PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Big Ten, Pac 12 will not play football in 2020

"I heard decisions will be made early next week". "Big shots will be meeting Mon-Tues day/night. "Some minds are made up ... firm, on both sides. But not enough willing to risk it".

Shared a few thoughts in the draft forum over the weekend. I also wrote I don't really believe we'll see spring ball. I'd be happy and welcome it but too many guys would be looking towards the draft. Not enough schools would be ready. Things wouldn't be normal enough. And we're here. Disappointed, sad but not surprised.

This was all really breaking late last week and became reality for most when they woke up on Saturday looking towards this week. Minds were made but no one really talked as a collective.

Few things ...
2021 Draft - If I'm considered a top 100 pick or borderline I'm completely focusing on the draft and never worrying about college again. That's someone else's fight or fight it as a millionaire from a platform.

It'll definitely change things but prospects that belong and can play will get drafted. Most likely later but no one is falling off the map here.

Most here didn't know Joe Bradys name last year for good reason.
Screenshot_2020-08-10-16-56-21~2.png
Again if you can play the draftniks and scouts know about you. Maybe JB isn't #1 overall but top 25-40 and he's on the Pats instead of Cinci? Things will work out in respect to sleepers or w/e. There really are none in today's game. It'll be a big factor but not in terms of guys coming out of nowhere. You'll be taking a bigger risk than normal. That's not a crapshoot , I wish that word wasn't associated with the draft. That's just an excuse. Nobody has a blindfold on here. Smart FO types will reach out and lean on scouts more than normal for early picks I guess.

Another thing I've learned over the years is very few guys go from 0-100. In those case it's more about opportunity as opposed to talent. Most prospects don't dramatically change year to year. It'll be key to pick out and recognize who's improved where. Who's been working with who. I'm curious about guys workout tapes that will be hella fun to watch. Omg everyone will have one. I hope guys get on the board, break down their tape. Hire some pros to help them and show the process they've been dedicated and working on.

The combine is always huge. Besides the SB & Draft itself, its the biggest event in the NFL. Biggest in terms of meetings, networking & potential/deals in the works.
It's always been a factor in the evaluation process. It'll take on more weight this year in some people's process.

There's also plenty of tape out there. YT shut down a ton of guys but there are A22 bootleggers that sell tape and regular tape as well.Screenshot_2020-08-10-17-49-41.png

So the 2021 Draft will go on as planned or very close to the original date. NFL knows the stakes and will fight on no matter imo. If they make it past the first 3-4 weeks, they'll get at least a 10-12 game season in with playoffs. And they won't want to disrupt their schedule and get in the mess that's college ball/NCAA.

So from my pov draft season has started & it's just a lot more fluid/flexible than normal.

Last edited:
I can't imagine any body looking more inept rn than the NCAA & big shots looking for a $ grab.

This has 0 to do with health. The well-being of these kids. It's 100% covering their behinds.

I hope the players take matters into their own hands. No one is going to see these AD'S/School Presidents & coaches in their boxes.

I would love to see some a start up somewhere.

Back to the main issue or one of them. These kids aren't going home. The kids that opted out were still going to be hanging around the facility, training. 30-40K kids will be on campus. College football could've happened. The players wanted to play and wanted some structure from above and were met with very little in terms of a real plan.

They would have been safer getting tested. Monitored by doctors. A bunch of kids tested positive or just got tested bc they played football. In turn knowing their status and not passing it to their families.

NCAA had like 6 months and everyone from players & coaches willing to compromise on a schedule. They failed big time. Again I hope the players take some control over this process.

NCAA only has itself to blame. It's not like this thing hasn't been brought up and approached before.

Good. Never should have taken them this long to decide this. Hopefully the rest of the conferences fall in line.

Also, Nocera is right on, here:

I couldn't disagree more with Nocera on this.

It's not what is happening.

The schools are going to be out $50-$100m. They are taking a huge hit.

For once, they are being ethical. There have been at least 5 B1G athletes that have myocarditis now. If you want some nefarious conspiratorial cynicism, then say the Presidents are doing this because they don't want to be sued for hundreds of millions of dollars for destroying the lives of students for a sport.

From what I heard, theyre not cancelling, just planning to play "in the spring".
Assuming all the other power 5's follow suit, that means they would need approx 4 months for full season incl playoffs.
Dont need that long layoff they do in Dec, maybe start playoffs 2 weeks after season.
So March- mid June? February-mid-May seems more likely. Vaccine is projected to be ready by Feb. so makes sense.
NFL can adapt pretty easily.
Northern schools will have some cold home games. Seems doable.

It would have to be post-vaccine. They are not going to play if the students can get sick.

It would have to be post-vaccine. They are not going to play if the students can get sick.

Uh,yeah. That goes w/o saying. Why else would they postpone the season in the first place?

I can't imagine any body looking more inept rn than the NCAA & big shots looking for a $ grab.

This has 0 to do with health. The well-being of these kids. It's 100% covering their behinds.

I hope the players take matters into their own hands. No one is going to see these AD'S/School Presidents & coaches in their boxes.

I would love to see some a start up somewhere.

Back to the main issue or one of them. These kids aren't going home. The kids that opted out were still going to be hanging around the facility, training. 30-40K kids will be on campus. College football could've happened. The players wanted to play and wanted some structure from above and were met with very little in terms of a real plan.

They would have been safer getting tested. Monitored by doctors. A bunch of kids tested positive or just got tested bc they played football. In turn knowing their status and not passing it to their families.

NCAA had like 6 months and everyone from players & coaches willing to compromise on a schedule. They failed big time. Again I hope the players take some control over this process.

NCAA only has itself to blame. It's not like this thing hasn't been brought up and approached before.

The presidents have no way of making it safe for them. They have no way of covering them in case they get sick potentially for life. They are not going to make the players sign waivers because no students are required to sign waivers. The schools are in the middle of an unprecedented shortfall not only from lack of revenue and lack of state subsidy, but because of a lack of foreign students as well, topping it off with no fans in the stands. They can't test, they know they can't do anything to stop this. The fact that they waited until now is on them because the writing has been on the while for a very long time.

Some Big Ten teams are hinting at playing anyway, and temporarily joining another conference. Could you imagine OSU in the SEC?!? I don't think it'll happen but MAN that would help settle countless CFB arguments!!

The presidents have no way of making it safe for them. They have no way of covering them in case they get sick potentially for life. They are not going to make the players sign waivers because no students are required to sign waivers. The schools are in the middle of an unprecedented shortfall not only from lack of revenue and lack of state subsidy, but because of a lack of foreign students as well, topping it off with no fans in the stands. They can't test, they know they can't do anything to stop this. The fact that they waited until now is on them because the writing has been on the while for a very long time.
If you're really worried about health you're not having 40K+ on campus this fall/winter. Again these players aren't going home in most cases. Players that opted out were still around the team and facilities. This isn't about health or player safety.

Their a billion dollar force without reach throughout the world. Not just states.

They could've isolated themselves with the resources they have and really taken this serious but we're so afraid and dragging at losing $ at the gate. Around the small towns that live/die on college ball. Those have no chance if college isn't played.

Some Big Ten teams are hinting at playing anyway, and temporarily joining another conference. Could you imagine OSU in the SEC?!? I don't think it'll happen but MAN that would help settle countless CFB arguments!!
Notre Dame already has joined the ACC and will play BC this year.

Spring NCAA football makes a lot of sense to me, from lots of perspectives. I suspect that there will be at most one non-conference game, as is now the case of the ACC (unless they cancel).

If you're really worried about health you're not having 40K+ on campus this fall/winter. Again these players aren't going home in most cases. Players that opted out were still around the team and facilities. This isn't about health or player safety.

Their a billion dollar force without reach throughout the world. Not just states.

They could've isolated themselves with the resources they have and really taken this serious but we're so afraid and dragging at losing $ at the gate. Around the small towns that live/die on college ball. Those have no chance if college isn't played.

It's about health.

Do you realize that each B1G school gets $50+m from TV alone?

They are forgoing $50+m with this, and they still have to pay the coaches and foot the bill for the players housing/food/tuition.

By the way, any campus with 40k is definitely going to shut down.

