PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Sidy Sow - Round 4 - 117th overall

More likely scenario:
Sow turns into a solid G, with the potential to kick out to T if needed.
Mafi is your backup G
Strange at G
Andrews at C
Another year looking for two T's.

"What the **** was wrong with looking for OTs THIS year?!?"

- Mac Jones

And when has that "red-shirting" process ever worked here?
I think that’s a problem. Players that are drafted high and then redshirted for the most part become complacent. They don’t grow quickly enough and end up being a waisted pick. IMO that will be the case with Mapu, Mafi and Andrews.

I think that’s a problem. Players that are drafted high and then redshirted for the most part become complacent. They don’t grow quickly enough and end up being a waisted pick. IMO that will be the case with Mapu, Mafi and Andrews.

James White, Josh Uche.

Competitive athletes don't become complacent by training and working out to develop into professional athletes.

James White, Josh Uche.

Competitive athletes don't become complacent by training and working out to develop into professional athletes.
Yes and there are dozens that never made it by being complacent. They are living the good life with good pay and little work. Players are human too.

Yes and there are dozens that never made it by being complacent. They are living the good life with good pay and little work. Players are human too.

Yes and a bunch of drafted NFL players are not that competitive- just physically gifted. But I think being non-competitive is a natural state, not something learned due to limited playtime as a rookie.

Yes I agree that all three were HORRIBLE picks, but at least McPoo should contribute something at some time somewhere, maybe...

As soon as he "recovers" from his injury, that is...

(Little Billy drafting damaged goods? The ****ens you say!)

I also agree that Fat Tony Mafia doesn't deserve a chair ANYWHERE inside the building... This ****ing immobile, Criminally over-drafted, ****ing useless-to-us ****ing slob makes Chasin' 'Hinds look like Tyquan Thornton.

And the ONLY thing positive about Jake The hopefully not Newest Fake is that his Thoroughly and Completely ****ing Undeserved status as the 107th overall pick makes Thanksdad finally superfluous... It would also help if the aforementioned 'Hinds would start taking snaps at Center again, just in case... There's also last year's UDFA darling Cody Russey...

I'm starting this now: There is No Way that Thanksdad makes the team...

Last edited:
"What the **** was wrong with looking for OTs THIS year?!?"

- Mac Jones
Probably, after the first 2 went off the board, they decided none were better than Anderson or Reiff and the rest of the hodgepodge they have at the position. Not that I don't disagree with you, C, I thought we'd grab one in the 4th or 6th rounds. But you and I are making basically uneducated decisions and have about 10% of the information and experience to making those decisions.

I mean I was SOOOOOO sure that Kraft was going to us in the 3rd, I was thinking about all the cute Kraft lines that were going to come out. And of course then I have to run to the computer to find out who the **** a Mapu. And of course wondering why we could draft Washington all the way down to the 6th round, or Carter the Pitt OT, at some point. I guess that what happens when you do a mock draft every day for a month. You THINK you know how the draft will go.

BTW- after missing shot after shot at getting at least ONE Jones, we DID add a Bolden and its is always a good thing to have a Bolden on the roster.

I don't get all the handwringing and projections moving Cole Strange or Mafi to tackle... why?

Trent Brown is your left tackle, there's a competition on the right between Reiff, Anderson and possibly Sow... who has the best length among the rookies.

Trent Brown is in a contract year, the last time he was going to be a free agent he played at a Pro Bowl level... the motivation is already baked in. This year the offense will be more disciplined, you won't see the mistakes, assuming health he will be fine if not dominant. They may even extend him on a short 2-3 year deal if he produces.

Reiff and Anderson have already proven they can start, McDermott is a proven backup and swingman. Sow and Cajuste are the x-factors that could change the whole dynamic. Sow is 6'5," he is a dancing bear of an athlete. With good coaching he could probably play OT pretty easy. He reminds me a little of Marcus Cannon after he lost weight.

Mafi is Onwenu insurance in case he gets a stupid large offer and leaves via free agency. Mafi was too beat up to workout pre-draft, they could and possibly will slide him on the IR to start the season. Either way, he doesn't have OT length and is a guard. They have plenty of OT depth, they'll be fine this year and will have an other first round pick next year if Trent leaves.

You have no clue why they never made it. Assuming they became complacent is a lazy take.

Why can’t the Patriots offer big dollars for at least one OL position like all 31 other teams do in order to have top tier experienced talent at a critical position?
Why do they not plan to give 2nd contracts to talent that they drafted and developed?
The latest example of this is Thuney. I bet the Chiefs think he's worth what they paid for him. KC helped fix their OL woes and took a major contributor away from the Pats. If the situation were reversed it'd be hailed as a genius move by Bill.

there are numerous examples of players not playing or being extremely limited during their first year with the Pats. Shane Vereen, James White and Josh Uche are 2 examples. Wynn's time with the team started well after missing his rookie season.

Probably, after the first 2 went off the board, they decided none were better than Anderson or Reiff and the rest of the hodgepodge they have at the position. Not that I don't disagree with you, C, I thought we'd grab one in the 4th or 6th rounds. But you and I are making basically uneducated decisions and have about 10% of the information and experience to making those decisions.

I mean I was SOOOOOO sure that Kraft was going to us in the 3rd, I was thinking about all the cute Kraft lines that were going to come out. And of course then I have to run to the computer to find out who the **** a Mapu. And of course wondering why we could draft Washington all the way down to the 6th round, or Carter the Pitt OT, at some point. I guess that what happens when you do a mock draft every day for a month. You THINK you know how the draft will go.

BTW- after missing shot after shot at getting at least ONE Jones, we DID add a Bolden and its is always a good thing to have a Bolden on the roster.
cupboard was bare at the Bolden position

I can't judge the Sidy Sow pick, I might be screaming about how brilliant it was in a year or two, who knows. All I know is that I don't like the pick because of the temptation to emulate the South Park "City Wok" joke which really is racist even though a beloved cartoon uses it. Repeatedly. Anybody who does not like Sow's performance has a go-to expression of their disapproval. SMH in advance.

I wonder, given that this is a contract year, if they kick him out to right tackle where he’s maybe just ok vs elite keeping his market Value down a bit?

The contract that ATL gave Lindstrom was insane. If Onwenu can command 20 million a year then I think letting him walk makes sense. Would rather spend that on an elite tackle.
If Onwenu puts up another season like he did, he'll command it because he'll be a top 3 RG in the league. Thanks to the new TV contracts hitting, the Salaries as we knew them are changing. For instance, I believe the rookie minimum is $750K this year. Think about that. Rookies used to be lucky to get $250K

With the Pats looking at a projected 100-120M in free cap space. OTC has them at 38 players, but that doesn't include 11 of the draft picks. It also includes DMac and bubble players like Hines, Perkins, Jennings, Wade and back up LS Tucker Addington who is likely gone since they brought back Cardona. The Pats are sitting pretty to give "Market" contracts to players like Onwenu and Dugger. With the way proration works, they could STILL get an "ELITE" tackle. Contracts for those "ELITE" tackles are in averaging 21.85M. The question is whether or not an "ELITE" OT will be available in 2022. I don't see there being one based that is under 32. You can check the projected free agents for 2024 out on OTC.

One of the changes that I noticed in the Patriots is that they brought back a majority of their own Free Agents. Usually, it's only about 50%. They had 18 UFAs this year. They've re-signed 11 of them to this point with 4 moving on to this point. Only Palardy, Cannon and Wynn are unsigned and it's likely that Cannon is retiring.

The latest example of this is Thuney. I bet the Chiefs think he's worth what they paid for him. KC helped fix their OL woes and took a major contributor away from the Pats. If the situation were reversed it'd be hailed as a genius move by Bill.

Yep.

All that money given to a short Right ****ing Guard should've been ear-marked for Thuney, the CLEARLY Superior talent at a more critical position along the OL.

Notgoat's done his buddy Chumley a couple of other favors for the Queefs' OL too... Packers did a Big one as well.

Yep.

All that money given to a short Right ****ing Guard should've been ear-marked for Thuney, the CLEARLY Superior talent at a more critical position along the OL.

Notgoat's done his buddy Chumley a couple of other favors for the Queefs' OL too... Packers did a Big one as well.
So now you want to give "T-Rex arms" Thuney a lot of money after dogging the drafting of him back in 2016? I guess this you admitting you were very much wrong?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back