PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder watch / EDIT: Solder to NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder's an average left tackle at best. Looks better than he is because of how good Brady is at avoiding sacks on his own. This is a Flacco move, where you overpay for a replacement-level player because you're afraid that the replacement at a vital position could be much worse. It's not a good way to do business. I didn't think the Patriots would be retaining Solder from the beginning of free agency so this doesn't surprise me too much. They do need to bring in a replacement, but I think Waddle and/or Fleming can do the same job at half the cost.

Yup, suddenly solder sucks...

Solder's an average left tackle at best. Looks better than he is because of how good Brady is at avoiding sacks on his own. This is a Flacco move, where you overpay for a replacement-level player because you're afraid that the replacement at a vital position could be much worse. It's not a good way to do business. I didn't think the Patriots would be retaining Solder from the beginning of free agency so this doesn't surprise me too much. They do need to bring in a replacement, but I think Waddle and/or Fleming can do the same job at half the cost.

im wondering as well how Nate would fit protecting Eli who needs more time or Watson/Taylor who like to run around..

Say what? Career-wise, Solder has been above average. He was dominant in the AFCCG and Super Bowl. I've seen nothing, to date, that suggests that either Waddle or Fleming could do the same job.

With most other positions I am totally with you but not LT when your QB is 41. The "80% of his performance for 50% of his pay" is a great thing but if those 20% drop in performance directly relate to the grandpa QB getting hit sooner/more often/harder then I am not sure if it is worth the saved money. Bill the difference to the QB.. call it a benefit..

I am sure the team has a fallback plan in place in case Solder is priced out. I just hope it is a good one..

Say what? Career-wise, Solder has been above average. He was dominant in the AFCCG and Super Bowl. I've seen nothing, to date, that suggests that either Waddle or Fleming could do the same job.
Waddle and flemming are guys who come to camp on the Bubble, not starting LTs

With most other positions I am totally with you but not LT when your QB is 41. The "80% of his performance for 50% of his pay" is a great thing but if those 20% drop in performance directly relate to the grandpa QB getting hit sooner/more often/harder then I am not sure if it is worth the saved money. Bill the difference to the QB.. call it a benefit..

I am sure the team has a fallback plan in place in case Solder is priced out. I just hope it is a good one..

That's my problem with the whole thing. You're overpaying based on perceived risk rather than on the actual talent level. I don't think it's a good way to do business.

I don't think this is true. I can name about twenty left tackles I'd rather have than Solder.

Waddle and Fleming both played very solidly at right tackle this season. If you believe that can translate to the blindside, then you let somebody overpay for Solder.

That's my problem with the whole thing. You're overpaying based on perceived risk rather than on the actual talent level. I don't think it's a good way to do business.

I understand your point but disagree in the case of a LT. I dont care about overpaying him by 1-2m if that means that there is higher likelihood that the chains stay in motion. Because if the offense starts stuttering the loss of value from all those piece that suddenly cant be used at their full potential is much more than the overpay of one player.

I think Solder is a tier 2 LT. Very very good, but he does have some trouble against elite pass rushers. I want him back.

I think one thing that might affect Solder's decision is his son Hudson. Hudson has been battling a rare cancer since he was three months old and in October the tumor began growing again. If it were me, I wouldn't want to have to move to a new city and find new doctors with a child that is so sick. In interviews Solder has said the Patriots and his teammates have always been understanding and great with accommodating his schedule in regards to Hudson. (Hudson must go to weekly appointments.) If it is close in money offers from others teams, I just think that all that might come in to play with his decision making.

I don't think this is true. I can name about twenty left tackles I'd rather have than Solder.

Waddle and Fleming both played very solidly at right tackle this season. If you believe that can translate to the blindside, then you let somebody overpay for Solder.

What have you seen out of either guy to suggest that they can switch to the blind side and be better than Solder? That's not exactly an easy move.

I don't think that sounds dumb at all, especially considering the Pats like to keep a small bit of cushion for mid-season moves and the flexibility to move some money around. I forget what number they usually keep it at, but it's 4-5 million, no? Plus you have a rookie class coming in, which is a couple million. So really, it's closer to 14-15 million in cap space, unless I've completely misread things.
I'm seeing it the same way.

The Denver radio station is laughing. I just heard solder will not be coming back.

IF Solder goes, i can see us going after Kolton Miller in the draft

We have lost players so far at positions where we had reasonable options or at least where we could find replacements. LT is not one of those.

What have you seen out of either guy to suggest that they can switch to the blind side and be better than Solder? That's not exactly an easy move.

It's not an easy move, I agree. That's a decision I'll trust to the coaching staff. If Scar thinks it's possible, they'll do it.

We have lost players so far at positions where we had reasonable options or at least where we could find replacements. LT is not one of those.
This is why re-signing him is the #1 priority. Both the backup tackles are free
agents and not so hot as players. They drafted two tackles last year. One was on nfi
and the other was picked up on waivers by Buffalo. Farris and Jelks were also on
nfi. The only healthy replacement on the roster would be Cole Croston an UDFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3