PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaq Mason extension: 5 years, up to $50M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mason's extension with the numbers in his contract is a real deal. IMO if Mason tests the FA market he will be offered much more money. Fortunately it won't happen.

At age 31 Jason Peters ruptured the same achilles twice in a span of 3 months in 2012 and came back and went to 4 straight pro bowls, probably would have went to 5 if he didn't tear his acl during the season last year

I get that they aren't the same people but he's just one example of achilles injuries not being a career ruiner

Wilfork ruptured his Achilles four games into the 2013 season at age 32, and he started and played all 16 games in 2014 at age 33. Played well, too.

Question is do we save enough cap to grab Tate...

It looks tight at the moment.

According to Miguel, the Pats have about $9.5M in cap space - before accounting for whatever changes Mason's extension might make. Tate's 2018 salary is $7M, leaving only $2.5M for in-season emergencies.

I don't recall exactly how much cap space the Pats had going into final cuts last season, but I think it was probably in the $7M-$8M range. Might even have been a couple million more. By the end of the regular season - after covering injury replacements and LTBE bonuses, they had something like $2.5M left out of that, meaning that they spent at least $5M.

Even if the Pats were to trade Brown and Roberts for Tate (a significant hit to roster depth at two positions), it would only make a $2M difference, leaving the Pats with only about $4M-$5M in their emergency/LTBE fund for the season.

IOW, another relatively large shoe (cap-wise) would probably need to drop.

An extension for Gronk that converts some of his 2018 salary to signing bonus could easily make the shortfall in the in-season cushion. Releasing JMac would save $3M (might be enough). Releasing/trading Dwayne Allen would save $5M (although I'd rather see them restructure to keep him, especially with the current OL uncertainty).

Maybe he is a better pass rusher than Sheard but a here but Sheard is a better run defender.

He may be paid more because he is younger but i think Sheard was the better FA prospect because he had the added bonus of doing it more places under different systems. They are close but i think Sheard overall is slightly better.

Maybe you are right but the cap is higher now. I am not worried. They can retain him or 3/4 role players and they have a bunch of picks to solve a lot os problems. Mason was the #1 priotity and Brown IMO will be our #2.

Maybe he is a better pass rusher than Sheard but a here but Sheard is a better run defender.

He may be paid more because he is younger but i think Sheard was the better FA prospect because he had the added bonus of doing it more places under different systems. They are close but i think Sheard overall is slightly better.
Sheard was no way a better run defender than flowers. Not even close.

At age 31 Jason Peters ruptured the same achilles twice in a span of 3 months in 2012 and came back and went to 4 straight pro bowls, probably would have went to 5 if he didn't tear his acl during the season last year

I get that they aren't the same people but he's just one example of achilles injuries not being a career ruiner

Thanks for this info, it makes me feel a lot better about his future

It is even more important in light of Dante probably going back to retirement sooner rather than later and this gives significant time and insurance for the next transition.

Scar's also been training his replacement, Cole Popovich.

And here I thought Tre Jackson was going to be the better of the two since Jackson was bigger and wasn't as raw as Shaq was in pass protection. Welp, congrats big fella, well deserved contract.

He might well have been; the problem was that Jackson just couldn't stay healthy.

Very happy with this contract

And here I thought Tre Jackson was going to be the better of the two since Jackson was bigger and wasn't as raw as Shaq was in pass protection. Welp, congrats big fella, well deserved contract.

Jackson was terrible. Soft as butter

No. Any player can now be placed on IR without going through waivers.
That is the opposite of what the poster said. I responded with what you said

Jackson was terrible. Soft as butter
He was the starter from day 1. Lots of good buzz coming out of camp until the injuries took over.

That is the opposite of what the poster said. I responded with what you said

@maineman209 said "Interesting that Wynn hasn't been sent to IR yet. With the rule change this year, teams are now llowed to send a rookie to IR without exposing him to waivers. "

You then doubted his interpretation of the bylaw change.

@maineman209 said "Interesting that Wynn hasn't been sent to IR yet. With the rule change this year, teams are now llowed to send a rookie to IR without exposing him to waivers. "

You then doubted his interpretation of the bylaw change.
Yes that is what he said and the waiver rule was changed. He said it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes