PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign Or Replace Our Own And Then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This may seem simplistic, but, for me, we had the top team in the NFL going into the pre-season. We had many injuries, and we went into the playoffs as the #1 team. We ended up as #2. IMHO, if we sign our own, we are likely to be at the very top in the SB hunt once again. And yes, there are extensions, cuts and contract changes that would increase the cap money available.

IMHO, compared to other seasons, we are in fine shape.

Solder
Fleming
Waddle
Lewis (not likely)
Burkhead
Amendola
Francois
Flowers
Harrison
Bademosi
Butler (NOT BLOODY LIKELY)
Ebner
King (I forget whether we have extended him)
Slater (if he doesn't retire)

IMHO, we still need a LB or two. And, we need to draft the LT of the future.

Last edited:
This may seem simplistic, but for me we had the top team in the NFL going into the pre-season. We had many injuries, and we went into the playoffs as the #1 team. We ended up as #2. IMHO, if we sign our own, we are likely to be at the very top in the SB hunt once again. And yes, there are extensions, cuts and contract changes that would increase the cap money available.

IMHO, compared to other season, we are in fine shape.

Solder
Fleming
Waddle
Lewis (not likely)
Burkhead
Amendola
Francois
Flowers
Harrison
Bademosi
Ebner

Hoping solder still wants to play. I would like them to resign him. Idk if Lewis will be back. I expect to lose some of those guys and resign some but i would like them to add some players on defense.

In order of resigning priorities, IMO. :cool:

1. Solder
2. Amendola
3. Lewis
4. Flowers
5. Burkhead.
6. Harrison

I would have placed Butler in the Top 3, if we had a chance at him. But he gone. :(

I think we will lose 2 of 3 tackles. I think teams will overpay for Fleming or Waddle, but if we lose Solder we may have to. :mad:

These guys are all back if we want them, and they might come cheap. ;)

Francois
Bademosi
Butler
Ebner
King

Solder Solder Solder Solder Solder

PLYERS THAT MIGHT COME CHEAP

a) You list Butler. If you mean Adam Butler, our DL find, he is signed through 2019.

b) Bademosi might cost a bit more than we think. He showed that he is capable of starting in a pinch, so needy teams might pay him as a backup, rather than just as an STer and emergency corner.

c) King is an RFA, and not even with the lowest amount, so he is likely to be signed soon at minimum.

d) Francois should be brought to camp.

e) Ebner could certainly be re-signed. I'm not sure that his body is up for continuing, he gets injured a lot. But, it's up to him. He is a fine protector on ST's and he doesn't cost much.

In order of resigning priorities, IMO. :cool:

1. Solder
2. Amendola
3. Lewis
4. Flowers
5. Burkhead.
6. Harrison

I would have placed Butler in the Top 3, if we had a chance at him. But he gone. :(

I think we will lose 2 of 3 tackles. I think teams will overpay for Fleming or Waddle, but if we lose Solder we may have to. :mad:

These guys are all back if we want them, and they might come cheap. ;)

Francois
Bademosi
Butler
Ebner
King

This may seem simplistic, but for me we had the top team in the NFL going into the pre-season. We had many injuries, and we went into the playoffs as the #1 team. We ended up as #2. IMHO, if we sign our own, we are likely to be at the very top in the SB hunt once again. And yes, there are extensions, cuts and contract changes that would increase the cap money available.

IMHO, compared to other season, we are in fine shape.

Solder
Fleming
Waddle
Lewis (not likely)
Burkhead
Amendola
Francois
Flowers
Harrison
Bademosi
Ebner

King is still listed as RFA on the OTC site. I'm guessing that they don't make the low-round tender (which should be something in excess of $1.8M), but offer him something like 2 years at $1.8M total.

Slater isn't on your list, FYI.
----------

The biggie for me is Solder - probably 2-3 years at +/- $12M AAV, up to 75% guaranteed (his last contract was 99% guaranteed).

After that, one of Fleming/Waddle. Based on a couple recent OL re-signings/extensions, their contract floors might be 2-3 years at $4M AAV.

After that probably one of Lewis/Burkhead.

Both Amendola ($3.5M?) and Marquis Flowers, I hope.

Ebner, certainly (2 years, $1.5M AAV). Slater, if he doesn't retire (1 year, ~$1.8M, like last time). Bademosi, if possible.

Francois and Harrison would likely both be post-draft re-signings at right around veteran minimum (~$2M for the pair of them, just for rough cap figuring purposes).

After that?

Maybe Jonathan Stewart at something a bit above veteran minimum to fill the fourth RB spot for a year.

Dwayne Allen gets extended-restructured down to about $2.25M for 2018 and sticks around along with Hollister. Perhaps Will Tye gets some consideration for a #2 receiving TE role (depends on how Allen and Hollister come along with their receiving).
..... Maybe less than a 40% chance that Bennett is back, IMHO.

Somewhere along the line, I'm hoping they'll have freed up enough cap space to be able to sign a decent ILB/MLB type with NFL experience, and/or a SS type. Another, relatively cheap 315+ lb DT would also be good.

I think the rest is going to be up to last year's returning injured and draft acquisitions and this year's draft picks/UDFAs.

I'm really not envisioning any headline-grabbing UFA signings or trades.

Which means, of course, one or the other of those things will happen immediately. ;)

PLYERS THAT MIGHT COME CHEAP

a) You list Butler. If you mean Adam Butler, our DL find, he is signed through 2019.

b) Bademosi might cost a bit more than we think. He showed that he is capable of starting in a pinch, so needy teams might pay him as a backup, rather than just as an STer and emergency corner.

c) King is an RFA, and not even with the lowest amount, so he is likely to be signed soon at minimum.

d) Francois should be brought to camp.

e) Ebner could certainly be re-signed. I'm not sure that his body is up for continuing, he gets injured a lot. But, it's up to him. He is a fine protector on ST's and he doesn't cost much.

My bad, I meant to take Butler's name off that list.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 1h1 hour ago
Danny Amendola’s market is heating up. Wouldn’t be surprised if he landed between $3M and $5M annually. The Patriots will have to make a competitive offer.

I think Danny "clutch" is worth every penny. I'd make him a high priority, right behind Solder.

I want Solder, Amendola and Burkhead back. If they can improve on our other free agents at a reasonable cost, then do that. I think Lewis is as good as gone. I'd love to cut Gillislee, and I think Blount is a free agent, would love to sign him and Bilal Powell. He can be Lewis' replacement at a much lower cost.

Jeff Howe‏ @jeffphowe 1h1 hour ago
Danny Amendola’s market is heating up. Wouldn’t be surprised if he landed between $3M and $5M annually. The Patriots will have to make a competitive offer.

I think Danny "clutch" is worth every penny. I'd make him a high priority, right behind Solder.

If this offense has Solder, Dola and Gronk back we're fine. Pretty confident we can get a rb or 2 to pair with James White. Would allow us to focus our draft and remaining cap space on defense.

Nate Solder have to be a priority because he's our Best LT on the Roster. Not good news on last years Third Rounder Tony Garcia.

Patriots Tony Gacria missed last year due to blood clots in lungs

Tony Garcia was a beefed up TE type player to begin with losing over 40 including playing strength he has to be considered a project going into next year. He wasn't the Strongest guy to begin with not good injury to start off NFL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes