PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Brady to Retire? (UPDATE: RETIRED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pretzels people will twist themselves into to claim Bill didn't make a mistake is comical.

Time will tell if he made a mistake. If Mac Jones wins the Pats say two or three Super Bowls, he certain made the right decision even if it was dumb luck that Mac Jones fell to the Pats.

One thing for sure is if Brady retires after this season, the Pat would have had as many Super Bowls with him as they have without him. With the Pats’ defense falling apart like it did, Brady wouldn’t have been able to overcome that vs. Allen, Mahomes, or Burrow this year. And Brady couldn’t have overcome the lack of talent last year.

I would agree if I thought Bill wanted to stick around for 4-5 more years but I really don’t think he does. It’s a very steep climb imo. The Pats and especially Jones have to get really good really fast for that to be doable. Judging by this playoff season and the needs this team has it’s not going to be easy.

How many more games would the Pats have won the last two years with Brady? What like 4-5? And how many fewer games would they win next year in the first year post Brady vs. Mac Jones hopefully making a sophomore year jump in production? Any wins gained the last two years with Brady if he stayed could be lost in the next years with the post Brady decline and rebuild attempt just being pushed back two years? It would probably be a wash.

Now if Brady was to play for another two or three years, it might have made a difference. But if Brady stayed in New England and retired this week, the Pats would likely be a sub .500 team next year unless they traded for Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson (I am not sure any of them would want to come to New England).

When Brady does retire, I wonder how many years of his retirement will need to pass before he can be start being mentioned here without someone using that as a launching point to say Bill made a mistake.

I should hope so but I really don't know.

He already had 3 rings and a HOF career before he met Guerrero, I think he knows that it was his partnership with Belichick that made them both the GOATS. But that’s just my take on it.

When Brady does retire, I wonder how many years of his retirement will need to pass before he can be start being mentioned here without someone using that as a launching point to say Bill made a mistake.

Eternity.

It’ll never happen. Even if we somehow win the SB next year, someone will say the Pats messed up.

Damn. A great day but a sad one.

So much for my Gisele theory.

This thread is starting to remind me of having my lower (slightly impacted) wisdom teeth out. I put it off forever because I knew it would be unpleasant, and it was, but wow what a relief when it was all over and done.

Hit me a little harder than I expected, even though I expect it (called it just at the end of the Rams game).

As an aside: I know how the board operates but Brady retiring doesn't strike me as remotely even "semi OT". Maybe time for a title change there. I've lived through great Boston athletes from Orr to Bird to Yaz/Lynn/Rice/Pedro/Ortiz, but no athlete defines my sports lifetime like Brady.

Tom, I fully love you again. Thank you for everything. I only hope that your accolades, hundreds of millions of dollars, and loving super model wife can see you through this challenging time.

How many more games would the Pats have won the last two years with Brady? What like 4-5? And how many fewer games would they win next year in the first year post Brady vs. Mac Jones hopefully making a sophomore year jump in production? Any wins gained the last two years with Brady if he stayed could be lost in the next years with the post Brady decline and rebuild attempt just being pushed back two years? It would probably be a wash.

Now if Brady was to play for another two or three years, it might have made a difference. But if Brady stayed in New England and retired this week, the Pats would likely be a sub .500 team next year unless they traded for Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson (I am not sure any of them would want to come to New England).

I would have loved to see Brady sign a 2-3 year deal to finish his career here but I think Belichick was being honest when he said that they had exhausted their ability to keep spending for free agents who could get them to a place where a championship was realistic, and Brady was on record as saying he wanted to do what Manning had done and try to win a Lombardi with another team. I think Belichick wanted enough time post Brady to rebuild to a championship level before retiring, and they had to move on from Brady, unpopular as it was, to have the time to do that. I’m happy for Brady having the chance to get another ring in Tampa Bay, and I’m happy that Belichick is doing as good a job as he has done with the post dynasty rebuild. Hopefully Belichick can get them another Lombardi before he calls it quits, but either way he will leave them in far better shape than most dynasties have enjoyed once their run ends. The Packers of the 60’s, Dolphins of the 70’s, Steelers of the 70’s, Cowboys of 70’s and 90’s, and 49ers of the 90’s all went on to long dry spells after their dynasty’s ended, Belichick is trying to do what none of them could do and make the Patriots the exception to that rule. Patriot fans should appreciate that, but it’s not surprising that a large number of them never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back