Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should we extend Gilmore?

• Total voters
They absolutely gave him extra in 2020. He was scheduled to receive $10.5m in cash in 2020 but instead they gave him $15.5m. They didn't have to do it but they did.

It's not about contract value to Gilly. It's about straight cash that hits his bank account on an annual basis.

No. His overall contract they didn't give him 5m more total money. They slid 5m up a year early. I think Gilmore is one of those rare players you give the guy the cash. Don't mess it up like they did with Gronk and Brady.

This is a guy who was a rare defensive player of the year, still made the pro bowl last year, the guy is still an elite talent.

No. His overall contract they didn't give him 5m more total money. They slid 5m up a year early.

This is a guy who was a rare defensive player of the year, still made the pro bowl last year, the guy is still an elite talent.
They could slide him a few million this year, but I'd prefer a 2-year deal. Because, yes, he is indeed still elite.

No. His overall contract they didn't give him 5m more total money. They slid 5m up a year early. I think Gilmore is one of those rare players you give the guy the cash. Don't mess it up like they did with Gronk and Brady.

A contract is nothing without actually being paid.

They could have cut/traded him and not pay him anything in 2020 or in 2021

There is contract value and how cash payouts are dispersed, when and in different forms. Bonuses, game checks, incentives, etc.

In 2020 Gilly wanted straight cash ASAP. The Patriots were under no obligation to accelerate payment from 2021 but they did.

In 2021 he wants cash again. What we don't know is in what form.

Deal re-structures happen all the time.

I have no idea why these sportswriters think things are hunky dory between the NEP and Gilly and it'll all work itself out.

The NEP PoV
  • He's a soon-to-be 31 year old CB who is coming off an injury plagued, down year by his standards- but still very good when healthy
  • He's made on average $14.1m over the life of the deal. It's not like he was underpaid
  • At $15.5m in cash for 2020 he was slightly overpaid for his performance and availability. Pats won't forget that. They did him a solid and they got f'ed in the butt
Pats will throw some new money at him but large majority of it will be in incentives.

He's going to get the Brady Gronk contract treatment.

If he scoffs at that......he better hunker down.
You have stated your position well. There is no reason to believe that this is the position of the patriots.

I think that
1) Gilmore will play for the patriots in 2021.
2) Gilmore will pocket more that $10M in 2021.

You have stated your position well. There is no reason to believe that this is the position of the patriots.

I think that
1) Gilmore will play for the patriots in 2021.
2) Gilmore will pocket more that $10M in 2021.
So a $3M+ bump for 2021?

Based on his rhetoric (which has been measured) I don't seem him agreeable to that. We'll see..

No people like sports fans are so reliably eager to be on the side of management.

If he accepts a 3 million dollar up this year, look for him to ask for a no tag... If the team ponies up something like an additional 6m this year, bringing it to 13m i would wager the team retains the right to tag him... there will be no dead money, and the Pats get to see how he looks going into 22 before having to make a real decision on a new deal...

If he accepts a 3 million dollar up this year, look for him to ask for a no tag... If the team ponies up something like an additional 6m this year, bringing it to 13m i would wager the team retains the right to tag him... there will be no dead money, and the Pats get to see how he looks going into 22 before having to make a real decision on a new deal...
I don't see them tagging a 32 year old CB. They'll let him walk.

No people like sports fans are so reliably eager to be on the side of management.
What does that mean? Fans follow teams first which is management by default. Team are part of our societal fabric.

Players are transient and mercenary-like in their motivations.

What does that mean? Fans follow teams first which is management by default. Team are part of our societal fabric.

Players are transient and mercenary-like in their motivations.

I mean how when the GM manages to get a player to take a paycut on a deal that they had previously signed it’s cheered as a great move but when a player wants a pay raise it’s derided.

I mean how when the GM manages to get a player to take a paycut on a deal that they had previously signed it’s cheered as a great move but when a player wants a pay raise it’s derided.
I hear you. I actually have zero problem with Gilly or any player who wants more $.

It shouldn't be derided when a player tries to use any leverage he can find to do what is right for him and/or his family (unless it was someone like N'Keal harry holding out for a big contract having done nothing to earn it). But the interesting thing is, why should we deride the GM for trying to get discounts either? It's not like they're doing it out of greed. If Bill Belichick gets Gilmore to play for $5m less than he's worth, Bill doesn't pocket $5m. Hell, Kraft doesn't really either, because with the salary cap you generally spend pretty close to it every year (or it averages out as such over a certain period of time). Gilmore making less means another player (or group of players) is probably making more. So there's no reason to blame a player for trying to do right by himself, nor is there reason to blame a GM or team for choosing to pay X player over Y, outside of personal opinion on which positions you would value in their shoes.

You mean his departure after this year? How about a wasted upcoming season with a disgruntled player who will inevitably get 'injured' for a bunch of games. I personally would still like to go all out and see how far this team could go.

he’s not part of long term plans … you don’t give big extensions to 32 year olds….that’s when revis fell off a cliff…..no thanks

I’m not certain on how the calendar works, but aren’t the Patriots out of this year’s comp pick running due to all their free agent signings?

could be…..but no big new money to a 32 year old send that $ to the next big fa cb

could be…..but no big new money to a 32 year old send that $ to the next big fa cb

I agree…spend huge there if they can. But it’s hard to find a guy like younger Gilmore that doesn’t get franchised or extended.

They could slide him a few million this year, but I'd prefer a 2-year deal. Because, yes, he is indeed still elite.

Yeah agree. I'm fine if they extend him through his prime with little cap damage in the contract if he's cut or traded his last year. It's frustrating to watch a passive Pats defense without an elite corner, it ends up being death by a thousand cuts.

Figure something out for this and next year then move on.

Extend Gilmore, play Mac most of this year to get him ready. Go all in for 2022 and hope Mac makes that big 2nd year jump at QB.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back