PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the NFL adopt college football overtime rules?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL adopt college football overtime rules?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Yes, with some important modifications (explain)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No. Keep to NFL rules, and modify it in its current form

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Tie games suck...NFL should consider adopting a college football format for deciding tied games

I propose normal OT rules with the 15 minute OT period, and if there is no score, College OT rules until someone wins.

I propose normal OT rules with the 15 minute OT period, and if there is no score, College OT rules until someone wins.
Either that or field goal shootout? Or maybe they just go for 2 until someone makes/misses?

Hell no.
Leave it the way it is. Now and then (and not very often at all) there's a tie. So what? I'll take a tie over college's OT abomination every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I say go back to sudden death. Score first, win. Your team didn't get a chance on Offense? Too bad, you should have stopped them.

Of course, I am also for dropping one (if not both) Wild Card slots. Win your division, win your conference, win the title.

Either that or field goal shootout? Or maybe they just go for 2 until someone makes/misses?
Nah... Because both of those could go on and on and on...

I think it should stay as a contest of all phases of the game (kickoffs, full-field defense and offense, punts, field position etc). After listening to belichick over the years, I have come to the frame of mind that the better team is who is better in all phases....not just red zone defense/offense. I would maybe only suggest that the game can only end after an even number of possessions.

People are just fine with shootouts in other sports though, so to each their own.

Yes, they should. But making this thread because of a tie is lame.

Yes, they should. But making this thread because of a tie is lame.
And yet you commented on it, but then again I have now commented on it twice and the second time was in response to your comment complaining about the thread; I guess what I'm trying to say is, we are all lame.

And yet you commented on it, but then again I have now commented on it twice and the second time was in response to your comment complaining about the thread; I guess what I'm trying to say is, we are all lame.

Eh, You can choose to be lame. But tonight and forever, I'll always be awesome!:)

Hell no.
Leave it the way it is. Now and then (and not very often at all) there's a tie. So what? I'll take a tie over college's OT abomination every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Without being condescending to CFB, outside of an egregious rule/interpretation, I'm fine with there being differences.

Tie games suck...NFL should consider adopting a college football format for deciding tied games

I agree with sudden death just continuing with another 15 minute quarter. However, I kind of like the Seahawks/Cards game being a tie since both teams seemed to go out of their way to not win the thing. The game encapsulates perfectly the watered down nature of the league - these are supposed to be two of the best teams in football and that's the best they put on the field in a nationally televised game? No wonder ratings are down!

Leave it alone. I'm fine with it the way it is.

If you REALLY needed to make a change, for whatever reason, then I have a simple solution. Add a full 15 minute period (a 5th period, as it were) and let the teams play through it. Whoever wins, wins, and if the teams are tied, then it ends in a tie.

I like the way it was. Sudden death made ot feel somewhat scary and I miss how intense the coin flip felt. The coin felt like it once had all the power in the world and fate/luck decided the winner and I had no problem with that because neither team got it done in regulation.

Also, I hate college OT. The short field undermines the strategy portion of the game like punting or going for it etc.

Actually, that game was terrible on both sides. They deserved a tie - actually they should give them both losses.

On Thursday we get the Jags versus the titans. UGLY. The league has an issue as the product is pretty stinky.

I believe in an equal number of possessions, baseball style. Other than that, play it as it currently is. I'm not in the "Ties Suck" boat. If two teams have played that long as are still tied, call it a draw and move on. I'm not looking for a result for result's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back