The top modelers and epidemiologists said that if you have 10,000 students on a college campus, and 10 of them arrive infected, you can expect that 99% of the student body will be infected inside of the first month UNLESS everyone gets tested every 2 days, and the infected are isolated (where? I don't know).

The vast majority of campuses are going mainly online. Some classes are hybrid. Few are live.

Spring NCAA football makes a lot of sense to me, from lots of perspectives. I suspect that there will be at most one non-conference game, as is now the case of the ACC (unless they cancel).
I'd love to see spring NCAA action.... start after the Super Bowl... do Memorial Day in place of New Year's Day.... I think the major drawback to that is how do we know if things will really be better in 6-8 months?

I'd love to see spring NCAA action.... start after the Super Bowl... do Memorial Day in place of New Year's Day.... I think the major drawback to that is how do we know if things will really be better in 6-8 months?

It depends on the vaccine. They won't do it unless there is one.

It's about health.

Do you realize that each B1G school gets $50+m from TV alone?

They are forgoing $50+m with this, and they still have to pay the coaches and foot the bill for the players housing/food/tuition.

By the way, any campus with 40k is definitely going to shut down.

The top modelers and epidemiologists said that if you have 10,000 students on a college campus, and 10 of them arrive infected, you can expect that 99% of the student body will be infected inside of the first month UNLESS everyone gets tested every 2 days, and the infected are isolated (where? I don't know).

The vast majority of campuses are going mainly online. Some classes are hybrid. Few are live.
40K might be high but 10K is extremely low imo. At major Universities? With all the $$$ they pay!??

Again college's aren't sending kids home. Sure they'll have some classes online. Let's pretend they have 90% of their classes online. They'll still have a crazy amount of kids on campus doing what they want when no one is looking.

With football you might've had a structure. Playing football wasn't more of a risk. NCAA just never put a proper plan in place. Some teams couldn't afford to keep with Clemson, Bama and were left out to dry. Again they cried about losing $ at the gate as opposed to coming up with a real plan.

NCAA is about as concerned for players health as the NFL is for pros.

At any rate I hope players gain more control. NCAA all but admitted they're useless & incompetent and can't protect their most valuable "students".

It depends on the vaccine. They won't do it unless there is one.

The NCAA needs to work out the protocols for possible Spring football. There definitely be 15 minute tests generally available by then. Many currently have such access. Everyone needs to be tested in and out of all games. There needs to be a team hotel and quarantine when traveling, and a football dorm for those who need to isolated.

And yes, I think, to be "safe" (certainly more immune from lawsuits), there needs to be vaccine that everyone takes.

The NCAA needs to work out the protocols for possible Spring football. There definitely be 15 minute tests generally available by then. Many currently have such access. Everyone needs to be tested in and out of all games. There needs to be a team hotel and quarantine when traveling, and a football dorm for those who need to isolated.

And yes, I think, to be "safe" (certainly more immune from lawsuits), there needs to be vaccine that everyone takes.
I hope the players tell them to kick rocks. See you in the fall. I'm not playing 2 seasons in 8-10 months.

What's this about player safety??

Story has been trending all day but I've seen nothing that confirms the Big-10 is canceling football.

Maybe they will but the rhetoric saying it's a done deal is premature.

Scott Frost says Nebraska is playing one-way or another: Frost: Nebraska prepared to play outside Big Ten

Last edited:
I hope the players tell them to kick rocks. See you in the fall. I'm not playing 2 seasons in 8-10 months.

What's this about player safety??

Sure, the seniors should say that they won't play? NOT! Your position sounds fine for us outsiders like us.

This is their lives and careers. Few seniors will boycott, after taking 4 years of scholarship money.
In college, for may, this is their most important year. You want them to rely on their junior numbers for the draft.

Sure, the seniors should say that they won't play? NOT! Your position sounds fine for us outsiders like us.

This is their lives and careers. Few seniors will boycott, after taking 4 years of scholarship money.
In college, for may, this is their most important year. You want them to rely on their junior numbers for the draft.

For every guy who opts-out there are 20 football players champing at the bit to suit up and take their place.

Filling the roster will not be a problem.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back