PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously, **** Urban Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if BB isn't supposed to listen to Meyer anymore, what do we make of this..

Urban Meyer says patience will be key for Cardale Jones’ next team

“A really good skill set, intellectual, very smart, wasn’t necessarily very good at school,” Meyer said of Jones. “I wonder if that kind of set him back a little bit. That’s one difference between pro and college — now he doesn’t have to worry about classes and going to school and all that stuff. He can focus completely on football.”

I hope Cardale enjoyed that bus his old coach just rolled over him.

Jimmy Johnson: My number one rule is...Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy!
Bill Belichick: Yeah, you taught me that well. You can't fix that.
Jimmy Johnson: 90% of mistakes are because of having a guy you can't reason with.

'A Football Life': Building through the draft

just past the 1 minute mark

Last edited:
And yet there are more than a few people that want the Pats to trade up to get Braxton Miller. Who is a project at WR.

I would love for the Pats to pick Miller, although not trade up for him. Guys with his athleticism rarely drop to the range where the Pats would reasonably pick them if they have a perfect resume with no blemishes. The major one for Miller is his rawness. I think we can all mostly agree that picking Miller means you're getting a guy who is unlikely to be a major contributor on offense for at least a year. For the upside, I'm fine with that from a mid-round pick.

And yeah, re: the article that started this thread, Belichick should place little to no no stock in anything that Urban Meyer has to say about the guy, and base his evaluation entirely on film, interviews, etc. By all accounts Miller is exactly the kind of player that the Pats typically like and value. While I don't think any premium should be placed on him based on anything Meyer has to say, I also wouldn't penalize him too harshly for the fact that Urban Meyer happens to be hi coach.

Jimmy Johnson: My number one rule is...Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy!

So we're calling him dumb now too?

Urban Meyer says patience will be key for Cardale Jones’ next team

“A really good skill set, intellectual, very smart, wasn’t necessarily very good at school,” Meyer said of Jones. “I wonder if that kind of set him back a little bit. That’s one difference between pro and college — now he doesn’t have to worry about classes and going to school and all that stuff. He can focus completely on football.”

Cardale Jones was already out front of that himself with his "Ain't come here to play SCHOOL" comments.

The following comment not necessarily directed at the two posters I just quoted...
There seems to be a lot of faulty assumptions being made about the vast majority of NFL players (on the Patriots and other teams) about their level of interest in school, in working hard at being an NFL player from a film or play study perspective, and what kind of people a lot of them are.

How smart does Dominique Easley have to be to play DT? He needs to know to go left, right, or straight on depending on what he's looking at (ok, it's a little more complex, but at his position he would never be required to have a McCourty/Hightower level understanding of what's going on as a condition of him being put on the field). It would be nice if he had that level understanding of the strategy of the game, or at least took an interest, but nothing demonstrable on game day prevented many here from calling him approaching or near "elite" at his position if not for the injury problems. Some of these guys are just physical freaks with an aptitude - whether earned or "deserved" or not - for the game and just because they don't love it or respect it as much as you or I might in the same situation doesn't make them undraftable or useless in the league. It's not the preferable option but there's guys on every team and probably at every position that barely give a ****. They happen to be huge and like hitting people, or really fast, or just have some innate ability to track a football through the air and figured it could make them rich.

Urban Meyer says patience will be key for Cardale Jones’ next team

That is what Urban Meyer should be saying confidentially to his close friends (presumably like BB), not through the press.

Through the press he should be supporting his guy. I'm not sure what his motivations are to throwing Jones under the bus, but I'm pretty sure it isn't to help Jones.

So we're calling him dumb now too?

No, I'm just just quoting JJ saying that 90% of draft mistakes are made from taking a dumb guy, and that BB seemed to agree with him in that clip.

We all can guess for ourselves which busts are in the 90% and which busts are in the outlier 10%.

Jimmy Johnson: 90% of mistakes are because of having a guy you can't reason with.

Yes -- "a guy you can't reason with" is the key phrase (and that can be for lots of reasons).

On the other hand, BB has said frequently (actually just the other week) that the Patriots have to try to be outliers. Picking where they do, they can't just make conventional choices and hope to get top players. Sometimes (in my very, very humble opinion) BB can overdo this (Cunningham vs Dunlap, second rounder for Tavon Wilson) but the strategy is, surely, the right one.

As far as Easley goes lets stop pretending that there is anyone to blame BUT Easley. He wanted to play for Dan Quin and only Dan Quin it would appear.

Almost every player has a specific place or coach they want to play for but most are grateful and loyal to the core wherever they end up.

Easley being too immature to respect the opportunity that most of us would dive at without question is NOT BB or Meyer's fault.

And as others have mentioned, a few of those players worked out just fine several years before anything happened, it's not always about poor scouting or whatnot, you can't predict AH is going to murder someone(s), you can't predict anyone will simply because of the crowd they hang out it, it's such an unnatural thing to do.

The drugs you can work with a player, you can try to get him to associate with different people, his college scouting report had "thug/idiot" written all over which dropped him to the 4th round. Nothing wrong with that, a decent chunk of the NFL players (and celebrity world in general) has thug/idiot stamped to it.

Can't blame these issues on any one person when it comes to failed Gators in NE.

That is what Urban Meyer should be saying confidentially to his close friends (presumably like BB), not through the press.

Through the press he should be supporting his guy. I'm not sure what his motivations are to throwing Jones under the bus, but I'm pretty sure it isn't to help Jones.

I told my wife about Meyer's comments regarding Cardale Jones and she simply looked at me and said "then why the hell did he continue to stick with him as the starting QB last year when JT Barrett was clearly the better choice?" You've got to admit that she has quite a point!

I agree that these comments are best when kept out of the media, but I think Jones may be such a bad prospect that he simply couldn't help himself; hence the distancing prior to the draft. I don't think Jones should be taken anywhere before the 6th round or so, but that's just my opinion. He's not too bright, is very inaccurate, and has maturity issues.

The "dislikes" football was reportedly said by Easley multiple times, to multiple sources. Besides Aaron Hernandez, I can't think of one player who left NE that that had so many negative comments by anonymous team mates after he left. If you ever want to see things accurately, you'll have to stop disregarding critical information because it doesn't suit your desired viewpoint.

Critical information? I hope you laugh when you write such silliness.
Lets talk about the only type of critical information that matters……production. On this message board, the near universal opinion here is that when Easley played, he was the team's most disruptive DT. The guy that hates football expends the kind of energy to be the teams most disruptive DT……..Kick 'em off the team right now…LMFAO.
That is what I deem critical….not if he waved pom poms or if he sulked because he has spent literally years rehabbing blown out knees and now hips. Again, the guy has failed to finish 4 out of his last 6 football seasons healthy….but if the pom pom thing is what you really believe gets BB's goat, then tell me if Albert Haynesworth brought his pom poms with him on his way to Gillette.

Last edited:
Critical information? I hope you laugh when you write such silliness.
Lets talk about the only type of critical information that matters……production. On this message board, the near universal opinion here is that when Easley played, he was the team's most disruptive DT. The guy that hates football expends the kind of energy to be the teams most disruptive DT……..Kick I'm off the team right now…LMFAO.
That is what I deem critical….not if he waved pom poms or if he sulked because he has spent literally years rehabbing blown out knees and now hips. Again, the guy has failed to finish 4 out of his last 6 football seasons healthy….but if the pom pom thing is what you really believe gets BB's goat, then tell me where Albert Haynesworth stored his pom poms at Gillette.
He didn't last long enough to find any storage space at Gillette. Plus, just the act of looking for some would have required Albert to walk more than 10 feet which, as we all know, was about 9'11"" further than he was inclined to move, absent a lit bundle of dynamite in his locker.

I would love for the Pats to pick Miller, although not trade up for him. Guys with his athleticism rarely drop to the range where the Pats would reasonably pick them if they have a perfect resume with no blemishes. The major one for Miller is his rawness. I think we can all mostly agree that picking Miller means you're getting a guy who is unlikely to be a major contributor on offense for at least a year. For the upside, I'm fine with that from a mid-round pick.

Exactly if he's available in the Third I all for Miller But! not before...You just don't take a gadget player in the Second especially when you don't have a First Rounder.

I told my wife about Meyer's comments regarding Cardale Jones and she simply looked at me and said "then why the hell did he continue to stick with him as the starting QB last year when JT Barrett was clearly the better choice?" You've got to admit that she has quite a point!

Blessed is the man who can discuss football with his wife.

I agree that these comments are best when kept out of the media, but I think Jones may be such a bad prospect that he simply couldn't help himself; hence the distancing prior to the draft. I don't think Jones should be taken anywhere before the 6th round or so, but that's just my opinion. He's not too bright, is very inaccurate, and has maturity issues.

I have football discussions with my wife also, like: "TIVO the danged game and watch it after I'm asleep". :D

This guy is awesome! I love it! Draft the beast! :D

I hate how "savage" is the new buzzword and I almost never use it in a sentence, but it fits here. Jones is an absolute savage. That said, he's also a ****ty quarterback. So, no... don't draft him.

Speaking of screenshots this is fake but I LMAO when this popped in my timeline

13055589_1127252990654721_8003028668521809820_n.jpg

I like it, gotta have this guy now. Our arrogance levels will be off the charts.

I hate how "savage" is the new buzzword and I almost never use it in a sentence, but it fits here. Jones is an absolute savage. That said, he's also a ****ty quarterback. So, no... don't draft him.
Same, savage is not suppose to be a good thing. I'm one "HAHAHA SAVAGE WITH NO CHILL THATS SO ME I"M DED" away from going Bill O'Reilly freakout mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back