Seriously, **** Urban Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots' miscue with Dominique Easley should spark internal reflection

1. Bill Belichick wouldn’t be human if he didn’t question the quality of information he’s received from former Florida coach and current Ohio State coach Urban Meyer – or the value he’s decided to place on it -- over the years. Belichick seems to have a blind spot for Meyer and his program, but if he objectively looks at the players he’s drafted that were recruited by/played for Meyer at Florida, the results are extremely poor given where those players were picked: receiver Chad Jackson (second round, 36th, 2006), defensive end Jermaine Cunningham (second round, 53rd, 2010), linebacker Brandon Spikes (second round, 62nd, 2010), tight end Aaron Hernandez (fourth round, 113th, 2010) and now Dominique Easley (first round, 29th, 2014), who played as a freshman for Meyer at Florida. Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, but this track record – from an on-field and off-field perspective -- should be a wake-up call to him and lead to some further reflection on how the breakdowns occurred.

Reiss right on the mark with this one.

And yet there are more than a few people that want the Pats to trade up to get Braxton Miller. Who is a project at WR.

Spikes's attitude was good enough to bring him back before an off-field incident. AH was deemed worthy of a long term contract until his off-field incidents.

I'm not aware of character problems with Jackson and Cunningham.

But if you look at it from a pure failed picks perspective, for whatever reason, then yeah, suppose he might have a point.

What about CarlosDunlap, Matt Elam, Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Jordan Reed, Pouncey?

it's the particular players that meyer recommended to belichick, not everyone he coached at U of F.

.....bills fault for going back to meyers players.

Easley was, I suppose, an Urban Meyer recruit - however Meyer left UF after the 10-11 season, where Easley played sparingly as a true freshman. Muschamp was his coach until the 2014 draft.

What about CarlosDunlap, Matt Elam, Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Jordan Reed, Pouncey?

Lol! Matt Elam? Really? So that would mean you're saying Carlos Dunlap, Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Jordan Reed are bad picks? o_O

Spikes's attitude was good enough to bring him back before an off-field incident. AH was deemed worthy of a long term contract until his off-field incidents.

I'm not aware of character problems with Jackson and Cunningham.

But if you look at it from a pure failed picks perspective, for whatever reason, then yeah, suppose he might have a point.
Spikes …pre draft consensus…. a glacially slow 2 down thumper…..What did Meyer hide?
AHern ….universal pre draft consensus……hard working on the field / weed abuser, thuggish friends off the field . And since BB loves value, Ahern dropping to the 4th round because of his off field life choices was a gift BB couldn't pass on. What did Meyer hide considering the entire league dropped the kid down many notches.
Chad Jackson……we are now blaming Meyer for NE's inability to develop young WRs?
Easley……Are we arguing that Meyer told BB to ignore blown out knees?

Easley……Are we arguing that Meyer told BB to ignore blown out knees?
It was the attitude and dislike of football that were the biggest factors in the Pats dumping Easley. Both are things that Meyer absolutely should have known and communicated to BB.

So im guessing this is a no on braxton miller?

It was the attitude and dislike of football that were the biggest factors in the Pats dumping Easley. Both are things that Meyer absolutely should have known and communicated to BB.

Really?
Had nothing to do with not being able to complete 4 of his last 6 football seasons healthy?
Should NE devote a spot on the 53 man roster for a multi-surgically repaired player who shows a 33% ability of finishing a football season and a 0% ability to finish an NFL season?

And with regards to the "dislike of football" label that has been conveniently attached to this guy's NE post mortem….I just don't think years of extensive rehabbing thru two separate knee blowouts…then heading to Germany for new treatments screams "dislikes football"……seems the opposite to me.
This whole bashing after the fact screams like a Red Sox PR maneuver to deflect from the original poor choice of drafting a guy made of glass.

And yet there are more than a few people that want the Pats to trade up to get Braxton Miller. Who is a project at WR.

As someone who has followed the Buckeyes closely, I am not one of those people.

Then again, maybe my assessment is wrong since draft gurus like manxman really like him. I just don't agree, particularly with the position change, although he certainly wasn't likely to be an NFL quality QB either.

Lol! Matt Elam? Really? So that would mean you're saying Carlos Dunlap, Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Jordan Reed are bad picks? o_O

?????

So I got Elam wrong. Still doesn't make any sense what you wrote. I offered Haden and Reed as examples of players who succeeded. How did you get that?

it's the particular players that meyer recommended to belichick, not everyone he coached at U of F.
Did he though? He may have. He may also have said "super talented, but he was an arrest waiting to happen" and when they fell far enough down the draft board BB decided to take them anyway. I raised this question myself in response to Easley, but 2 talent busts (Jackson, Cunningham) and 3 mostly character busts (Hernandez, Easley, Spikes) do not mean that Urban Meyer recommended these guys to BB against Bill's better judgment.

And let's also not pretend like the main 3 we're talking about weren't productive here. Spikes was controversial and problematic as a 3-down LB but productive for a couple years as a run-stuffer. Hernandez was a unique talent that helped usher in the transition to phase Brady 2.0. Easley had spurts where he looked like devastatingly effective interior rusher and half this board had a hard-on for him not even a week ago. This board would want to run Lawrence Taylor off the team.

If in fact there were conversations between UM/BB where UM was glowing in his praise about these guys and didn't offer any constructive criticism, then I would expect BB/Pats to take that counsel in advisement for any prospects from OSU and act accordingly. But to assume it happened the way it's being put out there (i.e. that Meyer knew there were problems and told BB there were not, or not to worry about them, and the only reason BB drafted the guys was based on Meyer's "word" and zero other factors) is pure speculation and conjecture.

BB wasn't born yesterday. (although, he kinda was! happy birthday bill)

Interesting that Meyer has attempted to distance himself from QB Cardele Jones lately. His comments were very obvious. I think he sees the writing on the wall with Jones' mechanical problems and accuracy issues, and he's also fairly immature and seems rather unintelligent.

I very seriously doubt that Urban Meyer had nice things to say about Dominique Easley, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back