PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Snaps for young guys

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If we can't get the young draft picks snaps in a meaningless game against an 0-8 team then when are we going to? Duggar and Uche combined for 8 snaps last night. Miles Bryant got 11 and Terez Hall got 30. Those guys are not even NFL caliber players why are they getting snaps ahead of two high draft picks? I mean seriously, what would the drop off be? We got gashed in the run and until the Jets realized they might actually win the game and stopped playing we were getting torched against the corpse of Joe Flacco. Also the nonsense about Winovich being a liability against the run is overrated. He made two nice plays against the run last night and has a ridiculous motor. There were multiple times I saw him get close to Flacco then whomever ended up with the ball 10 yards down field he was right there in the mix as well. He is a guy who should only be coming off the field for a breather and not because they want to get Nick Thurman, of all people, in the game. This is a lost year and Bill has said as much. Get these young guys out there and see if they can play.

Dugger is still dealing with an injury, and he doesn't play the same position as Bryant anyway. At best, complain that he didn't get the 9 snaps that went to Brooks (although I guess they both may have been on the field for some of those).

Dugger is still dealing with an injury, and he doesn't play the same position as Bryant anyway. At best, complain that he didn't get the 9 snaps that went to Brooks (although I guess they both may have been on the field for some of those).

Then let him play that Adrian Phillips role. Phillips is going to get steam rolled next week if they have him at LB. See if Duggar can do it. As far as injuries if he is suited up he is healthy enough to play as far as I am concerned. So many excuses for these guys not seeing the field.

Uche barely playing after flashing against the Bills is nonsense.

Winovich not being a fulltime player is nonsense. He has the highest run stop % out of any pats EDGE player & nearly double that of Simon who offers next to nothing in the pass rushing department.

Throw in Meyers WR4 to start the season, JJ Taylor banished & Jason McCourty playing it hasn’t been Bill’s finest coaching job IMO.

Winovich not being a fulltime player is nonsense. He has the highest run stop % out of any pats EDGE player & nearly double that of Simon who offers next to nothing in the pass rushing department.

Throw in Meyers WR4 to start the season, JJ Taylor banished & Jason McCourty playing it hasn’t been Bill’s finest coaching job IMO.
I don't think making one play constitutes a "flash".

It’s almost like he’s been trying to field an inferior team.

Yep I’m getting to that point. People think tanking is players deliberately losing games. In reality it’s more like starting practice squad guys over better players, putting players with minor injuries on IR, having veterans sit who, had the season been going well, would be playing, and maybe even mix in a 12 men of defense penalty on 4th down to give the other team a new set of downs.

Been saying this **** for days. Makes you less of a fan. Idk what’s worse, being a fan and not giving a **** about winning an unexciting, meaningless game or being happy you won said meaningless game while admitting your coach can’t draft worth **** because he seems to have a hard time playing his own draft picks.

Been saying this **** for days. Makes you less of a fan. Idk what’s worse, being a fan and not giving a **** about winning an unexciting, meaningless game or being happy you won said meaningless game while admitting your coach can’t draft worth **** because he seems to have a hard time playing his own draft picks.
What I like the most are those who say a higher draft pick doesn’t matter are usually the same people trying to excuse away the whiffs, citing the team’s historically lower pick in each round in this era. On what planet does that even begin to make sense? If you believe the latter, you should want the former in a year that the team isn’t going anywhere.

Duggar is from division 2. That is like putting a 5th grader on the field of a high school football team. He may have been an athletic freak against d2 players, but in the nfl, he is barely average athletically and he’s never had the benefit of a real strength and conditioning program! Hence, he breaks down faster than a 1970’s Ford pinto running wide open on the interstate!

uche did not have a position or consistent playing time at Michigan! Is it any wonder he can’t find a spot or playing time on our roster?

this is not rocket science!

Duggar is from division 2. That is like putting a 5th grader on the field of a high school football team. He may have been an athletic freak against d2 players, but in the nfl, he is barely average athletically and he’s never had the benefit of a real strength and conditioning program! Hence, he breaks down faster than a 1970’s Ford pinto running wide open on the interstate!

uche did not have a position or consistent playing time at Michigan! Is it any wonder he can’t find a spot or playing time on our roster?

this is not rocket science!

Duggar was also a 23 year old playing against kids in Div 2, he is clearly out of his league in the NFL and a truely putrid draft pick! How many times is BB going to try and draft a Safety and fail? Duggar will be out of the NFL before his rookie deal expires.

I am not ready to call anyone in the 2020 class a bust yet. I just don't know why this year, of all years, they aren't getting snaps for any other reason than tanking. We have nothing to lose by playing them. They screw up a play here and there and we go 5-12 instead of 7-9 as far as I am concerned that's a good thing. I am far more frustrated watching practice squad nobodies out there than I am losing games this year as my expectations were low to begin with.

I am not ready to call anyone in the 2020 class a bust yet. I just don't know why this year, of all years, they aren't getting snaps for any other reason than tanking. We have nothing to lose by playing them. They screw up a play here and there and we go 5-12 instead of 7-9 as far as I am concerned that's a good thing. I am far more frustrated watching practice squad nobodies out there than I am losing games this year as my expectations were low to begin with.
Football teams play to win. Football players earn playing time. There are 53 players plus on this team and the purpose of this team is to develop each of those players while winning as many games as possible. Losing on purpose, playing players who haven’t earned playing time, putting players on the field “to see what they do” are all contrary to how you build a winning football team. If belichick did what you want this team would be terrible for years to come and he would ultimately be gone. You couldn’t have played any competitive team sports if this is your attitude.

Football teams play to win. Football players earn playing time. There are 53 players plus on this team and the purpose of this team is to develop each of those players while winning as many games as possible. Losing on purpose, playing players who haven’t earned playing time, putting players on the field “to see what they do” are all contrary to how you build a winning football team. If belichick did what you want this team would be terrible for years to come and he would ultimately be gone. You couldn’t have played any competitive team sports if this is your attitude.
Playing good football players wins games. Playing JAGs off the street does not. Besides winning is not the primary objective at this point. Bill has all but said so.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back