PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seeding Play

They want Heat Lakers if they can get it there. A) Easier for the Lakers and B) Pat Riley gets to "play" his old ream. Ditto for Bron Bron. The Cs are not good for business and, yes they may still get there, but it will be a herculean effort to do so.

Heat in 6.

Yeah right...the league wants to lose revenue by having the Heat in the Finals instead of the Celtics and eschewing a potential Lakers-Celtics series that would give America the normalcy they crave.

The Celtics are objectively the bigger ticket seller between the two. They have more star/superstar power.

you changed your mind.

Yeah after I saw tonight, the writing is in the wall. Unless there is some miracle that happens, and yes Kemba sucks..but I don't see how they win by beating the officials and the Heat. Game one of the CFs are usually a good read on how they want it to go.

Maybe I am wrong, and maybe they want this to go 7 and its a toss up to see who wins game 7. That could be the play as well.

Yeah right...the league wants to lose revenue by having the Heat in the Finals instead of the Celtics and eschewing a potential Lakers-Celtics series that would give America the normalcy they crave.

The Celtics are objectively the bigger ticket seller between the two. They have more star/superstar power.

Cs/Lakers are boring. Thats old news. As I said above Pat Riley has PULL. He wants to go to the Finals, unless his players cough it up when they aren't supposed to...they will go.

Nobody looks at the records of certain officials as I noted above. I gotta look up the Foster/Brothers number for the Heat. If the NBA wanted to get back to some sort of up and up, they'd have a video review of those "fake" shots. Shots that the player wasn't shooting at all and convert those, if real fouls to personal on the floor fouls.

Thats a good place to start.

Cs/Lakers are boring. Thats old news. As I said above Pat Riley has PULL. He wants to go to the Finals, unless his players cough it up when they aren't supposed to...they will go.

Nobody looks at the records of certain officials as I noted above. I gotta look up the Foster/Brothers number for the Heat. If the NBA wanted to get back to some sort of up and up, they'd have a video review of those "fake" shots. Shots that the player wasn't shooting at all and convert those, if real fouls to personal on the floor fouls.

Thats a good place to start.

A good place to start is the Celtics had a comfortable lead with two minutes left, the Heat made three clutch 3s, the Celtics blew yet another lead, and there were no notable bad calls in either regulation or OT.

Celts screwed the pooch and the heat took advantage.....onto game 2.....Hayward would help....I also think timelord could help more

A good place to start is the Celtics had a comfortable lead with two minutes left, the Heat made three clutch 3s, the Celtics blew yet another lead, and there were no notable bad calls in either regulation or OT.

Whatever calls got them to the bonus with 6 minutes left were the ones to look at. Again it affects everything. You can't risk a charge. You can't risk playing really hard defense. You hesitate to strip the ball because one small mistake and its 2 points.

I always look a the bonus in every quarter, and especially in the 4th. That tells you how the game is going, and how the refs want the game to go. It is a game manipulation tool. And they have 4 quarters to use it.

The Celtics are still being built....

Celts studs are still puppies......both Tatum and Brown still don’t know they need to be at their best in crunch time......another year and another 10 lbs and Tatum crushes that dunk into adebayo with 2 hands and gets the and 1....they’re both still work in progress protecting the ball in the paint.....I look at Miami and their most important player is 34 .... dragic is the glue for that team

The Celtics really miss Hayward on offense. He's easily the best passer on the team. The offense has a much better flow with him out there.

Yikes. The Lakers just punched their ticket into the Finals. Absolutely no chance the Nuggets can beat this Lakers team. Unbelievable. Those guys have failed to rebuild year after year only to luck into LeBron and AD because of their brand.

Yikes. The Lakers just punched their ticket into the Finals. Absolutely no chance the Nuggets can beat this Lakers team. Unbelievable. Those guys have failed to rebuild year after year only to luck into LeBron and AD because of their brand.
I think they will win but don’t be so quick to count out Denver. The Nuggets winning should put a pin in any conspiracy theories. I guarantee you the NBA would have preferred a Lakers/Clippers series and yet Denver not only won... they kicked the Clippers’ asses.

Ainge was on 98.5 this morning and his quote (not exact but close) "Miami got us in the penalty with 7 and a half minutes left and I knew we were in a bad spot".

Ding ding ding. There it is. NBA game management, Ainge even knows if as he made a point to bring it up. That's a full minute longer than I thought. 6:20 to 7:30 is a big difference. I think the Celtics went in the penalty around a minute or 2 left in the quarter. People moan about this call or that call, but it's when a team goes into the penalty that matters. That has a far bigger impact on a game than some random missed or bad call in a quarter.

Much like all leagues, they get away with these game management calls because there are ALWAYS player/coaching mistakes that can be pointed at and used to say "See, if Kemba just could have made a shot" they would have won. Meanwhile the league's snicker behind the scenes because the fans are conditioned by the media to blame the players and coaches and never, ever blame the refs or the game management.

Ainge was on 98.5 this morning and his quote (not exact but close) "Miami got us in the penalty with 7 and a half minutes left and I knew we were in a bad spot".

Ding ding ding. There it is. NBA game management, Ainge even knows if as he made a point to bring it up. That's a full minute longer than I thought. 6:20 to 7:30 is a big difference. I think the Celtics went in the penalty around a minute or 2 left in the quarter. People moan about this call or that call, but it's when a team goes into the penalty that matters. That has a far bigger impact on a game than some random missed or bad call in a quarter.

Much like all leagues, they get away with these game management calls because there are ALWAYS player/coaching mistakes that can be pointed at and used to say "See, if Kemba just could have made a shot" they would have won. Meanwhile the league's snicker behind the scenes because the fans are conditioned by the media to blame the players and coaches and never, ever blame the refs or the game management.
Which specific calls were not actually fouls? You never answered this last night. Check the FG percentage, 3 point percentage, and point differential in crunch time. That’s where you lost the game. Isolation basketball late in the 4th vs ball movement and clutch shots.

I notice you think pretty much every sport, including football, is fixed. And you’re typically singing this song when your team loses, but you’re quiet about it when your team wins. Furthermore, if the league is so fixed, how does Denver win last night when an LA/LA series has infinitely more intrigue and will draw a bigger viewing audience? Face it - the Celtics got outplayed in crunch time. Their defensive intensity never let up. It’ll be a good series, though. I expect Boston to take Game 2.

Which specific calls were not actually fouls? You never answered this last night. Check the FG percentage, 3 point percentage, and point differential in crunch time. That’s where you lost the game. Isolation basketball late in the 4th vs ball movement and clutch shots.

I notice you think pretty much every sport, including football, is fixed. And you’re typically singing this song when your team loses, but you’re quiet about it when your team wins. Furthermore, if the league is so fixed, how does Denver win last night when an LA/LA series has infinitely more intrigue and will draw a bigger viewing audience? Face it - the Celtics got outplayed in crunch time. Their defensive intensity never let up. It’ll be a good series, though. I expect Boston to take Game 2.

I don't track every single foul. And yes they are fixed. To what level? I don't know for sure because nobody dares to ask the question or do any investigating. I supposed fixed may not be appropriate for every game, but is highly influenced a better term? I think there are some games that are played on the up and up. Put it this way. If on replay you or an announcer says...well, or hmmm or I don't...well then it was most likely an influence foul. Missing fouls is natural and SOME actual missed calls are natural as well. This is why a foul needs to be blatant and for the entire world to say yup, that was a foul and there are plenty of those.

As far as when "my" team wins, I fully believe they overcome both. It's an anti-New England mentality in all leagues that drives the "influenced" calls. Again, just look how Brady is being treated in the media now, versus when he was in NE. I have head far more excuse making and more respect than he ever got in NE. Hell look at the 3 PI calls he got in one game, his first game that were extremely rare when he was in NE.

I didn't watch the LA/Denver series so I don't know when what team went into the bonus if at all and when. Also, LA/LA is one market. LA/Denver at least grabs another market share which in the end will probably be much bigger than the former.

Again, Tony Brothers. 15-2 in Rap games. They won so it went to 16-2. Does that guy have any business officiating a Raptors playoff game? I mean its a running well known saying, if the NBA wants a result, send in Brothers or Foster.

I don't track every single foul.

And, yet, here you are... questioning the legitimacy of those very fouls that put the Celts into the bonus. Do you understand how ridiculous that looks? You can't name one foul that was called that was not legitimate, but they were the result of crooked officiating. Stop.

And yes they are fixed. To what level? I don't know for sure because nobody dares to ask the question or do any investigating. I supposed fixed may not be appropriate for every game, but is highly influenced a better term? I think there are some games that are played on the up and up. Put it this way. If on replay you or an announcer says...well, or hmmm or I don't...well then it was most likely an influence foul. Missing fouls is natural and SOME actual missed calls are natural as well. This is why a foul needs to be blatant and for the entire world to say yup, that was a foul and there are plenty of those.

There is no way the NFL, MLB, NBA, and whatever other sport you think is fixed would get away with fixing games in an era of social media where, if one farts the wrong way, a Tweet from 2009 is dug up. Who are they? The mob? Would people start dropping if they exposed these leagues? FFS, we have an Internet community so good at what they do (4chan) that they can identify a man based on some grainy video of his face after he opens fire into a crowd. And you think major sports leagues could get away with fixing games during an era like this when such a thing would, undoubtedly, be the biggest sports scandal of all time?

As far as when "my" team wins, I fully believe they overcome both. It's an anti-New England mentality in all leagues that drives the "influenced" calls. Again, just look how Brady is being treated in the media now, versus when he was in NE. I have head far more excuse making and more respect than he ever got in NE. Hell look at the 3 PI calls he got in one game, his first game that were extremely rare when he was in NE.

1. Nobody cares about New England outside of New England, let alone enough to try to fix sporting events against teams from that region.

2. If a game/sport is fixed against an opponent, the whole point of the fixing is so that opponent does not win. Point blank. There is no overcoming that. In the period of time in which you've accused the NFL of fixing games against the Patriots, they've been to nine Super Bowls and have won six. If the NFL fixed anything against the Patriots, they did the ****tiest job of all time.

Also, LA/LA is one market. LA/Denver at least grabs another market share which in the end will probably be much bigger than the former.

This is exceptionally incorrect. LA is a big basketball market. Denver is not. Kawhi and Paul George are big names. Jamal Murray and Jokic are not. The former going against LeBron/AD would almost assuredly smoke the latter going against the same duo. And yet the latter advanced anyway. That blows a massive hole in any "fixed" argument.

Again, Tony Brothers. 15-2 in Rap games. They won so it went to 16-2. Does that guy have any business officiating a Raptors playoff game? I mean its a running well known saying, if the NBA wants a result, send in Brothers or Foster.

What that tells me is the Raptors have been a good team over that period of time. Further, if the NBA wanted the Raptors to win, why wouldn't he have officiated Game 7?

This is exceptionally incorrect. LA is a big basketball market. Denver is not. Kawhi and Paul George are big names. Jamal Murray and Jokic are not. The former going against LeBron/AD would almost assuredly smoke the latter going against the same duo. And yet the latter advanced anyway. That blows a massive hole in any "fixed" argument

The league would have a wet dream over a Kawhi-LeBron matchup, and that they’re both LA makes it even better with the franchises being David vs, Goliath historically. I honestly don’t think I’ll watch LAL/DEN but would have watched LAL/LAC.

Lakers-Celtics would also be a huge draw. It isn’t that Miami is a small market or lacks star power, but Lakers-Celtics is the league’s only multi-generational rivalary; plus LeBron’s history vs. Boston, Lakers looking to tie at 17, and the emergence of 22-year old Tatum.

There‘s no way the NBA is fixing games for Miami or Denver.

I‘ve thought this is the best overall officiating I’ve seen in a long time, and now I know why: no pressure from the home crowd, so refs don’t favor subconscious desires to be liked on close calls.

Well we will watch carefully the time that each team goes into the bonus and what the score differential is. Also, in the 4th see how many fouls are called quickly to ensure one team enters the bonus the first and when.

An LA/LA matchup is one that won't draw many people outside of California. LeBron again? Snooze. Kawhi? Boring...no personality and just saw him last year. Denver? Murray and the Joker. You people are failing to see the leagues plan. The Lakers may very well be unstoppable even in the Finals so that may be out of their hands. I'm not sure they will influence the Finals but getting Murray and the Joker on the big stage is a massive draw. People love fresh blood and that is the definition of it.

Here is Brothers' Celtics recent record as of last season.

"Over/Under 98.5 host Dan Lifshatz tweeted some damning information as it relates to the Celtics and Brothers-officiated games. Namely, they're 1-8 in their last nine postseason games with Brothers as the ref, and 0-13 in their last 13 road games."

Then look up the Rap numbers. If that doesn't smell then I can't help you. Much like penalties in the NFL are used to keep games close for entertainment value the same for the NBA. Then whoever overcomes that wins, or just isn't allowed to.

I don't think the NBA cares if it's Lakers Celtics or Lakers Miami.
Seems like LA is a lock for the finals.
Whether it's the Celtics or Miami, either would be good for the league.

LeBron vs his old team, Pat Riley vs his old team. Or, the classic Celtics Lakers to prevent the Lakers from #17.

@KontradictioN

Udonis Haslem is still playing???

That is absolutely nuts!

Dude was averaging like 3 ppg during Miami’s last title run seven years ago and looked like he was done. I just looked it up and he has continued to average about a bucket a game since then and is 40 now. Holy crap...what is the deal with that? Just a good leader? He has overstayed the “solid veteran mentor” role for what must be record length.

Both the celts and the heat are good stories this year.....as is Denver

this bubble season has been awesome to watch

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots