PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sebastian Janikowski vs Raiders.

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This could go down today and definitely by Saturday.

Excellent for the Patriots quest for #1 AFC if the Raiders have kicker problems.
The issue could be resolved as soon as Tuesday, with Janikowski accepting a reworked deal or with Oakland moving on to a new kicker.

If Janikowski is still on the roster at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, he will be guaranteed $238,000 -- 1/17th of his salary. Should the Poland product remain on the roster as of 4 p.m. ET Saturday, his deal will become guaranteed for the season.
Source: PK Janikowski declined reworked deal

Big story. Kickers are undervalued and a good one vs a bad ones changes the way you play the game. Personally I think just pay the man. Top kickers are not just out there usually... you need to draft them or sign them when they are available like Adam V. was.

Raiders put themselves in a corner here. They will have a hard enough time beating us as is even without Edelman. Going from top 10 to bottom top at this spot will hurt and i am confident they will be bottom 10 if they pull this.

i imagine even the raiders will realize how stupid they're being

however...i hate to say this but...he would be excellent competition for Ghost...i love Ghost but...technically, right now, this is a better kicker based on Ghost's recent performance no?

Well, he has a back injury, so it's not like the Raiders are just being cheap here (necessarily). They may have to bring in a kicker for this week's game regardless. I can see them wanting to redo SK's deal if he's not a sure bet to be playing.

however...i hate to say this but...he would be excellent competition for Ghost...i love Ghost but...technically, right now, this is a better kicker based on Ghost's recent performance no?

I dunna know....Gost is 6 years younger and Jani was slightly better in XP but was better inside 49 (3-8 outside of 49 while Gost was 2-4)

I know since the Pats/Den AFCCG hes been less than his normal awesome self, but I'd still keep Gost.

Raiders are spoiled ( as are we Pats fans with Adam and now Ghost). For them, for 17 years, they have had a reliable kicker who they could depend on to make the clutch kicks. 80% plus overall and better than 50% from over 50 yards ( and we are talking 55 and 56 yarders, not 51..) None are going to be perfect but you can count on them,,,They need to call Tampa Bay or a few other teams and ask what it is like having unreliable kickers.... Karma would be for them to cut him over him not taking a pay cut and having them lose an important game or a playoff game over a missed kick....

regardless, the raiders are not competition

regardless, the raiders are LIKELY not competition
Added your missing word.
Likely not. Predicting the AFCW winner (competition for pats) is going to come down to a bunch of funny ball bounces and injuries = unpredictable. But they could come out on top.

Be funny if the screw up kicking game over a few bucks.

regardless, the raiders are not competition

Yes they are. With a healthy Carr last year they went 10-2 with those 2 loses to Atlanta in a close game (who we barely beat) and KC on just an off day.

If Carr stays healthy they are likely 13-3 at worst. They shouldn't be any worse this year. That is not to say the Pats should lose as I never pick them to lose when fairly healthy but the gap isn't so huge they can't be beaten.

If the Pats play the Raiders and the Raiders play a good game and the Pats make a few mistakes they lose.

It is like Seattle and almost Atlanta last year. Teams the Pats should beat but they made a few mistakes and lost one and almost the other.

The Raiders are one of those teams that can beat the Pats if they play less than their 'A game' depending on how they themselves play. Most teams don't usually play their 'A game'; their 'B or C game' is more common.

Yes they are. With a healthy Carr last year they went 10-2 with those 2 loses to Atlanta in a close game (who we barely beat) and KC on just an off day.

If Carr stays healthy they are likely 13-3 at worst. They shouldn't be any worse this year. That is not to say the Pats should lose as I never pick them to lose when fairly healthy but the gap isn't so huge they can't be beaten.

If the Pats play the Raiders and the Raiders play a good game and the Pats make a few mistakes they lose.

It is like Seattle and almost Atlanta last year. Teams the Pats should beat but they made a few mistakes and lost one and almost the other.

The Raiders are one of those teams that can beat the Pats if they play less than their 'A game' depending on how they themselves play. Most teams don't usually play their 'A game'; their 'B or C game' is more common.

You pointed put one of their losses with Carr was a close game but failed to mention they were 8-0 with Carr in all other games decided by 7 points or less. That isn't sustainable. They outscored their opponents by a mere 31 points last year. Vegas has them at 9-10 wins. 13-3 at worst is ridiculous.

raiders are like the steelers. we won't have a problem with them since they have no defense. that's what i was getting at. and carr is coming off a a bad leg injury so he might not be back to 100% until 2018.

Last edited:
As another poster mentioned, Janakowski has a back issue that is causing him accuracy problems. From what I read yesterday, he looked miserable in practice. I don't think it has anything to do with the Raiders being stupid or spoiled.

Came into this thread for exactly this. This place never disappoints..

Um no. Last year they were about even. Over the last 4 years Ghost is clearly better.

Came into this thread for exactly this. This place never disappoints..

Some good kickers are available from Australia...

11246fd9737791d5a2dee3b8a1eed84a.gif

Raiders place K Sebastian Janikowski (back) on IR
The back issue has landed him on IR.
Wonder if he will be healthy for the Pats game ?

He also took a million pay cut. 3 million fully guaranteed now.
I wonder if he was healthy if he would have done that ?

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back