PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sherman Signs with 49ER'S (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just surprised the pats haven't shown interest but they did with talib.

Hard injury to come back from
tape before the injury showed he wasn't the same
will be getting 9+ million...i don't want to pay him that with gilmore at 12

Pats gonna roll with what they have, really? Roll with a bunch of turkeys in the secondary.

Not necessarily.

But it seems rational to me for the Pats to spend their limited resources first on the DL and LBs, because those units need help more desperately than the secondary does. What doesn't seem rational to me is spending a huge chunk of their limited resources first for one expensive player to add to the defensive unit that needs the least amount of help.

No one will like this opinion, but at this point it might be smarter just to look at some lower market guys. Bring in a guy like Gaines, Amukumara, or even an older vet like Grimes.

Not a lot of top flight CB’s left, but plenty of guys who could pass as solid #2 CB’s are out there.

Ronald Darby is rumored to be available from the Eagles for a 3rd-rounder. He's going into the last year of his rookie contract with a salary of just $1.06M.

In 2016, he was the starter opposite Gilmore for the Bills, and the Bills had a top-5 pass defense (after they'd finally gotten some improved play out of their safeties).

Butler wasn't going to be playing DL or LB (where the problems started), or even safety.

Rowe and several other Pats players have stated that he practiced as the starter all week. In the game, the Pats used two corners almost exclusively - the only exception being bringing ST ace Bademosi in as an additional safety for a few snaps.

Butler is a million times better than Rowe.

People will believe anything apparently

... the pats should at least inquire as to what he's looking for in terms of $$$.

How do you know that the Pats don't already know what Sherman is looking for, money-wise?

IMO - I don't think that BillB is interested in getting Sherman. My guess is BillB will live with an average RCB for 2018. He will probably compensate and beef-up the DL...

Would have been nice to get Talib, but I think Broncos will never trade him within the Conference...

Trading Bennett to Rams was a snub to the Patriots.

Seems like the Patriots are not the evil empire...

Although I agree that the d line and lb positions are more of a need, getting a solid number 2 cb will help our defense tremendously.

[QUOTE="Wozzy, post: 5274644, member: 39285" corner is the least of our issues.
[/QUOTE]

If the Pats need a "solid number 2 CB", there are cheaper, longer-lasting solutions than Sherman.

IMO - I don't think that BillB is interested in getting Sherman. My guess is BillB will live with an average RCB for 2018. He will probably compensate and beef-up the DL...

Would have been nice to get Talib, but I think Broncos will never trade him within the Conference...

Trading Bennett to Rams was a snub to the Patriots.

Seems like the Patriots are not the evil empire...

Talib was traded to the Rams.

Michael Bennett was traded to the Eagles.

And the only "information" we have that the Pats made any offer at all for Bennett comes exclusively from the sports media echo chamber of speculation.

If the Pats need a "solid number 2 CB", there are cheaper, longer-lasting solutions than Sherman.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with having two no. 1 CBs...if the money can work.

agree but you have to inquire with Sherman's camp as to what he'd be willing to play for in NE.

Again, the Patriots may have already done so, and it simply hasn't been reported.

In any case, we know (near enough) what the Pats are likely to have in usable cap space for 2018, and we can estimate a reasonable range for what level of money Sherman is likely to be seeking (e.g., he won't be playing for a non-guaranteed $1.06M like Ronald Darby would). So, it's not unreasonable to guess that signing Sherman would require enough of the Pats usable cap space to make it difficult to resign all the Pats valued and critical free agents, much less to bring in experienced help for the DL and LBs.

Draft picks are fine, except when you need an instant boost for an already extremely under-experienced unit.

A number of players would take a discount to play with the GOAT.

This is really much more mythology than historically-supported fact.

If the Pats need a "solid number 2 CB", there are cheaper, longer-lasting solutions than Sherman.

There is nothing wrong with having two no. 1 CBs...if the money can work.[/QUOTE]

As I keep saying, the money is the problem. The Pats have such limited cap resources this year that any reasonable estimate of Sherman's cost will leave them without sufficient resources to adequately address the disastrous condition of the DL and the LB corps.

But, yeah, in the most general terms, disregarding cap limitations, there's "nothing wrong with having two #1 CBs".

What game were you watching? Was trying to find the link were the Eagles coaching staff was shocked they started Rowe. Right away they knew they were going at him because he was a "former" member of their team. The 2nd best db was McCourty who yes gave up a TD but only like 2-4 completed passes for 14 yards or something. Foles had forever to pass out of that shotgun. He wasn't "hit" much either.

A clean jersey game.

They were "going at him" because he was put on an island with Alshon Jeffrey, not because they knew he sucked. They believed, and were right, that Jeffrey could get the best of him - because McCourty had to play down low to help stop the run.

So the Pats' D sucked in the SB, agreed.

So did the Eagles' D. The game was refereed for offense (no holding calls).

I'd LOVE Sherman here. He's a great player, one of my favorites. It's all about the money, and I'd love DL help, a #2 corner (Darby would be great), and a couple of linebackers for the same price more than just Sherman, coming off a serious injury (even though I do believe he'll be great again)

It's all about the money.

There is nothing wrong with having two no. 1 CBs...if the money can work.
#1 corners don’t typical have dual
Hamstring surgeries.

SF fits Sherman's criteria. I don't think we will see him with the Pats.
Go Pats

If he's looking to win another super bowl he won't do it with the 49ers. He's looking for that paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back