PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So which Pats players are the critical re-signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs My Uncle

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Adam obviously is tops. But he'll be franchised again in worst case scenario.

Then it's Givens, followed by Neal. Neither of these are huge losses if they left and easily replaceable IMHO.

After these 3 who do we have that are important to re-sign?

Bobs My Uncle said:
Adam obviously is tops. But he'll be franchised again in worst case scenario.

Then it's Givens, followed by Neal. Neither of these are huge losses if they left and easily replaceable IMHO.

After these 3 who do we have that are important to re-sign?

I think Vinatieri would be a huge emotional loss to the team if he were to go elsewhere. He should finish his career in N.E., then decide who he wants to introduce him in Canton.

Vinatieri will definitely be re-signed. Pats can't let this guy go.

Givens might be gone unless he's willing to stay for less money.

Neal will probably be re-signed cheap.

I'm not sure Givens is "easily" replaceable though. He was a dependable WR for the most part. I don't see anyone on the current roster you just replace him with.

BoTown said:
I'm not sure Givens is "easily" replaceable though. He was a dependable WR for the most part. I don't see anyone on the current roster you just replace him with.

Yeah, he really proved his worth in the last game: even though he didn't have more yards than Branch, he got HAMMERED every time he made a catch and still hung on to the ball.

We need to get a multi year deal with Adam, his salary goes up 20% if we franchise him again.

Givens and Neal are the only guys we really need. I wouldn't mind letting Givens go off and find his riches and trying to upgrade from him, though. I am now convinced that Branch is an excellent #2 WR and Givens is an excellent #3 WR. I think they're a little out of place as a #1 and #2 on a Super Bowl calibur team. There were too many times this year when Brady had time and had no-one to throw to. Belioli knows this by trying to sign Derrick Mason.

BoTown said:
We don't have a good #3 WR, let alone a replacement for the #2. We need some serious bodies at WR if Givens leaves.

CheerforTom said:
Yeah, he really proved his worth in the last game: even though he didn't have more yards than Branch, he got HAMMERED every time he made a catch and still hung on to the ball.

He was a liability for most of his rookie season in 2002. Only positive I remember out of him that year was him drawing a pass interference call late in the game that help set up the Patriots for the tie and the eventual win.

2003 and 2004 he was money, and he was poised to do even better in 2005 before he got hurt and missed some time. Only blemish in this season was his dropped pass on 3rd down in the previous Denver game, during the drive that could've potentially sent the game into overtime.

I like Givens but far too often Givens is rendered ineffective when he's out there as our #2 WR. I think we can do much better at this spot. And if he gets #2 starter money I'd pass.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I like Givens but far too often Givens is rendered ineffective when he's out there as our #2 WR. I think we can do much better at this spot. And if he gets #2 starter money I'd pass.
I want Santonio Holmes. He and Branch would give us two "quickies" and both could hopefully be 1b WR (Branch is, hopefully Holmes could join him) - with Watson and Graham at TE we'd have the size.

A 1 back offense (insert discussion about Dillon here) with Branch, Holmes, Watson and Graham is what I'm looking for. We still would need a #3 WR, though, unless Andre Davis re-signs and develops or Bethel or PK Sam develop.

I would take Givens back for sure but at our price.

BelichickFan said:
I want Santonio Holmes. He and Branch would give us two "quickies" and both could hopefully be 1b WR (Branch is, hopefully Holmes could join him) - with Watson and Graham at TE we'd have the size.

A 1 back offense (insert discussion about Dillon here) with Branch, Holmes, Watson and Graham is what I'm looking for. We still would need a #3 WR, though, unless Andre Davis re-signs and develops or Bethel or PK Sam develop.

I would take Givens back for sure but at our price.

I think BB goes for the ready made WR again this offseason. Like Mason. My choice would be Eric Moulds once the new regime there in Buffalo cuts him and his mega salary loose.

Being in Billsland I see Moulds a ton and he's still a stud #1 WR. In fact if he wasn't holed up in QB poor Buffalo all the years he'd probably be a shoe-in hall of famer. But he's getting up there in age and would have to not expect stud money to play for the Pats. He's spoken glowingly of the Pats over the years and I think he might just be open to a Pats deal.

A Brady/Moulds/Branch/Watson/Graham/stud RB combo would be unstoppable.

BoTown said:
Vinatieri will definitely be re-signed. Pats can't let this guy go.

Givens might be gone unless he's willing to stay for less money.

Neal will probably be re-signed cheap.

I want to see Vinatieri retire here but I think this team is to a point where they don't need him as much as they once did. So if we can sign him for a reasonable contract, I'm all for it. If he wants to be the highest paid kicker which he deserves, I would have to let him walk. We can get a good kicker for alot less than we would pay him.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my two cents:

Brandon "Bam" Childress, WR - Re-signed to practice squad
Randall Gay, CB - Re-signed
Gene Mruczkowski, C - Gone
Guss Scott, S - Probably gone ala Hakim Akbar
Santonio Thomas, DT - Gone
Billy Yates, G - Re-signed to practice squad
Tom Ashworth, OT - Re-signed
Matt Chatham, LB - Re-signed
Troy Brown, WR - Re-signed (probably would've retired with a SB victory, not going out with the fumble, no way)
Andre Davis, WR - Re-signed
Don Davis, LB - Gone
Tim Dwight, WR - Gone (didn't he say he would retire after this season?)
Heath Evans, FB - Gone
Christian Fauria, TE - Probably gone, wouldn't mind seeing him come back though
Doug Flutie, QB - Retiring, though I hope he reconsiders, gotta get that ring, Doug!
David Givens, WR - Gone, will probably be offered more than the Pats are willing to give up, hope I'm wrong
Artrell Hawkins, CB - Re-signed
Stephen Neal, G - Re-signed
Hank Poteat, CB - Gone
Chad Scott, CB - Gone
Michael Stone, S - Gone
Ross Tucker, OL - Gone
Adam Vinateri, PK - Re-signed

Monty Beisel has also almost certainly played his last game in a Patriots uniform. Same with Tyrone Poole, who may as well just retire so he can stop whining about being homesick. I don't think Bethel Johnson will make the cut next season either. Good riddance to those three.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I want to see Vinatieri retire here but I think this team is to a point where they don't need him as much as they once did. So if we can sign him for a reasonable contract, I'm all for it. If he wants to be the highest paid kicker which he deserves, I would have to let him walk. We can get a good kicker for alot less than we would pay him.

Yeah, it depends on how much he's looking for. The Pats can't expect to break the bank to retain him, but I really, really hope he doesn't go overboard in contract demands.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I think BB goes for the ready made WR again this offseason. Like Mason. My choice would be Eric Moulds once the new regime there in Buffalo cuts him and his mega salary loose.
If a guy like Moulds is available, I could definitely see that. I never really factor FA into it, though, as it's so unpredictable who'll make it to the market and who'll take the Patriots' somewhat below market offers.

I know we took Branch in the second round but we had success getting him in there right off the bat and I could see the same thing happening again if we don't get a veteran in FA.

So, the Pats need to re-sign Adam and either re-sign Givens and Neal or find suitable replacements for them.

That's it for critical, or immediate needs? This shouldn't be too problematic.

On offense, the Pats OL is loaded with talent and youth. And we are getting our best two OL back from injury next year. We probably all set at QB :p. Branch and Givens/replacement are good to go. Troy is at the stage of his career where he probably is going to have to sign for not much more than veteran minimum if he's going to stay. Can he still produce as a #3 WR? How about Davis? Johnson? Sam? Childress? We have two excellent TE's who are good to go. Faulk and Dillon are signed but is Dillon the answer for next year? Pass (at FB?) is signed correct?

On defense, we are absolutely stacked on the DL. Especially so if Hill progresses. Will Seymour hold out again? I think we may have the best group of LB's in the league so it's tough to complain about them though they are getting older. I think they need to play with Willie and Colvin's cap #'s some. Maybe grab a veteran backup again and draft a development guy or two. Does Banta-Cain stick? Can Claridge play? In the secondary, will Harrison make it back? We have Wilson, Samuel, Gay and Hobbs as for sure's. Some very nice talented youth in this grouping. Are the rest flip a coin types?

Looking at the above it sure doesn't appear as though the Pats are going to be in tough to field an exceptionally competitive team next year. In fact, if we get Light, Koppen, Gay and Harrison back healthy and we see continued development out of the young kids, and keep/get FA's, I see no reason why we should not be in position to field the strongest talent ever assembled on a Pats team.

Bobs My Uncle said:
So, the Pats need to re-sign Adam and either re-sign Givens and Neal or find suitable replacements for them.

That's it for critical, or immediate needs? This shouldn't be too problematic.
Yeah, it's a GREAT position

Things get more problematic after next year when Branch, Seymour, Graham, Koppen and Samuel are all UFA. Which is why all our bonus picks this year are CRITICAL because we likely can't re-sign all these guys.

BoTown said:
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but here is my two cents:

Brandon "Bam" Childress, WR - Re-signed to practice squad
Randall Gay, CB - Re-signed
Gene Mruczkowski, C - Gone
Guss Scott, S - Probably gone ala Hakim Akbar
Santonio Thomas, DT - Gone
Billy Yates, G - Re-signed to practice squad
Tom Ashworth, OT - Re-signed
Matt Chatham, LB - Re-signed
Troy Brown, WR - Re-signed (probably would've retired with a SB victory, not going out with the fumble, no way)
Andre Davis, WR - Re-signed
Don Davis, LB - Gone
Tim Dwight, WR - Gone (didn't he say he would retire after this season?)
Heath Evans, FB - Gone
Christian Fauria, TE - Probably gone, wouldn't mind seeing him come back though
Doug Flutie, QB - Retiring, though I hope he reconsiders, gotta get that ring, Doug!
David Givens, WR - Gone, will probably be offered more than the Pats are willing to give up, hope I'm wrong
Artrell Hawkins, CB - Re-signed
Stephen Neal, G - Re-signed
Hank Poteat, CB - Gone
Chad Scott, CB - Gone
Michael Stone, S - Gone
Ross Tucker, OL - Gone
Adam Vinateri, PK - Re-signed

Monty Beisel has also almost certainly played his last game in a Patriots uniform. Same with Tyrone Poole, who may as well just retire so he can stop whining about being homesick. I don't think Bethel Johnson will make the cut next season either. Good riddance to those three.

I think you are way off an quite a few players:
1) Monty Beisel - He was a PROJECT when he was brought in. He wasn't expected to be a starter immediately.
2) Billy Yates - He's been on the Practice Squad for 2 years. He's not eligible.
3) Matt Chatham - Didn't step up as a viable reserve and had quite a few special teams penalties
4) Tim Dwight - He was playing for a longer contract. Was a good punt returner for the Pats.
5) Heath Evans - Solid FB and showed he could be a viable RB in a pinch
6) Chad Scott - What did he do to NOT earn coming back?
7) Michael Stone - Probably the best special teamer the Patriots had this year in coverage.
8) Santonio Thomas - He could be re-signed for the practice squad.
9) Guss Scott - He's an exclusive rights free agent who has shown some talent. Something that Akbar didn't do.
10) Hank Poteat - He played well in his second stint with the Pats. I think he will be given another shot in TC.

Remember that the Pats will need 80+ players signed to their team.

DaBruinz said:
I think you are way off an quite a few players:
1) Monty Beisel - He was a PROJECT when he was brought in. He wasn't expected to be a starter immediately.
2) Billy Yates - He's been on the Practice Squad for 2 years. He's not eligible.
3) Matt Chatham - Didn't step up as a viable reserve and had quite a few special teams penalties
4) Tim Dwight - He was playing for a longer contract. Was a good punt returner for the Pats.
5) Heath Evans - Solid FB and showed he could be a viable RB in a pinch
6) Chad Scott - What did he do to NOT earn coming back?
7) Michael Stone - Probably the best special teamer the Patriots had this year in coverage.
8) Santonio Thomas - He could be re-signed for the practice squad.
9) Guss Scott - He's an exclusive rights free agent who has shown some talent. Something that Akbar didn't do.
10) Hank Poteat - He played well in his second stint with the Pats. I think he will be given another shot in TC.

Remember that the Pats will need 80+ players signed to their team.

See? Told you I'm no expert. :p

Though I still contend Beisel is done. Not so much because of his lackluster play as it is due to his attitude. He's not befitting a Patriot, IMO.

I don't think Andre Davis will be here next year, either.

Biesel will be.

I definitely want Givens back. He's our guy who makes the big, tough catches. He even has that playoff TD streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes