PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Big Ten, Pac 12 will not play football in 2020

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, all in an effort to get the bad orange man ... pathetic

My biggest question is, if the college NFL season is canceled, but the NFLs Season plays out, what happens with the draft next year?

College sports governance is looking to show that it's even more ridiculous than we already thought it was.

With no college and presumably no HS games, if the NFL indeed has a season, could we have NFL on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, & Monday? Maybe TV ratings can close the revenue shortfall.

My biggest question is, if the college NFL season is canceled, but the NFLs Season plays out, what happens with the draft next year?

Will be the same crapshoot as always just with an added layer of uncertainty. More busts and more steals.

From what I heard, theyre not cancelling, just planning to play "in the spring".
Assuming all the other power 5's follow suit, that means they would need approx 4 months for full season incl playoffs.
Dont need that long layoff they do in Dec, maybe start playoffs 2 weeks after season.
So March- mid June? February-mid-May seems more likely. Vaccine is projected to be ready by Feb. so makes sense.
NFL can adapt pretty easily.
Northern schools will have some cold home games. Seems doable.

Last edited:
Will be the same crapshoot as always just with an added layer of uncertainty. More busts and more steals.
Also what happens if both are canceled. Do both just extend all aspects of the business till the next year, or some how, do The college kids have a legal right to leave to join a draft, and if that is the case, they how do they sort that out. A equal lottery? I don’t know, feels like some real weird things could happen.

Also what happens if both are canceled. Do both just extend all aspects of the business till the next year, or some how, do The college kids have a legal right to leave to join a draft, and if that is the case, they how do they sort that out. A equal lottery? I don’t know, feels like some real weird things could happen.

Why would the draft be cancelled ?

There is tape on everyone that will enter it. Just a season less of it than usual. It will hurt a lot of actually good players that will end up as day 3 picks and some overrated ones will benefit and become busts. So almost business as usual.

If the league gets cancelled I am sure they will find some weird moronic scheme that nobody will be happy with and the Pats get screwed.

Last edited:
Why would the draft be cancelled ?

There is tape on everyone that will enter it. Just a season less of it than usual. It will hurt a lot of actually good players that will end up as day 3 picks and some overrated ones will benefit and become busts. So almost business as usual.

If the league gets cancelled I am sure they will find some weird moronic scheme that nobody will be happy with and the Pats get screwed.
I could totally see a “we’ve complied draft order based off of the w/l record of teams over last 20 seasons”

With no college and presumably no HS games, if the NFL indeed has a season, could we have NFL on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, & Monday? Maybe TV ratings can close the revenue shortfall.
I saw a graphic the other day that showed HS was still being played in a lot of states. Who knows how long.

The NFL draft starts April 29, 2021. The NFL has been adamant that it wont move the draft dates. Possible draftees are going to want to train for the draft and teams are going to want to interview them beforehand. My pea sized brain can't figure out how a spring season would work. A guy who's been drafted isn't going to play college football and risk a big payday.

I could totally see a “we’ve complied draft order based off of the w/l record of teams over last 20 seasons”

I don't think you can find any metric that takes into account the average over whatever span of years without screwing us hard. So knowing the league office that is a good bet.

But not counting 2020 (if it happens) because it was tainted.

Good. Never should have taken them this long to decide this. Hopefully the rest of the conferences fall in line.

Also, Nocera is right on, here:

Yes those free $120K college educations, many at the expense of taxpayers, these poor coddled athletes less such difficult lives on campus... Such indentured servitude!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back