PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Expect Pats to Keep Garoppolo Beyond 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they score on that drive anyways? correct me if I'm wrong...

I've gotten over it, but the thing that really bugged me for years was the "faceguarding" on Hobbs - talk about BS.
Only a field goal.

The team and Brady have options open. In any case, the team could keep both quarterbacks in 2018 and then make their decision. Having Brady retire (or leave) after 2018 would have minimal cap affects.

To state the obvious, it would be gross negligence for Belichick to simply presume that Brady will be able to be a top quarterback for the next five years.

Yeah, no one says "But that's Jimmy Garappolo".
exactly, Falcons down 28-3 were saying "yeah but that's Tom Brady over there".. and they were right!

Only a field goal.
Only Super Bowl 42 frustrates my memory more than that damn 2006 Colts AFCCG loss. Not even SB 46 makes me madder. (But that Damn Welker drop! ahh)

Only Super Bowl 42 frustrates my memory more than that damn 2006 Colts AFCCG loss. Not even SB 46 makes me madder. (But that Damn Welker drop! ahh)

Agree. The team wasn't wasn't even that good in SB46 - the defense was dreadful that year.

Agree. The team wasn't wasn't even that good in SB46 - the defense was dreadful.
Team was very good, and should have won the SUper Bowl. If you are going to say the 2011 Pats team were not any good you would have to say the same or worse for the 2001 team.

Pure speculations of course . but ok sum up of recent contextuals..

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe writes that there’s a “nagging thought” that Tom Brady doesn’t really expect to play until he’s 45 and is instead setting everyone up for a surprise retirement either next spring or the one after.

Volin says there’s plenty of evidence that this could, in fact, be the case.

The first of which is the simple fact that the Patriots elected to hold on to backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo when he’s entering a contract year and could have been traded for a big return this offseason. On Thursday, Adam Schefter mentioned that he expects the Patriots to figure out a way to keep Garoppolo beyond the 2017 season.

Volin points out that Brady and Garoppolo share the same agent, which means Garoppolo will have a good idea of what the Patriots’ plans are moving forward.

Other indications that Brady could be preparing to transition away from the NFL, according to Volin, are the fact that he’s ramped up his off-field branding this year and the talk from his wife and family that would like him around more.

(from NFL Trade Rumors)
This is from Ben Volin...

Team was very good, and should have won the SUper Bowl. If you are going to say the 2011 Pats team were not any good you would have to same the same or worse for the 2001 teams.

I'm sorry i can' agree. When you had julian edelman playing DB you know the D was glued together. I think bill's coaching helped a lot, but 2011 was easily the worst SB team of the BB era.

I know everyone blames Reche Caldwell's drop for 100% of that loss, but I don't think that's fair. Yeah, he should have caught it. But we scored 34 ****ing points that day.

There wasn't much money spent on the offense, but it's not like we had a ton of money left over gaining interest. Miguel's cap page from that year has us pretty low on cap space, and he mentions that according to other figures, we were around 76 cents below the cap.

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2006 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Very little money went towards the offense, but that money went towards a defense that gave up 32 points in the second half of that game. Caldwell could have dropped every pass in the second half and it shouldn't have mattered.

He's become our Bill Buckner, but like Bill, he didn't deserve even a quarter of the blame that he's gotten over the years. 34 points on the road should be enough. If the defense gives up 27 points or less in the second half, we go to the Super Bowl with that cheap piece of **** offense.

I agree for the most part but man did he have a bad day at work.

I'm sorry i can' agree. When you had julian edelman playing DB you know the D was glued together. I think bill's coaching helped a lot, but 2011 was easily the worst SB team of the BB era.
Troy Brown played DB in 2004.

2001 far weaker team

Didn't they score on that drive anyways? correct me if I'm wrong...

I've gotten over it, but the thing that really bugged me for years was the "faceguarding" on Hobbs - talk about BS.

You're thinking about Caldwell's first wide open in the end zone drop. The Pats scored a TD on the next play. His second wide open drop was while on the Colts 19 and that drive resulted in a field goal. He was mugged in the end zone and it should have been a PI.

2001 far weaker team
Maybe the defensive line
But Linebackers were very good
Mcginest
Bruschi
Phifer
Vrabel
Cox
Secondary
Law Milloy
And Otis Smith played out of his mind.
Offense Baby Brady
Brown
Patten
Glenn for a little
Ruteledge
Smith
Compton
It wasnt a terrible team
Plus we had Adam V

Maybe the defensive line
Mcginest
Bruschi
Phifer
Vrabel
Cox
Secondary
Law Milloy
Offense Baby Brady
Brown
Patten
Glenn for a little
Ruteledge
Smith
Compton
It wasnt a terrible team
Plus we had Adam V

I think the 2001 D was better giving up 272 points. The 2011 D gave up 342 points.

Maybe the defensive line
Mcginest
Bruschi
Phifer
Vrabel
Cox
Secondary
Law Milloy
Offense Baby Brady
Brown
Patten
Glenn for a little
Ruteledge
Smith
Compton
It wasnt a terrible team
Plus we had Adam V
2011 Pats had "God" Brady, and a "God" offense. And the defense was more middle of the road than people seem to remember.

2001 team had a mostly anemic offense.. and middle of the pack ranked bend but don't break defense (you know the kind of D everyone in our forum ****s on all week and game long until they discover they are the number 1 scoring defense)

2011> 2001 easily

The point is brown spent time learning the pats D before the season started - edelman was just thrown in there. And brown was just flat out better than edelman at CB.
2011 team > 2001 team by huge huge margin.

I'll ask you the same question that I've posed before: Do you honestly think that Brady is the kind of guy that's going to announce his retirement to the press before it happens?

If not, then there's really no reason to take him seriously on the matter.

No I agree it would be unusual for him to pre-announce. Brady is a quiet, private person.
We DO have recent, repeated statements that he believes he can play to 45 and that he believes he's in top NFL condition.

You are claiming he's issuing deliberate misinformation.

Brady's history it to be mum on controversial topics, NOT to issue continuous disinformation later refuted.

You folks can't restrain yourselves envisioning a soon departure of a guy who can still throw, lasts a season without debilitating injuries and most of all asserts correctly that at this stage of his career he understands completely what the opposing defense is trying to do and knowns ways to counter it. I can't envision us being better off say in 2018 with a guy who has minimal NFL game experience.

FWIW I'm strongly skeptical about him playing at 45. 3 more seasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back