was a lot harder to make the team and in the end, he fell short. No...the downside was he was taking up a roster spot that could be better urilized and they decided to make the cut. There could be salary implications as well, but I don't think that was at all part of that move. He could make it in another system, but that does not take awy from the fact that it was a bit too much to make it here. I was surprised as well with the move, but I think the Coach and FO know better.

Last edited:
For Chad it's good and bad. The Good, they have a reletively simple scheme. The Bad, not exactly 'leave it to beaver' role models.

As far as your analogy goes, it seems that is where Chad's brain is as well...OR maybe he stubbed his toe and that is why he's shown so little..He can have all the talent in the world and still fall on his face..potential does nothing unless it comes to fruition. With Chad it hasn't. Apparently, you do not understand the importance of special teams. Is it any coincidence that all of the backup wideouts are solid in special team play? I think if Chad had made special teams a real priority, he'd still be here. WIth roster spots as a premium, versatility is important, and in other years, he would still be here. This year, it was a lot harder to make the team and in the end, he fell short. No...the downside was he was taking up a roster spot that could be better urilized and they decided to make the cut. There could be salary implications as well, but I don't think that was at all part of that move. He could make it in another system, but that does not take awy from the fact that it was a bit too much to make it here. I was surprised as well with the move, but I think the Coach and FO know better.

Unless CJ Jones is returning kicks (which he may or may not do), hopefully he isn't based on him putting the ball on the carpet as much as he's done, then how do you justify keeping a CJ Jones over the upside of Chad Jackson, especially where Chad is finally healthy and ready to prove his worth?

Why not wait this season, give Chad this one healthy season to prove himself at a paltry 649K measley CAP hit? Isn't it atleast worth finding out ? One more season now that he's finally healthy. If he "busts", then fine, he "busts", unload him at the end of the season and move on, but atleast the FO gave it one full healthy season. I mean the Bears gave David Terrell 4 full seasons (AND HE WAS HEALTHY THE ENTIRE TIME). Why cut ties now at the age of 23 in what would really have been Chad's (1st healthy season) and his first healthy/full camp in place of a CJ JAG Jones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not wait this season, give Chad this one healthy season to prove himself at a paltry 649K measley CAP hit? Isn't it atleast worth finding out ?

What you are missing is the Pats found out. They have determined he cannot help them.

What you are missing is the Pats found out. They have determined he cannot help them.

Oh they found out that he's been hurt for two years and caught 2 and almost 3 TDs in the preseason playing with crap QBs and felt like now is the time to unload him with only 14 games under his belt ? Is that what you mean?

Oh they found out that he's been hurt for two years and caught 2 and almost 3 TDs in the preseason playing with crap QBs and felt like now is the time to unload him with only 14 games under his belt ? Is that what you mean?

We don't see him in practice or meetings. I imagine some of the determination came from those elements.

You are delusional if you think they cut him because of any other reason than they don't think he can help them on the field.

He's been here for over 2 years. That is more time than most guys get before they get cut.

Last edited:
Can you imagine Jackson starting opposite Ocho Cinco with Carson Palmer throwing him the ball? Hes working out with the Bengals on wednesday.

IMO he is going to catch on with some team and make the pats regret letting him go. He IS good, he just doesnt have the attitude or discipline that the Pats organization demands. He would thrive in a place like Oakland or Cincy.

Can I buy pot from you??? I want you to step back and think about what you just typed. You are saying that a guy with poor mental attitude would be better off playing for Oakland or the Bengals why because these teams just burst with mentally tough players???!! wow the air must be thin in your part of the world cause your brain is misfiring

Unless CJ Jones is returning kicks (which he may or may not do), hopefully he isn't based on him putting the ball on the carpet as much as he's done, then how do you justify keeping a CJ Jones over the upside of Chad Jackson, especially where Chad is finally healthy and ready to prove his worth?

Why not wait this season, give Chad this one healthy season to prove himself at a paltry 649K measley CAP hit? Isn't it atleast worth finding out ? One more season now that he's finally healthy. If he "busts", then fine, he "busts", unload him at the end of the season and move on, but atleast the FO gave it one full healthy season. I mean the Bears gave David Terrell 4 full seasons (AND HE WAS HEALTHY THE ENTIRE TIME). Why cut ties now at the age of 23 in what would really have been Chad's (1st healthy season) and his first healthy/full camp in place of a CJ JAG Jones?
Actually at this point, I think Jones could be cut..as O'Neil could return punts...BUT that is beyond what the original situation is...Chad doesn't play special teams all that well or that much this year..when you compare Jones to Jackson ONLY as a receiver, you have a valid point..BUT in the NFL versatility is very important. How many plays would Jackson be involved with as a 4th wideout? How many would Jones be involved with playing special teams? As I said..all the other backups were playing on STeams, while Chad was not...In other years, theis may not have mattered, but this year, with competition a lot tougher, I think that was one of the factors.
As to his upside, that is all potential and apparently in this system they did not think that was going to happen. I thought they would give him some time with Brady and a chance to shine, but apparently his preseason wasn't as bright as needed and he lost that opportunity to stay with the team. As to what other teams do, that is their business..the Pats have a way of doing things and I put a lot of trust in them. Again, you compare Jackson, who seems to have little versatility with Jones who does a lot more than just catch passes. I was not happy with the way he fumbled, who would, but he made two big returns in the last game. And I am sure there are other factors to their decisions which have not and probably will not come out.

Can I buy pot from you??? I want you to step back and think about what you just typed. You are saying that a guy with poor mental attitude would be better off playing for Oakland or the Bengals why because these teams just burst with mentally tough players???!! wow the air must be thin in your part of the world cause your brain is misfiring

I think he was saying that players who have bad attitudes and lack discipline can still thrive in an Oakland or Cincinnati type situation. Look at Kelly Washington or even randy moss. They both were in situations where it was a higher priority to get on sports center then to do your job and win games. They both come to the Patriots which has a structured system in place and are both able to do their jobs and be successful.
Chad Jackson cared more about making the big play then learning how to run routes correctly. In an oakland or cinncinati they will forgive your miss cues if you make that one big play every few games.

"How many plays would Jackson be involved with as a 4th wideout? How many would Jones be involved with playing special teams?"

This is exactly my point. Chad Jackson would have brought so much more to the team in the 4th WR slot and to be quite honest, as the season progressed and the more he played with Brady, I believe he would have challenged Gaffney for 3rd-WR snaps and eventually won it.

We lost Stallworth and Stallworth you had to watch deep, the safeties had to be somewhat honest, that's gone, Jackson would have replaced that threat, Gaffney won't, he's a middle of the field and IN guy that works the sidelines and the zones. Now teams can really focus on Moss.

Gaffney isn't going to scare anyone deep like Chad Jackson will. Jackson and Moss together on the field would have opened up so much underneath for Wes and the TE's it would have been unreal. We pissed that away when we let him go.

Now compare this to CJ Jones who IMO will not be returning kicks or punts for this team and will probably be the 5/6th WR on this team. Their CAP figure difference is a paltry 300K in favor of Chad Jackson, which is nothing. CJ Jones, let me tell you, is not going to scare any defensive coordinator or NFL safeties deep in this league, believe me. The value/upside especially as the season progressed would have been so much more with Jackson instead of Jones. I don't understand it. They pulled the trigger way too fast on this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I mentioned this earlier and do not know if you addressed this in your other threads: why aren't Chad's supporters not considering Brady's lack of confidence in this kid??

I think he was saying that players who have bad attitudes and lack discipline can still thrive in an Oakland or Cincinnati type situation. Look at Kelly Washington or even randy moss. They both were in situations where it was a higher priority to get on sports center then to do your job and win games. They both come to the Patriots which has a structured system in place and are both able to do their jobs and be successful.
Chad Jackson cared more about making the big play then learning how to run routes correctly. In an oakland or cinncinati they will forgive your miss cues if you make that one big play every few games.

Ok I see that point but my point is he couldnt even stay on the field long enough to give us a good fly pattern now all of a sudden he is gonna get it to go to Oakland or Cinn and pay attention to get open there I dont see it. Those teams are more interested with big plays but Chad Jackson doesnt even have the mental make up to give you that. The kid (cause thats what he acts like) thinks all he has to do is run fast and put his hand in the air that dont cut it in the NFL. To make a big play you have to be smart enough to realize what a defense is trying to do to you. Randy Moss, Ocho Cinco, TJ, TO; all of these guys make huge plays but also study coincidence...I think not

ps. you show me a guy who makes big plays consistantly w/o studying and I'll show you a video game character who doesn't exist

"How many plays would Jackson be involved with as a 4th wideout? How many would Jones be involved with playing special teams?"

This is exactly my point. Chad Jackson would have brought so much more to the team in the 4th WR slot and to be quite honest, as the season progressed and the more he played with Brady, I believe he would have challenged Gaffney for 3rd-WR snaps and eventually won it.

We lost Stallworth and Stallworth you had to watch deep, the safeties had to be somewhat honest, that's gone, Jackson would have replaced that threat, Gaffney won't, he's a middle of the field and IN guy that works the sidelines and the zones. Now teams can really focus on Moss.

Gaffney isn't going to scare anyone deep like Chad Jackson will. Jackson and Moss together on the field would have opened up so much underneath for Wes and the TE's it would have been unreal. We pissed that away when we let him go.

Now compare this to CJ Jones who IMO will not be returning kicks or punts for this team and will probably be the 5/6th WR on this team. Their CAP figure difference is a paltry 300K in favor of Chad Jackson, which is nothing. CJ Jones, let me tell you, is not going to scare any defensive coordinator or NFL safeties deep in this league, believe me. The value/upside especially as the season progressed would have been so much more with Jackson instead of Jones. I don't understand it. They pulled the trigger way too fast on this guy.

Actually, I think his point is that contributions to special teams would mean more than a 4th wide receiver would. Not sure I agree with that in a vacuum, but if CJ Jones was viewed as a ST boost, then that value is likely greater than the DIFFERENCE between having Jackson as your #4 and someone like Kelly Washington.

We'll see how it shakes down, it's going to be interesting, but I'd like you to look around the league and give me a team who has a threat like Randy Moss AND someone else who can consistently be a deep threat:

Cincinnati comes to mind, but that team has other holes that need filling, specifically on defense.

Indy is an example of a solid team with two deep threats. That's one.

Other than that, anyone? It's a wonderful luxury to have, but in a salary cap structure, it needs to be the right situation or it can take away from resources that can be used elsewhere.

who on Indy is a deep threat besides RW? Marvin Harrison is not a deep threat and hasn't been in 2 years. Gonzalez is a pos reciever much in the mold of Stokley. No TE is a deep threat no matter how fast he is

Unless of course your deffination is different than mine
Mine of course being the guy you must double deep cause he can run away from you and hide 50 yards down field. The only team that has 2 right now is actually the Texans with Andre squared or actually the Browns with DS and BE and to a lesser extent Cribbs

who on Indy is a deep threat besides RW? Marvin Harrison is not a deep threat and hasn't been in 2 years. Gonzalez is a pos reciever much in the mold of Stokley. No TE is a deep threat no matter how fast he is

Unless of course your deffination is different than mine
Mine of course being the guy you must double deep cause he can run away from you and hide 50 yards down field. The only team that has 2 right now is actually the Texans with Andre squared or actually the Browns with DS and BE and to a lesser extent Cribbs

Yeah, I mean, I'm imagining Indy from their high powered offense years a few ago. But of course that just makes my point more. There's really never a team that ALWAYS manages a double deep threat, and when they do have one they tend to be weak in other areas and don't end up winning the SB. I believe Peyton went one and done the year he broke the TD record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back