PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Marlon Mack, RB

I'm a big fan of Mack in the mid rounds. He had 500 receiving yards for his career, however, so I think he's just fine when it comes to pass catching. Nice writeup. :)

The real question is if you can find a RB with as high of a grade as blount in the cool nickname category

Great job midwestpat: I also think featured RB is a Major Need for our Pats like what Blount have done but he should be upgraded. Mack looks like a very good Prospect.

I looked at all the RB's and couldn't find Major Need....What college did he attend ?

Shades of Captain Munnerlyn :)

I believe they are all ranked lower than General Confusion tho :D

As a USF fan, I've watched this kid for the last 3 years and he is special. Saying he likes to bounce the ball outside is partially true. He has no problem running north/south. He wasn't used much in the passing game or pass blocking but that was because of our offense having so many weapons, and our QB is a dual threat so pass blocking wasn't needed much. He's not bad at it though, as his freshman year we had a pocket passer. His ball security issues generally came after long plays. For example, he breaks off a 40 yd run, doesn't score and they give it to him immediately after and he would sometimes fumble. He's no worse than Blount IMO. He is a vertical runner with pull away speed and every down home run ability. He's very patient runner behind the line as well.

Example of I formation with FB offset like we run. This was his first game as a freshman
Marlon Mack 60 yd TD run vs WCU

NSFW music. Watch on mute

Last edited:
Just to throw some stats out there, and keep in mind these are with the QB and backup RB accounting for 2,000 yards rushing and 26 rush TD's...Mack still managed to get nearly 1,200 yards rushing, 230 receiving and 15 TD's this past year. In his 3 year career he had over 3,600 yds rushing, 500 yds receiving and 33 TD's. He put up these numbers while splitting carries! Last season he averaged under 15 carries a game and missed 1 game due to a concussion and still put up damn good numbers. He's a guy you can ride all game and gets better in the second half. Easily a 20-25 carry guy.

Off topic and I know we don't need a WR that bad, but his teammate Rodney Adams is also a very good talent. Had 3,500 yds all purpose and 24 TD's in his 3 years with the team. He's insane at jet sweeps and screens which we LOVE to run. He reminds me a lot of Percy Harvin. He's 6'1 about 180lb. His speed is ideal for special teams, deep threat and misdirection plays. He does tend to get loose with the ball, and his drop rate is high, but I attribute most of that to our terrible QB accuracy.

Last edited:
Off topic and I know we don't need a WR that bad, but his teammate Rodney Adams is also a very good talent. Had 3,500 yds all purpose and 24 TD's in his 3 years with the team. He's insane at jet sweeps and screens which we LOVE to run. He reminds me a lot of Percy Harvin. He's 6'1 about 180lb. His speed is ideal for special teams, deep threat and misdirection plays. He does tend to get loose with the ball, and his drop rate is high, but I attribute most of that to our terrible QB accuracy.

@BaconGrundleCandy loves this guy. Good player.

Exciting explosion and speed. Don't want to be a buzzkill but 5 fumbles on 90 touches apparently. Worth bearing in mind.

Exciting explosion and speed. Don't want to be a buzzkill but 5 fumbles on 90 touches apparently. Worth bearing in mind.
Yes he certainly is loose with the ball. I don't recall how they all occurred and currently trying to watch old games to find out. IIRC it was with him fighting for extra yards and on screens that got blown up fast. One fumble lost on kick return. His issue can be corrected imo.

In regards to Mack's fumbles that were noted in the scouting report, 1 came off his concussion hit similar to Ridleys in the Baltimore game. Like I mentioned above, several of his fumbles came off long runs where they ran him immediately again with no breather. Two that i found fitting that example were a 65 yd run against ECU and a 40 yd run against UCONN. Not making an excuse for it, but I put some of that on the coach who could and should've rotated in a fresh guy.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back