PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So Which Pieces on Offense/Defense Are a Part of the Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hightower might have to go.

At his price tag, yup. Thanks for the memories but he hasn’t lived up to this last contract he signed.

Cutting Hightower is still a $5 million dollar cap hit, but does save us $5m overall (as opposed to $10m)

I think upgrading the D line is imperative. Maybe even double dip in the draft. Chung looks like he may be slowing down some. I’d love to see speed in the LB core but that doesn’t seem to be BB’s priority and I’m not going to question him.

On O, the offensive line is solid. The RBs are young. It’s the WR and TE that need to be addressed and infused.

I think upgrading the D line is imperative. Maybe even double dip in the draft. Chung looks like he may be slowing down some. I’d love to see speed in the LB core but that doesn’t seem to be BB’s priority and I’m not going to question him.

On O, the offensive line is solid. The RBs are young. It’s the WR and TE that need to be addressed and infused.

Do we think Obi has the ability to grow into Chungs role or do we look to the draft?

Agree completely on offense

Only positive I can come up with of as a result of this late season swoon:
Wild Card losers draft 21-24
So Pats have that going for them.....which is nice

Defense: Van Noy, Flowers, Claiborne, Gilmore, McCourty (the good one), Hightower. That right now is the core.

Offense: Brady until the wheels completely fall off. Edelman, Gordon, White, Michel, Berkead.

Gronk's done imo. You know when a guy just has that killer instinct to win at all costs. He looked utterly defeated. He's done.

Clayborn is an overpaid, underperforming stiff. I can’t imagine he is a part of the future, even if he somehow manages to avoid being cut before opening day in September. He’s been absolutely awful and has a 6M cap hit next year. He has got to go.

Clayborn is an overpaid, underperforming stiff. I can’t imagine he is a part of the future, even if he somehow manages to avoid being cut before opening day in September. He’s been absolutely awful and has a 6M cap hit next year. He has got to go.
He’s pretty bad. He’s eating off of one good game against Chaz Green, last season.

Do we think Obi has the ability to grow into Chungs role or do we look to the draft?

Agree completely on offense

I think they hope he does. But they usually have a contingency plan if he doesn’t work out. There’s a decent amount of safeties and tweeners that could fill a similar role this year. (From what I’ve read. I’m not a draft expert)

He pulled a Steve Martin during the game today losing contain and just jogged after Samuels. They showed a close up of this on a replay. I would be shocked if he's not cut during the off season.

Last edited:
With Gronk I’d say basically ask him to either take a big pay cut or he will be cut. Would love to have him around if he did take a cut.

Gronk isn’t playing for less than good money

And honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if he retired regardless of the money. This can’t be a good time for him.

Offense: Key pieces are Michel (nothing special), White, Gordon (if they want to throw the ball to him and Mason due to his recent extension.

Defense: Gilmore, Jackson, Jones. Flowers walks.

Looking back to 2009, here were some of the players that were let go/left/not re-signed: Junior Seau, Benjamin Watson, Jarvis Green, Adalius Thomas, and Shawn Springs.

It actually wasn't the huge house cleaning that I thought it was, but who we added through the draft was more important than who we cut. So instead of my initial idea of blowing it up completely, I'll go with key players who should be cut, assuming that we can win with those who are left plus free agents, and a solid draft.

Offense: Hogan, Dorsett (since he's not being used much), Brown
Defense: Clayborn, Shelton, J. McCourty, E. Roberts, Brown

Restructure: Gronk, D. McCourty, Hightower

I'm on the fence about guys like Chung and Patterson, who contribute enough to be valuable. I'd only move on if there was an obvious option as a replacement out there.

Then again, I'm no GM, and I'm mostly talking out of my ass. That's just what my untrained eyes see.

I will think about the offseason plans when it's the offseason, thanks.

Like which young players are the ones we need to build around? Which ones are not?

Seems to be very few blue chip players on this team.

Gilmore, Flowers, Mason definitely. Maybe Gordon, maybe Wise, maybe Michel. There are others that are serviceable but not building blocks. There are probably others who will turn into good players and I may be forgetting people, but hard to think of anyone else

Gilmore, Flowers, Mason definitely. Maybe Gordon, maybe Wise, maybe Michel. There are others that are serviceable but not building blocks. There are probably others who will turn into good players and I may be forgetting people, but hard to think of anyone else

Wise has done nothing this year. Had a few flashes last year, and a few early this season and has disappeared. More likely he is cut in the next year or two than becomes a core piece

Gilmore and Mason are really the only two guys who are somewhat young, talented and under contract. That’s your core. Flowers should be but re-signing him will be tough and far from a given.

The cupboard is bare. Most of the guys on the roster are either old or not good. The lack of quality young players is a huge issue. The recent drafting has yielded almot nothing in terms of long term pieces.

Wynn, Michel and Jackson might pan out but unlikely all 3 will especially given the injury issues of the 2018 1st rounders

Getting to be close to needing a full rebuild. Not sure Belichick will stick around for it though. Fixing the issues they have this year will prevent them from addressing the aging Brady, safeties, WR, Hightower, lack of OT etc

Too much to fix. The window is clearly closing and about to slam shut in a few weeks once the Pats get bounced by the Colts or Texans (or Ravens/Chiefs/Chargers etc)

Looking back to 2009, here were some of the players that were let go/left/not re-signed: Junior Seau, Benjamin Watson, Jarvis Green, Adalius Thomas, and Shawn Springs.

It actually wasn't the huge house cleaning that I thought it was, but who we added through the draft was more important than who we cut. So instead of my initial idea of blowing it up completely, I'll go with key players who should be cut, assuming that we can win with those who are left plus free agents, and a solid draft.

Offense: Hogan, Dorsett (since he's not being used much), Brown
Defense: Clayborn, Shelton, J. McCourty, E. Roberts, Brown

Restructure: Gronk, D. McCourty, Hightower

I'm on the fence about guys like Chung and Patterson, who contribute enough to be valuable. I'd only move on if there was an obvious option as a replacement out there.

Then again, I'm no GM, and I'm mostly talking out of my ass. That's just what my untrained eyes see.

Pretty good start there.

On offense, the cut list obviously includes Allen.

Since Burkhead is an injury risk and White looking for $$, they should be looking for a good RB. Hopefully one that can play STs and keep a roster spot until an injury.

On defense, hope the best for Rivers but not encouraging. Obviously give him a shot next year in camp. They should just draft DLs and let them fight for roster spots.

In the defensive backfield, don't think we need Rowe back. Jackson and Jones are good and obviously BB like Duke Dawson so maybe between the 3 of them 1 or 2 will pan out. Just remember players like Dennard who seems to fit in but then fall off a cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes