PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So which Pats players are the critical re-signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to keep Neal & Ashworth and keep the line solid. Neal with 3 years experience is just reaching his prime. Ashworth is a solid swing tackle and had 8 starts at RT and 3 or 4 at LT. I don't think we can count on Light and Kaczur to start & finish 16+ games next year.

It will all come down to $$$, if someone offers good starting money to either, then they are gone IMO.

texpat said:
We need to keep Neal & Ashworth and keep the line solid. Neal with 3 years experience is just reaching his prime. Ashworth is a solid swing tackle and had 8 starts at RT and 3 or 4 at LT. I don't think we can count on Light and Kaczur to start & finish 16+ games next year.
We have Light, Kaczur and Gorin at Tackle so I would expect some other team to offer Ashworth more than we do.

I don't think there are any critical re-signs. Obviously, we need a strong safety, kicker and some wide receivers, but they can be signs or re-signs.

With regard to Neal, guards aren't hard to get. After all, we have
Light,Mankins,Koppen,Hochstein,Kaycur/Gorin
with Yates and Mruzckowksi as backups.

Personally, I think a backup OT is more important than a one-dimensional RG, but I am fine with re-signing Ashworth and Neal.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Adam obviously is tops. But he'll be franchised again in worst case scenario.

Then it's Givens, followed by Neal. Neither of these are huge losses if they left and easily replaceable IMHO.

After these 3 who do we have that are important to re-sign?

is Seymour a FA or have we signed him?

Brady#12 said:
is Seymour a FA or have we signed him?
He's a UFA 12 months from now. He could hold out next year but he's not a FA.

BelichickFan said:

oh right thanks i hope we get Givens back!

BoTown said:
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my two cents:

Brandon "Bam" Childress, WR - Re-signed to practice squad re-signed, P-squad eligible, but competitive in TC with a full off-season work-up.
Randall Gay, CB - Re-signed
Gene Mruczkowski, C - Gone re-signed for TC competition and to keep him under development for the shadow roster.
Guss Scott, S - Probably gone ala Hakim Akbar re-signed, did well in limited play, cheap.
Santonio Thomas, DT - Gone re-signed, cheap, did well in TC before injury, creates good competition after a full off-season program.
Billy Yates, G - Re-signed to practice squad P-squad ineligible, re-signed for TC competition and shadow roster development.
Tom Ashworth, OT - Re-signed
Matt Chatham, LB - Re-signed
Troy Brown, WR - Re-signed (probably would've retired with a SB victory, not going out with the fumble, no way)
Andre Davis, WR - Re-signed competing for no. 3 WR, showed good STs, KR, role play skills, needs more pitch and catch with Tommy.
Don Davis, LB - Gone re-signed for TC competition, offered a asst. trainer slot if he doesn't make the roster.
Tim Dwight, WR - Gone (didn't he say he would retire after this season?) retire? not that I heard, good role player, good downfield blocker, taught Branch something about running a CB off on running plays - re-sign.
Heath Evans, FB - Gone re-sign, good project, needs blitz pick-up work, good power runner with speed, needs blocking work, good receiver.
Christian Fauria, TE - Probably gone, wouldn't mind seeing him come back though re-sign for TC competition, great depth at 3rd string this year, good role player too. Has been a great help in developing the younger TEs per BB.
Doug Flutie, QB - Retiring, though I hope he reconsiders, gotta get that ring, Doug!
David Givens, WR - Gone, will probably be offered more than the Pats are willing to give up, hope I'm wrong Make him a decent offer and hope like heck, he and Deion and Tommy get inside each others heads well.
Artrell Hawkins, CB - Re-signed
Stephen Neal, G - Re-signed
Hank Poteat, CB - Gone TC competition, shadow roster development.
Chad Scott, CB - Gone played well in limited time, experienced in secondary where we need it, tall CB who can play - re-sign.
Michael Stone, S - Gone On track to become new STs Captain, great on coverage, good run support at SS, needs tackling drills in open field, work at coverage, work in BB's system.
Ross Tucker, OL - Gone TC competition, shadow roster development.
Adam Vinateri, PK - Re-signed who's he? ;)

Monty Beisel has also almost certainly played his last game in a Patriots uniform. Same with Tyrone Poole, who may as well just retire so he can stop whining about being homesick. I don't think Bethel Johnson will make the cut next season either. Good riddance to those three. Beisel, improved greatly over course of year, needs full off-season for strength/weight improvement, already signed. Poole, if he wants to come back let him compete at Vet minimum, played well against Oakland, the venom directed at him is a puzzlement. Bethel is signed and cheap, had a poor health year, needs route work and better discpline, played well on STs.
10 characters

Last edited:
Have you seen the failures of kickers the league over? How many teams have had their hopes snuffed out due to their kickers NOT coming through when it counts? Buffalo? San Diego? Indy? NY Jets?

Re-sign Adam at ALL COSTS

BelichickFan said:
We have Light, Kaczur and Gorin at Tackle so I would expect some other team to offer Ashworth more than we do.

If ANYTHING has been proven since BB got to New England its that the Patriots NEED to carry 4 OTs. Every year since BB has gotten here, there have been injuries to the OTs and we've need all 4.

BelichickFan said:

Seymour is ONLY a UFA after next season IF the CBA is extended. If its NOT, then no player with less than 6 years is eligible for free agency unless they have been cut by their team. That is one of the poison pills that is in the CBA.

I like Givens alot, but he might want alot of millyunair muney. I think that Andre Davis is a logical re-sign. He bailed Ben Watson out, and he has deep speed. Put him on the "titz" machine.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
I like Givens alot, but he might want alot of millyunair muney. I think that Andre Davis is a logical re-sign. He bailed Ben Watson out, and he has deep speed. Put him on the "titz" machine.

I think that Givens will get money equivalent to TJ Houshmandzedah. Which is to say 2.5 to 3 million a year

DaBruinz said:
Seymour is ONLY a UFA after next season IF the CBA is extended. If its NOT, then no player with less than 6 years is eligible for free agency unless they have been cut by their team. That is one of the poison pills that is in the CBA.

After the 2006 season Seymour will have played 6 seasons in the NFL

so the CBA poison pill is immaterial to Seymour.

Miguel said:
After the 2006 season Seymour will have played 6 seasons in the NFL

so the CBA poison pill is immaterial to Seymour.

Interesting.. Wonder why the article that I saw included him..Thanks for the correction, Miguel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft