PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder watch / EDIT: Solder to NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know why such a panic. Do you want Solder for top money when you have Dante who can do miracles. Solder is overrated.

Dante Scarnecchia: pls as always do your best

we need it ;)

So, the Solder deal is looking more and more like a 2+2 deal as there is a $6M Roster bonus due in March of 2020. That $6M was part of the 35M "guaranteed". My guess is that his salary this year and next year are guaranteed and the difference is the "Signing bonus" if there is one..

The Devil is always in the details.

As I said, the devil is in the details.. and here is what Aaron Wilson is reporting (updating my numbers) :

62M over 4 years; $16M signing bonus,$34.8M gtd, salaries $5.9M (gtd), $12.9M (gtd), $9.9M, $9.9M;

So, he'll get 34.8M this year and next and then they are free to cut him at an $8M cap hit that they can spread over the final 2 years by declaring him a June 1st cut..

As I said, the devil is in the details.. and here is what Aaron Wilson is reporting (updating my numbers) :

62M over 4 years; $16M signing bonus,$34.8M gtd, salaries $5.9M (gtd), $12.9M (gtd), $9.9M, $9.9M;

So, he'll get 34.8M this year and next and then they are free to cut him at an $8M cap hit that they can spread over the final 2 years by declaring him a June 1st cut..

From Solder's perspective, that's $34.8M guaranteed for 2 years of work, or $17.4M per year. Damn.

Can Revis play left tackle?

It may have officially started today at 4pm but teams have been talking to players for two days. I have to hope BB has a plan to replace these players. He usually does. Just would have liked to seen us do something big and do it early whilst other teams are still trying to work out what they want to do.

Boston Sports Journal had Chris Price on and he was talking about the contract the Pats offered Solder.. I'd be interested to know what he said..

Bedard says the Patriots offered $12 million a year. Makes sense that the Giants had to go well beyond that instead of only making him the highest paid tackle in the NFL (which was previously $13.25 million a year).

Bedard says the Patriots offered $12 million a year. Makes sense that the Giants had to go well beyond that instead of only making him the highest paid tackle in the NFL (which was previously $13.25 million a year).

What about the years and guaranteed money?

Why not just pay what he wants? There isn’t an obvious replacement and we need to protect Brady now more than ever. This is a big loss.

Why not just pay what he wants? There isn’t an obvious replacement and we need to protect Brady now more than ever. This is a big loss.

Because they might not have enough room for other players. The Pats do spend up to the salary cap; it's not like they're the Bengals and leave money on the table every year.

So a $14.6 million cap hit this season were the Pats to offer the same deal. Not viable.

EDIT: Math error WRONG
Divided the $34.8M by 4
Should have divided the $16M by 4 instead

See next post

Last edited:
So a $14.6 million cap hit this season were the Pats to offer the same deal. Not viable.

No. It's a 10M cap hit according to Miguel.. (5.9M guaranteed Contract and the $4M SB proration). I think that there was a 100K workout bonus or something as well.

It MIGHT have been viable, but the fact that it's 34.8M in two years is probably not..

If we paid him 16 mill, we’d have 4 mill in cap room..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes