PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seriously, **** Urban Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots' miscue with Dominique Easley should spark internal reflection

1. Bill Belichick wouldn’t be human if he didn’t question the quality of information he’s received from former Florida coach and current Ohio State coach Urban Meyer – or the value he’s decided to place on it -- over the years. Belichick seems to have a blind spot for Meyer and his program, but if he objectively looks at the players he’s drafted that were recruited by/played for Meyer at Florida, the results are extremely poor given where those players were picked: receiver Chad Jackson (second round, 36th, 2006), defensive end Jermaine Cunningham (second round, 53rd, 2010), linebacker Brandon Spikes (second round, 62nd, 2010), tight end Aaron Hernandez (fourth round, 113th, 2010) and now Dominique Easley (first round, 29th, 2014), who played as a freshman for Meyer at Florida. Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, but this track record – from an on-field and off-field perspective -- should be a wake-up call to him and lead to some further reflection on how the breakdowns occurred.

Reiss right on the mark with this one.

No. Reiss isn't right on the mark with this one. Why? Because Belichick personally worked out Chad Jackson, Jermaine Cunningham and Aaron Hernandez. And that included reviewing film with them as well as putting them through their paces.

With Jackson, Brian Daboll didn't want him. But McDaniels and Belichick did. It's probably one of the things that led to Daboll leaving for a time. But Daboll has been back for a few years now. And his influence on the offence is there.

Aaron Hernandez, they waited until the 4th round. They Pats did everything they could short of giving him a personal mentor. But Hernandez was a grown man.

Cunningham remains the enigma. Clearly Belichick saw something. Unfortunately, Cunningham failed to reach that potential.

Furthermore, Reiss' comments regarding Hernandez and Spikes are total BS. Spikes was a 3 year starter for the Pats in the middle before he left via free agency.

Hernandez was a prolific catcher and was a perfect compliment to Gronkowski on the field. For a 4th round pick. it was well worth it. Reiss saying otherwise is being ingenuous.

Sorry, but Reiss should stick to reporting things and keep his opinions in the round file. I'm not sure that Reiss has predicted one pick correctly and his evaluation of players makes some of the people here on Patsfans look like they should be pro scouts..

Hopefully Bill will stop scouting Florida altogether since it seems to be cursed. I think that Urban Meyer tried to talk Bill out of Cunningham and into taking Dunlop, but Bill wouldn't listen.

Let's not forget that guys like Hernandez and Spikes worked out well enough on their rookie contracts to justify their draft slots. Yes, we got burned in the AHern situation by giving him a second deal, but just about all of these players were talented enough to warrant consideration--even Easley, who would've been a top 10 pick had it not been for the injuries. Belichick took a shot at a player who fell to him, which he's had mixed results with. It happens. He's human.

No matter what your personal opinion on the issue seems to be, I think we can all agree on the fact that Bill Belichick is the one ultimately making the decisions. I keep seeing the phrase "came highly recommended," etc. I'm sure just about every coach says that about their players (sans Cardale Jones, and for damn good reason.) One would also have to assume that both Belichick and Meyer will have a bit of a longer conversation in the future after situations like Hernandez and Easley, so I'm sure he's covering his bases.

Spikes's attitude was good enough to bring him back before an off-field incident. AH was deemed worthy of a long term contract until his off-field incidents.

I'm not aware of character problems with Jackson and Cunningham.

But if you look at it from a pure failed picks perspective, for whatever reason, then yeah, suppose he might have a point.
??? But they all still did what they did. LOL Cunningham got busted for PED's or HGH (can't remember which) and then was out of the league two years later after he couldn't get on with the Jests. Jackson sucked. I respect you . . . just don't see your point at all. You're justifying failed picks. I guess the one part I get is your last line . . . mainly because I am looking at it through a boom or bust scope.

The players drafted ultimately failed, so that shouldn't be overlooked, but we did get lots of production from both Hernandez and Spikes for at least the average length of time of the usual rookie deal.

Of course, they were both asshats with poor attitudes, so there's a point in the other direction again.

There has always been the underlying theme that the Pats can mold players with bad attitudes and they will be influenced by a strong work ethic in a positive locker room with veteran leadership..

For some players this does not work.. it is interesting that Easley has not been picked up yet.

No. Reiss isn't right on the mark with this one. Why? Because Belichick personally worked out Chad Jackson, Jermaine Cunningham and Aaron Hernandez. And that included reviewing film with them as well as putting them through their paces.

With Jackson, Brian Daboll didn't want him. But McDaniels and Belichick did. It's probably one of the things that led to Daboll leaving for a time. But Daboll has been back for a few years now. And his influence on the offence is there.

Aaron Hernandez, they waited until the 4th round. They Pats did everything they could short of giving him a personal mentor. But Hernandez was a grown man.

Cunningham remains the enigma. Clearly Belichick saw something. Unfortunately, Cunningham failed to reach that potential.

Furthermore, Reiss' comments regarding Hernandez and Spikes are total BS. Spikes was a 3 year starter for the Pats in the middle before he left via free agency.

Hernandez was a prolific catcher and was a perfect compliment to Gronkowski on the field. For a 4th round pick. it was well worth it. Reiss saying otherwise is being ingenuous.

Sorry, but Reiss should stick to reporting things and keep his opinions in the round file. I'm not sure that Reiss has predicted one pick correctly and his evaluation of players makes some of the people here on Patsfans look like they should be pro scouts..

I think it has more to do with just talent. Obviously BB can watch film, and he has developed a good scouting team that knows what he wants. But when you speak directly with the former coaches, you want more than just what you can see for yourself.

What you want is insights into character, personality, the traits that can't be seen on film. And in that regard, Meyer didn't really help. I don't know if he was lying to get his former players drafted, or just not a good source, but either way, BB shouldn't trust his opinion on off-the-field matters.

It's not a question of talent. Jackson was widely-regarded as the most talented WR in his draft class. He was obviously smart. But he didn't put the work in. Spikes was a headcase as it turns out. Hernandez had talent obviously, but he also had a ton of question marks. At the time, most of those were related to marijuana, but there were a lot of worse things brewing in the background that came to light later on. He obviously had concerns, as reports have him trying to stick Tebow all over Hernandez to try and help him out. And Easley is still quite the talent, but a locker room issue.

Perhaps Easley can't be blamed on Meyer since he did recruit him, but left. But I feel confident that BB at least asked Meyer his opinion on some of the issues. Cunningham was actually the only one who fit in as far as the Patriots culture, he just didn't perform. That happens. But looking back, at least he tried and didn't cause problems.

As for Reiss, I welcome his opinion because it's so rare he actually voices it unlike many in the media. He's not going to be first on an issue, but his commentary is always measured and well-thought-out instead of the knee-jerk whaargaarbl which is the standard media response. Unlike many other mediots who act like they have all the answers, Reiss is always probing, trying to learn, and asking smart questions during the press conferences. Whether right or wrong, it is comprehensive and comprehensible (I'm looking at you Steven A. Smith), and I think he's one of the best we have.

There has always been the underlying theme that the Pats can mold players with bad attitudes and they will be influenced by a strong work ethic in a positive locker room with veteran leadership..

For some players this does not work.. it is interesting that Easley has not been picked up yet.

Either a medical or legal concern like dogfighting that has teams scared.

Teams pick up lollygaggers all the time.

Really?
Had nothing to do with not being able to complete 4 of his last 6 football seasons healthy?
Should NE devote a spot on the 53 man roster for a multi-surgically repaired player who shows a 33% ability of finishing a football season and a 0% ability to finish an NFL season?

And with regards to the "dislike of football" label that has been conveniently attached to this guy's NE post mortem….I just don't think years of extensive rehabbing thru two separate knee blowouts…then heading to Germany for new treatments screams "dislikes football"……seems the opposite to me.
This whole bashing after the fact screams like a Red Sox PR maneuver to deflect from the original poor choice of drafting a guy made of glass.
I said those were the biggest factors. Injury was part of it, but if he wasn't acting like a douchebag, he wouldn't have been cut nearly this soon. When Easley was drafted, everyone acknowledge that there was a significant risk due to his injury, just like Gronk. When you pick at the end of the round every year for over a decade, sometimes you have to take chances with late 1st and early 2nd round picks.

The "dislikes" football was reportedly said by Easley multiple times, to multiple sources. Besides Aaron Hernandez, I can't think of one player who left NE that that had so many negative comments by anonymous team mates after he left. If you ever want to see things accurately, you'll have to stop disregarding critical information because it doesn't suit your desired viewpoint.

Last edited:
Nobody could have thought that AH was going to turn out to be a mass murderer. I'm pretty sure he is the only person currently in prison who has also caught a TD pass in a Super Bowl.

Plus he was a 4th round pick and was considered another BB draft steal, before he started killing people.

What has always puzzled me is the Cunningham over Dunlap pick ( Dunlap went to the Bungels with the very next pick). I always hated the Cunnigham pick from the get go.

I also trashed the Easley pick, because of his injuries. The few times he did play at Florida when he was both healthy and motivated, he was good. Of course, again, nobody could have forseen that in addition to his knee injuries he would let himself get mauled by his pit bull.

I thought Spikes was exactly what he was advertised to be, I think some people around here forget what a good player he was for the Pat's and the numerous vicious hits he put on runners that caused fumbles. Plus he picked off Flacco in the playoffs, which should have sealed that game but Brady threw an awful pick on a bomb on the very next play.

I do hope Bb stays away from Ohio,St. Guys in this draft, Ohio St. Has a long history of draft busts/over hyped players. now you add in the awful Meyer history into that equation and it would be a recipe for disastor for the Pats.

It was the attitude and dislike of football that were the biggest factors in the Pats dumping Easley. Both are things that Meyer absolutely should have known and communicated to BB.

The dislike of football information came to us, the general public, in the pre draft process, imagine what came to Belichick with the resources he has and a professional department paid to scout players.

I didn't want the pick but I was Ok with the choice, the potential was worth a big gamble, but he was well aware about Easley not fitting some of his standards. Belichick is like all of us, he has his rules and his set of standards, what makes him so good is that his standards are based on a lifetime experience in Football and most of the time they are accurate and proven standards, most importantly, he doesn't break his rules. In this case he did, sometimes we do that, and I think it was worth the gamble at the time, but it blow in his face. I bet he is furious and will never break his own rules again. He is in the final leg of his career and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. After two recent fiascos in Hernarndez and Easley (in the off the field side of things) get ready for more than safe picks from now on.

This is on Belichick and the Patriots not on Meyer. As another poster pointe out they could have chosen other Florida players who weren't problems, or they could have just stayed away from them altogether. Belichick spent a good deal of time at the program and he is smart enough to know that every coach is going to say nice things about their players because throwing them under the bus will harm their recruiting, and they want them to end up with good teams and coaches. They simply me to do a better job on background checks as a number of high value picks have turned out to be leaving in there character you need for winners.

And yet there are more than a few people that want the Pats to trade up to get Braxton Miller. Who is a project at WR.

Why?

This draft is deep in 2nd round WR talent.

Yeah! And his brother, Suburban! And his dad, Metropolitan! And his mother, Rural!

Hopefully Bill will stop scouting Florida altogether since it seems to be cursed. I think that Urban Meyer tried to talk Bill out of Cunningham and into taking Dunlop, but Bill wouldn't listen.

I disagree. It was the same situation at Miami and the program produced troublemakers and HOFers and everything in between. Truth is that most pro sports are going to have guys with significant character problems in the talent pool and its always enticing to take talent despite character questions. It's up to the organizations to weed them out and pass them by when the risks are to high. I don't think you write off an entire program because it produces some bad guys but rather you do due diligence and focus on the player and not the program.

The dislike of football information came to us, the general public, in the pre draft process, imagine what came to Belichick with the resources he has and a professional department paid to scout players.

I didn't want the pick but I was Ok with the choice, the potential was worth a big gamble, but he was well aware about Easley not fitting some of his standards. Belichick is like all of us, he has his rules and his set of standards, what makes him so good is that his standards are based on a lifetime experience in Football and most of the time they are accurate and proven standards, most importantly, he doesn't break his rules. In this case he did, sometimes we do that, and I think it was worth the gamble at the time, but it blow in his face. I bet he is furious and will never break his own rules again. He is in the final leg of his career and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. After two recent fiascos in Hernarndez and Easley (in the off the field side of things) get ready for more than safe picks from now on.
I never heard that Easley disliked football till after he was cut. Do you have a link? That said, I think BB re-evaluates and tweaks the way he scouts every year. Easley certainly didn't work out, and there's a good chance it will lead to some tweaking, but I wouldn't assume BB will dramatically change his philosophy over it. I'd be curious what Meyer said about Easley to BB.

IMHO, in the past BB was willing to coach troubled players as long as they were talented (he coached LT for heaven's sake), but at this stage of his career with his legacy established I think he likes to bring on players that he actually likes to coach. As you point out, he seems to be increasingly pick players that are smart and former captains (particularly in the secondary). He is willing to bring in low-priced vets that have had trouble in the past (such as Blount and Branch), but with a short leash (think how fast Spikes was dropped in his second stint after the hit and run). I haven't heard a peep about any problems with Blount and Branch with the Pats, so I guess as long as they don't act up with the Pats BB gives them a fresh start.

Really, the last time he brought in players with an obvious red flag was six years ago with Spikes and the Inmate. Until, of course, this Easley situation, which seems like a bit of an outlier.

It would be interesting to hear the real story with what happened with Easley, maybe in BB's next book. ;)

I never heard that Easley disliked football till after he was cut. Do you have a link? That said, I think BB re-evaluates and tweaks the way he scouts every year. Easley certainly didn't work out, and there's a good chance it will lead to some tweaking, but I wouldn't assume BB will dramatically change his philosophy over it. I'd be curious what Meyer said about Easley to BB.

I didn't see anything in his draft profiles but a poster in this thread posted a link to an article with a rundown of Easelys comments to the media and it didn't look good. It's one thing to prefer working hard on your conditioning and skills rather than watching TV, it's another when it's watching cartoons. Easely seems like he is really immature and won't figure it out until it's way to late, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back