PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Flores suing NFL and NYG. Texts from Bill involved in the suit.

My immediate reaction is i'm a little disappointed Flo is calling out Bill here and not practicing common sense. It's obvious the Giants were doing their due diligence on Daboll after the initial Zoom.

Speaking from experience, it is a common practice for a hiring manager to query his contacts and do some checking on a potential candidate before that final round of interviews. I wouldn't call them "reference checks" but they do serve the same purpose.

What I don't know is after the convo with Bill, did the NYG make up their minds on Daboll as HC and the Flo interview was in fact a sham.
I agree. It’s also possible Flo has more information that he hasn’t shared. He is pretty much dropping a bomb every day.

Well now I think Brian Flores has left the building. His new quotes on BB are just ridiculous. If the Giants want to call BB for advice they can do so. What is he even talking about? He used to work for BB! Unless BB and the good ol' Giants sat around and specifically said they won't be hiring a black man then what is this even about? They can hire who they want and they can ask BB for advice on the candidates that he knows well. I think it's clear from the texts that BB didn't push them into Daboll because he seems to actually think Flores got the gig.

Well now I think Brian Flores has left the building. His new quotes on BB are just ridiculous. If the Giants want to call BB for advice they can do so. What is he even talking about? He used to work for BB! Unless BB and the good ol' Giants sat around and specifically said they won't be hiring a black man then what is this even about? They can hire who they want and they can ask BB for advice on the candidates that he knows well. I think it's clear from the texts that BB didn't push them into Daboll because he seems to actually think Flores got the gig.
Bill thought he was texting Daboll.

Okay so if you believe that then how can you say this is bad news for BB? It could all turn out to be sour grapes from Flores.

Waiting and seeing it usually the most prudent course of action in these cases.
Because your talking about a poster who is all about the dramatic worst case scenario.

Is that confirmed? It looked like he was texting the right person with the wrong result.
If you look at the chain it is apparent. He had the wrong Brian.

They won't have any problems showing their hiring methods show a pattern of discriminatory practices.
Are you sure about that? Can you show me then and explain exactly how the Giants/Miami and other teams in the NLF have violated federal or state discriminatory laws with regards to hiring or firing? More to the point which is crucial under federal laws (ex: Title VII Civil Right Act of 1964, ADA, Age Discrimination Act, or The Pregnancy Discrimination Act) that the Giants refused to hire Flores simply because of his race or nationality vs his competencies/skill set according to the team's viewpoint on which competencies are of most importance for THEIR head coaching position, and that no other candidate was more qualified than Flores. Can you also prove to me that Flores or other minority coaches in the NFL were fired SIMPLY because of their race or nationality vs other reasons? That is the MAIN POINT and which laws cover, not if hiring practices are perfect or not.

Last edited:
I disagree about the unethical part.
And the giants had already given daboll a zoom interview. IF they hadnt made their minds up already why was belichick congratulting who he thought was daboll via text? I disagree with you about flores implying bb is racist. He worked for him for what ? 12 years? And has had only great things to say about bb and the pats. He reiterated that again either yesterday or today. Said he only had positive things to say about his time with the NEP.
The nfl' s hiring record is a joke. Thats a fact. So Im giving Flores the benefit of the doubt until the facts prove otherwise.

Bill thought he was texting Daboll.
This part is all I truly know about. I keep seeing headlines starting with "BILL BELICHICK," but t least at the start it was big trumping up of his name, but the texting with BB was evidence of the timing of the Giants' actions, rather than anything about BB's complicity. But put 2 and 2 together. He's congratulating the wrong Brian. He's been consulted by the Gintz. He participated in the choice by putting in his 2 cents, and now he's congratulating Flo (by mistake.) That fact pattern does look like he is part of the "regardless what goes on with Flores" loop... from Flo's vantage point, if that is what he is saying.

However, what makes it conjecture is that we still don't know that BB knew all the people who were going to be interviewed.

What might be bad for BB is if Flores knew that BB knew that Flores was yet to be interviewed.

I went and looked for the story to get caught up, and they had Flores' suit listed. It names the 3 teams involved, then "29 John Doe teams," in a class action (the class suing being black coaching candidates I believe, although it could conceivably -- conceivably -- just be Blacks.)

I was trying to find Flores' new quotes, and will go back out & look again. That "29 John Doe Teams" means to me this is going to be a very serious off-season, if the coaching world is what we all suspect it is, that is, an old boys' club. I mean where else do you repeatedly find that the best guy for the job just happens to be a blood relative?

Get your popcorn ready.

Do I understand Flo clearly? The Giants called for a reference on Daboll and Bill gave it to them? Is that what he's upset about?

Ok, so yeah, BB's part seems to be not his own exposure for at least this incident, but what he knew about the Giants' decision. Still whatever the court case, we'll have a few months of "What did BB know and when did he know it."

This is a weird position to be in for Flo, if I understand him right... it's sort of saying "Yeah, BB is part of that whole club..." but meanwhile personally liking (from what I've seen) BB. That can happen. If that's the case as of right now, I don't know what can become of that friendship over the course of the lawsuit.

I disagree about the unethical part.
And the giants had already given daboll a zoom interview. IF they hadnt made their minds up already why was belichick congratulting who he thought was daboll via text? I disagree with you about flores implying bb is racist. He worked for him for what ? 12 years? And has had only great things to say about bb and the pats. He reiterated that again either yesterday or today. Said he only had positive things to say about his time with the NEP.
The nfl' s hiring record is a joke. Thats a fact. So Im giving Flores the benefit of the doubt until the facts prove otherwise.
Do you really think the giants made a decision on a 20 minute zoom call before the real interview? Why interview then?
It’s pretty clear belichick heard from his contacts that Daboll was the favorite. A lot can happen after that.

I know you want to find other reasons to defend what Flores said about BB, but when you are claimed to be part of the problem in a claim of racism, at the least you are supporting racists. Of course that’s all ******** but it’s what Flores thinks.

Pederson not Leftwich in Jax. Interesting look after the Flores lawsuit…
So you think every team has to hire black coaches, or at least feel immense pressure to, because Flores filed a lawsuit?
Isn’t that discriminatory?

In my opinion, I thought the NYG statement was too detailed and specific to be all lies. Whereas it seems Flores case rests on at best, text messages and unprovable (in a court of law) claims of racism with the club following the NFL's (ineffective) rules.

Can't prove this, can't prove that. There, that settles it. Whatever. 1 back head coach in the NFL is an embarrassment.

Brian Flores believes he's a great coach and deserves an opportunity to be hired as a head coach. He's practically alluded to that every time he has spoken. That's fine, but it's not up to him to make the hiring decision for teams. I find Flores to be authentic about his feelings and how he may feel like he's being overlooked because of his race or that he was fired because of his race, and that I'm sure is a terrible feeling. However, I don't think the Giants didn't chose Flores as their HC because of his race, I think they just thought Daboll was the best fit. The Dolphins have said they fired Flores because of workplace conflicts with others...conflicts were reported thought-out the season regarding Flores and the Dolphins. Who knows on that one and what went on in Miami behind the scenes...

I mean where else do you repeatedly find that the best guy for the job just happens to be a blood relative?
Great line
-------------
Stevie B..........renowned for his "No Punt" defense

1643983231651.png

Last edited:
This is a weird position to be in for Flo, if I understand him right... it's sort of saying "Yeah, BB is part of that whole club..." but meanwhile personally liking (from what I've seen) BB. That can happen. If that's the case as of right now, I don't know what can become of that friendship over the course of the lawsuit.
It's dead. The moment Flores released Bill's texts it was dead.

. I mean where else do you repeatedly find that the best guy for the job just happens to be a blood relative?
This is a blatant misrepresentation. How does it happen REPEATEDLY? How many HCs were hired by a blood relative? Zero I think. Almost never has a coordinator been hired by a blood relative. Sons of coaches tend to be coaches. That doesn’t mean every job they ever get is nepotism.

It's dead. The moment Flores released Bill's texts it was dead.
If not the comments accusing him of being part of the problem sure did.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back