PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Atlanta has fired HC Dan Quinn and GM Tom Dimitroff

Both could be bought out if they agree to a trade somewhere to lessen the cap hit.

But even if you trade them, their bonus money gets tacked onto their original team's cap as dead money. They'd still add up to lot of dead money on the Falcons 2021 cap, even if the trade is after the draft (post June 1). If they wait until after June 1, they crush their 2022 cap even more. See Julio Jones and Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan trade pre-June 1: Dead money $44,437,500 in 2021
Matt Ryan trade post-June 1: Dead money $17,912,500 in 2021 & $26,525,000 in 2022

Julio Jones trade pre-June 1: Dead money $23,250,000 in 2021
Julio Jones trade post-June 1: Dead money $7,750,000 in 2021 & $15,500,000 in 2022

2022 is a completely different story. I would not be surprised to see both of them gone by then.

That's a pretty big acceleration for a team without a lot of wiggle room... But hey, they want to drop Matt Ryan, be good for us... He'd find his way to SF most likely...
SF would probably take Ryan over Garappolo, I know one team that wouldn't mind kicking the tires on ol Jimmy

Can you imagine Caserio (essentially the GM the last 5+ years) going to work for and report into Easterly who was basically a glorified team chaplain and rah-rah cheerleader ?

Can you imagine Caserio (essentially the GM the last 5+ years) going to work for and report into Easterly who was basically a glorified team chaplain and rah-rah cheerleader ?
I heard from an NFL insider the day BOB got fired that players had no idea what Easterly even does or why he's there.

But even if you trade them, their bonus money gets tacked onto their original team's cap as dead money. They'd still add up to lot of dead money on the Falcons 2021 cap, even if the trade is after the draft (post June 1). If they wait until after June 1, they crush their 2022 cap even more. See Julio Jones and Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan trade pre-June 1: Dead money $44,437,500 in 2021
Matt Ryan trade post-June 1: Dead money $17,912,500 in 2021 & $26,525,000 in 2022

Julio Jones trade pre-June 1: Dead money $23,250,000 in 2021
Julio Jones trade post-June 1: Dead money $7,750,000 in 2021 & $15,500,000 in 2022

2022 is a completely different story. I would not be surprised to see both of them gone by then.
I understand the cap hit is a lot, but if the Falcons get the #1 or #2 pick, they will find a way to move on from Ryan.

No. Ryan is a good quarterback. I've compared him to Bledsoe before and I think the comparison is apt. The guy won't carry you very often but give him some support and he'll win games for you.
No, it's time to move on. He's had plenty of talent around him and now that talent is deteriorating. His only real good year was with Shanahan in 2016. He's been average-above average pre Shanahan and he's declined every year since Shanahan left.

If I am the Falcons I move Julio now and likely get a first round pick but settle for a second. As for Ryan, unless some team blows them away with an offer it is hard to believe they trade him this season due to his contract. If they were to trade him before the Oct. 29 trade deadline, the Falcons would take a dead cap hit of $17.9 million this season and $44.4 million next season. If they got rid of him next year it would be the $44.4 million which is still a huge number but at least by then you know where you are draft wise and even if they win enough games to slide out of the top 5 they would have ammo to move with the Julio trade pick they received. Maybe Shanahan is ready to move on from Jimmy G and make a run at reuniting with Ryan to rekindle what they had that 2016 season. Who knows but this was a team built to win now and will have to dump a lot of salary since I saw somewhere that they were set to be $25 million over the cap next year and that is assuming the cap is in the ballpark of where it is now and not decreased.

This is so Atlanta

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back