PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what's the consensus of possibly franchising Matt Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope some team pulls a truck full on money up to his house and gives him a starting job. He's earned a shot as a starter (on another team) in my opinion.

I doubt it. His game management skill can be backfire if another scores. We saw that in Colts game. It's important that he needs to throw more TDs.

Last edited:
I hope some team pulls a truck full on money up to his house and gives him a starting job. He's earned a shot as a starter (on another team) in my opinion.
Whether we can franchise and trade him or not, Cassel absolutely deserves a chance to start for someone. He's been effective for us; VERY effective given his lack of lifetime experience.

I'll believe ya when me sh!t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

I personally think that Cassel is a OK QB. 'Great' is not the word that I would like to use for him. I'm a realistic person.

I'm not happy with his red zone and mid and long range throw. I don't like a QB who depends too much on his team D. If you spend 7 mins to get to a red zone and walk away with a field goald or empty hand, it's a disappointment.

The colts game is the best example.

Only Cassel had little if anything to do with their failures in that game, did't he? :rolleyes:

Gaffney muffed a perfect TD throw and BB opted out of a 4th and 1 conversion in favor of a FG and Thomas' penalty took them out of FG range in a game lost by just 3 points with11 left on the field right there in 3 plays Cassel had no responsibility for...

Only Cassel had little if anything to do with their failures in that game, did't he? :rolleyes:

Gaffney muffed a perfect TD throw and BB opted out of a 4th and 1 conversion in favor of a FG and Thomas' penalty took them out of FG range in a game lost by just 3 points with11 left on the field right there in 3 plays Cassel had no responsibility for...

Dude... the template! Everything is either Cassel's fault or McDaniels' fault.

Do we really need to re-send the memo?

Last edited:
If they know they can trade him they will Franchise him. If they don't they won't. It's quote simple.

Agree. Either way, I'd like to be Cassel's agent if he continues to improve. He's gonna rake it in on the coming bidding war. There are some desperate teams out there who ain't goin nowhere with their current QB's. Tom went down at just the right time for this 8-year benchwarmer, and Cassel has raised his stock considerably.

Dude... the template! Everything is either Cassel's fault or McDaniels' fault.

Do we really need to re-send the memo?

Hey, some of us are really, really old and forget easy.

It would take some wheeling and dealing but I think Minnesota is the place for Matt, I think we could even wrangle first round pick out of it.

Nothing against Cassel but I hope their is no need for him next year on the Pats.

Nothing against Cassel but I hope their is no need for him next year on the Pats.

I hope so too since, barring either injury or an absolute collapse on his part, he'll be playing for another team.

I need to make 4 points:

1- It is not the first time Pats scored less than 18 pts per game.
2- Cassel's medium and long range throw is below average.
3- When Cassel fails to deliver miserably, what do I hear? D and this and that player. Do you know that if Cassel does his job WELL, he will improve our odd at winning even though we miss a field goald or have a penalty?
4- It's Cassel who EXECUTES the game plan on the field.

Last edited:
I need to make 4 points:

3- When Cassel fails to deliver miserably, what do I hear? D and this and that player. Do you know that if Cassel does his job WELL, he will improve our odd at winning even though we miss a field goald or have a penalty?

I object to #2. His medium range throws the last two weeks have been absolutely on the money. I think you're being blinded by watching Brady this whole decade. Brady isn't just a great QB, he's a HOF QB. Cassel, by comparison, is no Tom Brady. But Cassel has shown through the first 9 weeks that he is - in comparison to QBs other than Brady, Manning, etc. - worthy of starting in this league.

Last edited:
I need to make 4 points:

Cassel has more than showed himself to be a starting QB in the NFL. We are spoiled as we are comparing him to Tom Brady, but when you compare him to the Tavarus Jackson, Rex Grossmen, or Whoever is currently QBing the Lions, then it is quite apparent that Cassel belongs in the NFL.

Even without franchising him, Cassel will most likley land the Pats a 3rd round comp pick in 2010.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday