PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do you grade this year’s draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fat Matt doesn't want competition in the cafeteria.

OK, I would have preferred that the 2023 3rd be traded back into this year and used on a Defensive Six player. However, that is ME. Clearly, the patriots strongly believe in who they have and/or who they can acquire in free agency or trade. They simply didn't want to guarantee a front six play a roster spot.

What I love about both rookie CBs is that they’re both sticky in coverage & they’re physical as hell. Love to tackle/hit. High energy guys.

It's a strong class. I wouldn't have traded out of that 3rd round spot we had even with the great trade value since Chenal was available. A big ast guy like Chenal seems like a prototypical Patriot.

Chenal was atrocious in coverage. Not what we need - another in the box guy that can not cover the RB or TE.

Could be a great draft, could be a good draft.

McDuffie looks like a hit. He's got all the tools. Consensus 1st Rounder - surprised the Pats didn't take him at 21.

Karlaftis is more like Strange. He should be good and has a high floor. But he needs to get better against the run.

Skyy Moore is a guy who fits more with the way the Pats play than with the speed show in KC. Weird, but I would have expected the two picks, Moore and Thornton, to be reversed! Good player.

Bryan Cook looks like a poor man's Honey Badger. Another good pick.

Leo Chenal is boom or bust.

This is a really good draft for KC. Not quite on par with New England's...LAST YEAR, but close, in my opinion. I still think KC took a big step back with their FA/trade losses this year. Tyreek Hill in that Andy Reid offense with Mahomes throwing to him was the thing that had them over the top and then some.

McDuffie is a 4.45 40 guy, the Pats wanted faster guys considering the WR speed in the division.

Karlaftis is older with little upside - solid pick like Strange.

I can't project WRs so no idea on Moore, but the Pats had their choice and picked Thornton (even traded up to get him).

Chenal was awful in coverage - strictly an in-the-box LB, not what we needed. I love what he showed taking on guards and rushing, but his agility is poor.

I like the speed they got on offense. I could see Strong and Marcus Jones on kickoffs.

Only complaint is they didn’t address the front 7. Their D-line and LB’s are among the worst in the league and get exposed against good teams. I now expect Bill to sign Akiem Hicks and/or Trey Flowers. We’re probably stuck with the LB’s they have.

Worst in the league is over the top.

We have no idea how good the young LBs will be (or not), so worst in the league is trolling, please be better than that.

The D-line is weak I agree, and fingers crossed, Hicks and Flowers are the plan. If not it will be a long season. I think the plan is 2023 for a deep playoff run.

I think the defensive line was not addressed... The run defense was abysmal and now they want to go with smaller linebackers... I think theyre gonna get swallowed up by guards. We badly need a nose tackle and we didn't get a run stuffer.... A 6th rounder doesn't really count

I agree. This part of the draft was disappointing. Let's hope there is another plan other than watching Carl Davis again (like when they traded for a DT).

McDuffie is a 4.45 40 guy, the Pats wanted faster guys considering the WR speed in the division.

Karlaftis is older with little upside - solid pick like Strange.

I can't project WRs so no idea on Moore, but the Pats had their choice and picked Thornton (even traded up to get him).

Chenal was awful in coverage - strictly an in-the-box LB, not what we needed. I love what he showed taking on guards and rushing, but his agility is poor.
Are you confusing Karlaftis with someone else? He's 21 years old. Not very old at all. I think he's going to be excellent for KC.

what the heck is wrong with him? he runs a 4.4 40

I think it was a 4.5 40, but that should be good enough. Look at his coverage ststs for 2021. They are abysmal. No agility is my guess, only straight line speed.

Are you confusing Karlaftis with someone else? He's 21 years old. Not very old at all. I think he's going to be excellent for KC.

Yes I was. Thanks for pointing that out. He will be solid but doubt he will be great, but I could be wrong.

I'm going to give this draft a C for now. C as in cautiously optimistic. If this draft were judged on round 1 alone, the grade would be a lot lower, but the Patriots did address more needs as the draft progressed particularly in rounds 2, 3, and 4.

We played it too safe with Cole Strange, a guy who is more of a 2nd round talent and a guard, to take him in the 1st. In general you don't take guards in the first because they're just not a premium position and quality guards can be found later.

Tyquan Thornton is a boom or bust pick, he has the potential to be great, or he could become the next Bethel Johnson. The speed is real, 4.28 40 is RARE and can truly stretch a defense, but can he grasp our offense and become that #1 outside threat that we clearly craved when we paid Agholor the big free agent dollars? Thornton was also initially ranked by a lot of pundits and draftniks in the 4th round, however the immediate run of receivers tells me that Thornton could have gone in the 2nd if we waited longer, although maybe not necessarily at #50.

Marcus Jones is perhaps the best value pick of the draft. He combines the ability to play slot corner against the quickest guys in the NFL along with an electric ability as both kick and punt returner that some analysts have compared to the likes of Devin Hester/Dante Hall. Whether he's our nickel corner or a ST ace, I feel Marcus Jones will find a way to contribute so this is probably my least worried about pick and in the 3rd round the value felt spot on.

As for the other picks of note, Pierre Strong also gives us another explosive speedy threat from the HB position with his 4.37 40, the big question remains, will he get enough playing time as a rookie when our RB corps is already stacked with Harris, White, and Stevenson?

I didn't like spending a 4th round pick on a QB when other needs could have been addressed. I didn't like that we drafted a 2nd RB who is likely going to get cut during training camp unless he turns out to be a Bolden-level special teamer. I didn't like that we didn't address DT earlier and we didn't draft a single linebacker when our LBs either proved too slow or unable to exhibit proper tackling against the Bills in both blowout losses last year.

So there is potential to have a decent draft class, especially if say at least 3 of these guys pan out as starter level players. But it could end up being a very poor one, especially if Tyquan Thornton busts, and then the only guys to stick to the roster are Strange and Marcus Jones. Don't even talk to me if Strange busts. That would be awful. So a C overall I feel is a fair grade.

The difference between this draft class and 2021 is like Night and Day. Most likely I feel the reasons is the person who stacked the draft board. In 2021 the Pats seemed much more aware of how our 'guys' were regarded vs other players available at the time taken. In 2022 it felt like Groh struggled to convey this relative 'draft value' or 'draft consensus' awareness and thus we ended up making several 'reach' picks, when a little extra patience would have yielded better value overall. In the 2022 draft the Pats seemed oblivious to the fact that many regarded Strange as a 3rd round or later pick, and was calculated at a 93% chance to last until pick 54. This tied their hands and likely cost us a player at a 'premium position' and G is definitely not a premium draft position.

I will conclude that for the most part, the Patriots did address positions of need, they just reached for these 'need' positions earlier than we would have liked. In the end results are what matters. Let's see what these players can do. If they work out, then it was a great draft class even with all the reaching, if these guys turn out worse than the options that were taken after them, oh boy it's gonna be the return of N'Keal Harry all over again but even worse because so many of these 2022 picks were considered 'reaches' by consensus of the media/draft analysts.

Last edited:
I think you forgot about Wade. Hope he is good to go this year. A 3rd physical CB.
Love Wade’s talent/2020 tape, but I was particularly focusing on the rooks. Hope he can stick around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand