PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaq Mason extension: 5 years, up to $50M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes extending Flowers more difficult though.

No worries. It has zero effect on Flowers. It is not like we would overpay for anyone anyway and there is nothing stopping us from paying Flowers whatever BB and Caserio estimate his value to be. Now if he wants more than that he will be a goner even if we had tons of cap space.

This is not the Saints.

No worries. It has zero effect on Flowers. It is not like we would overpay for anyone anyway and there is nothing stopping us from paying Flowers whatever BB and Caserio estimate his value to be. Now if he wants more than that he will be a goner even if we had tons of cap space.

This is not the Saints.

I wonder what they see his value as and what his FA value is.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking he is some amazing game changer. He is good, but not great. In the past 2 years he has had 7 sacks and 6.5 sacks in the regular season.

Those totals put him at about the 40th or so best pass rusher in the NFL.

That puts him at about 7M a year by my best guess

any time you can lock up one of your best young players, you do it. Especially when he was probably in line to earn more in free agency.

Next to lock up Flowers if they can agree a little discount on market value. You have to think Flowers is looking at $13m+ though, which might make it difficult. Danielle Hunter seems a decent comparison and he just signed for 5 years $72m.

We have a bunch of players whose contracts are up next year. I'd like
to see them sign a few more of them. I suspect that the Patriots are
checking out Keionta Davis as a replacement for Trey Flowers.

Obviously, the Pats are preparing for the start of Etling's HOF career by building a great running game.
Although, the drafting of Michel and this signing is signaling transitioning to smash mouth football. BB will be looking at defensive strategy in the coming drafts.

Wynn is under contract for 3 more years, so not sure the comparison is apt here.. there is a lot of "salary cap money" in 2020, not so much in '19...

I wasn't making a comparison. My comment was a sort of tangential response to Chris' comment about whether or not Mason's extension might be related to Wynn's recovery timetable. I was perilously close to non-sequitur territory there, I guess.

Although, the drafting of Michel and this signing is signaling transitioning to smash mouth football. BB will be looking at defensive strategy in the coming drafts.

It is?

They attacked Shaq with a contract!

A few members think drafting a RB # 1 signaled a change in the Patriot's offensive strategy post Brady. I think this is another step in that direction. What are Mason's strengths and weaknesses?

I wonder what they see his value as and what his FA value is.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking he is some amazing game changer. He is good, but not great. In the past 2 years he has had 7 sacks and 6.5 sacks in the regular season.

Those totals put him at about the 40th or so best pass rusher in the NFL.

That puts him at about 7M a year by my best guess

If sacks are your sole metric of how good an edge player is, that's valid. I don't agree with that though. Flowers is a great overall player in both the run and passing game. He's definitely better than ~40th. Top 20 at worst. That probably means at least 10M annually.

An example of a player who didn't put up too many sacks and ultimately turned out to be a great pass rusher is Olivier Vernon. The Giants haven't won a Super Bowl with him and he's arguably not worth his contract, but he's been a monster there.

They’ll need to if Etling is under center.

A few members think drafting a RB # 1 signaled a change in the Patriot's offensive strategy post Brady. I think this is another step in that direction. What are Mason's strengths and weaknesses?

The Patriots drafted Maroney in the first round.

I understand that some people have leapt to that conclusion. However, we don't actually know when "post-Brady" will begin. And adding an RB who can run and receive fits what BB expressly said was the direction he wanted to go in after 2016.

I honestly believe that there's not nearly as much significance to the fact that Michel was drafted in the first round as many people ascribe to it. I'm not even certain that Michel (or any RB) was necessarily a specific draft target for them. I think it was merely an opportunity selection - the Pats had a relatively high grade on him for ability and fit (runs and receives), though not necessarily a lot higher than, say, Kerryon Johnson.

But then, Michel's favorite blocker, Wynn, surprisingly fell to them, so that may have enhanced Michel's value proposition. So, they took Michel in the first because they felt/knew, that he wouldn't still be on the board at their next pick.

I really don't think this "signals" anything at all about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes