PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schedule & Playoffs

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Now that the NYFL teams are starting to show their strengths and weaknesses, I thought it would be a good time to delve into the topic of the unbalanced schedule and new playoff format.

As it stands now, the team who gets the top seed and the only bye will probably get there due to a much easier schedule. At least in the past there'd be two playoff byes and the impact wouldn't be as great.

Since the NFCE has shown itself to be even weaker than they were last year, the advantage will most likely go to the AFCN, both for the top seed and the extra playoff spot. If not for the fact that the Falcons are uncoached on the onside kick, the only win the NFCE would have would be the Washington Woefuls victory over Philthy last week.

I know that the rankings aren't perfect, but they at least give us some idea of the strength of the teams. And if you added up the total team rankings, the NFCE is at 82 and the NFCW, the division the Pats play, is less than half at 36. And the NFCE number will probably go up after their poor showing this week.

While Baltimore gets the Browns, Bengals and over-rated Pitt twice each, plus Dallas, NYG, Philly and Washington, the Pats get the Bills, Fins and Jete twice each, plus Arizona, LA Rams, San Fran and Seattle. That's a major difference.

Instead of making things better, Goody & the 32 are making things worse.

Now that the NYFL teams are starting to show their strengths and weaknesses, I thought it would be a good time to delve into the topic of the unbalanced schedule and new playoff format.

As it stands now, the team who gets the top seed and the only bye will probably get there due to a much easier schedule. At least in the past there'd be two playoff byes and the impact wouldn't be as great.

Since the NFCE has shown itself to be even weaker than they were last year, the advantage will most likely go to the AFCN, both for the top seed and the extra playoff spot. If not for the fact that the Falcons are uncoached on the onside kick, the only win the NFCE would have would be the Washington Woefuls victory over Philthy last week.

I know that the rankings aren't perfect, but they at least give us some idea of the strength of the teams. And if you added up the total team rankings, the NFCE is at 82 and the NFCW, the division the Pats play, is less than half at 36. And the NFCE number will probably go up after their poor showing this week.

While Baltimore gets the Browns, Bengals and over-rated Pitt twice each, plus Dallas, NYG, Philly and Washington, the Pats get the Bills, Fins and Jete twice each, plus Arizona, LA Rams, San Fran and Seattle. That's a major difference.

When hasn’t Goody made things worse?

This year I'm fine with it. Lets get the NFC West out of the way in a transition year, we wouldn't have a shot at the first seed anyway.

Yes, when they created the scheduling formula 20 years ago (under Tagliabue), they certainly did so with the plan to help the Ravens and screw the Patriots over in 2020. Amazing how all the pieces fit so perfectly!

Pity parties are so sad

Just the way it goes. Pats played the NFC East last year and that helped make them look better than they actually were.

Patriots also benefit from playing in the AFC Least every year - win the division and get the playoff home game that comes with it.

Yes, when they created the scheduling formula 20 years ago (under Tagliabue), they certainly did so with the plan to help the Ravens and screw the Patriots over in 2020. Amazing how all the pieces fit so perfectly!

Don't be a dope. This imbalance has been around since the beginning of the idiotic 4 team division setup. You might remember the Pats losing out in 2008 to a 8-8 SD team, or the Panthers getting in with a 7-8-1 record over a 10-6 Philly team that crushed them during the season. That's the point. It just happens that this year one of the divisions (the NFCE) is so weak that it will definitely show up for the playoffs.

Pity parties are so sad

The pity party will be in the NFCW this year when a 7-9 East team gets in while a 10-6 West team doesn't, especially considering that almost half of the teams will make the playoffs.

Jim-Mora-Playoffs.jpg

Before we start talking about bye weeks, lets worry about beating OAKLAND (i'm not calling them Las Vegas) and staying over .500

The team with the bye has no additional advantage. They still need to win two home games just like before. A theoretical matchup against the #2 seed (who now had to play one extra game to get there) may have some miniscule advantage but not really. Often times you already have a team in the conference finals that played wild card weekend.

The #2 seed is the only team that gets screwed here, and this just further prevents dynasties from happening. These were all #2 seeds.

1979 Steelers
1988 49ers
1992 Cowboys
2001 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2018 Patriots

This just randomizes champions further by making it less likely that one of the top two conference teams will win it all. Look at what baseball has done to destroy itself by implementing an absurd postseason system whereby it’s almost impossible to build a dynasty. Football is halfway there...also it hurts the chances of seeing great rivalries in Conference Championship games.

Don't be a dope. This imbalance has been around since the beginning of the idiotic 4 team division setup.
The current regular season setup is perfect. Of course, they are going to ruin their perfect setup when they add a 17th game (and I don't like the expanded playoffs) but the way things are right now is the way they should be.

If you want the divisions to be larger then you would have to drop the rule that each team plays their divisional opponents twice a season. And that would be idiotic. Even more idiotic would be to not allow division winners in the playoffs if a different team has a better record.
You might remember the Pats losing out in 2008 to a 8-8 SD team, or the Panthers getting in with a 7-8-1 record over a 10-6 Philly team that crushed them during the season. That's the point. It just happens that this year one of the divisions (the NFCE) is so weak that it will definitely show up for the playoffs.
I have no problem with a team being rewarded for winning their division, even if they get in over another team with a worse record. That's what the playoffs are for; the cream will rise to the top.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jah
Before we start talking about bye weeks, lets worry about beating OAKLAND (i'm not calling them Las Vegas) and staying over .500

I like calling the Raiduhs Las Vegas because the Oakland fans probably hate it.

I hope the name change doesn't affect the 25 year curse I put on them in 2001.

The current regular season setup is perfect. Of course, they are going to ruin their perfect setup when they add a 17th game (and I don't like the expanded playoffs) but the way things are right now is the way they should be.

If you want the divisions to be larger then you would have to drop the rule that each team plays their divisional opponents twice a season. And that would be idiotic. Even more idiotic would be to not allow division winners in the playoffs if a different team has a better record.

I have no problem with a team being rewarded for winning their division, even if they get in over another team with a worse record. That's what the playoffs are for; the cream will rise to the top.

There's no cream in the NFCE, only sour milk. There's no way that any team should get a "title" just because they had a better record than 3 other teams out of 15. PUH-LEASE.

Another thing this idiotic 4-team division setup does is make it pretty clear who'll be in the playoffs, and we've only finished 3 weeks. Let me throw one together.

Projected Playoffs
1 - KC/GB
2 - Bal/Sea
3 - Ten/NO
4 - NE/Dal
5 - Pitt/LAR
6 - Buf/TB
7 - Ind/Chi
Out
Cle/SF
LV/Ari

Those predictions will probably end up being close. We'll see.

With two 8-team divisions the cream is much more likely to be in the playoffs if you went by each team's record, which is the true value of a team. It's totally unfair to teams or fans of teams that outperformed some team that got in because it had no competition as well as a piss poor record.

There's no cream in the NFCE, only sour milk. There's no way that any team should get a "title" just because they had a better record than 3 other teams out of 15. PUH-LEASE.
You should get a reward for winning your division. If you don't like it, too bad. If you think that's unfair, shut up and win your division. If the NFCE winner is as bad as you say, they'll have an early exit so I just don't see a problem.
With two 8-team divisions the cream is much more likely to be in the playoffs if you went by each team's record, which is the true value of a team.
Horrible idea. For about 90 years since the NFL formed divisions, every team has played their divisional opponents twice per season. It reduces travel and it promotes rivalries. And you want to completely do away with that? Gimme a break.
It's totally unfair to teams or fans of teams that outperformed some team that got in because it had no competition as well as a piss poor record.
Wah wah wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh....

Any team that thinks it is unfair should stop whining and win their division. And if you can't do that then all they need to do is have one of the 3 best records of teams that didn't win their division. And if you can't do that then STFU and enjoy the early offseason.

You should get a reward for winning your division. If you don't like it, too bad. If you think that's unfair, shut up and win your division. If the NFCE winner is as bad as you say, they'll have an early exit so I just don't see a problem.
Horrible idea. For about 90 years since the NFL formed divisions, every team has played their divisional opponents twice per season. It reduces travel and it promotes rivalries. And you want to completely do away with that? Gimme a break.
Wah wah wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh....

Any team that thinks it is unfair should stop whining and win their division. And if you can't do that then all they need to do is have one of the 3 best records of teams that didn't win their division. And if you can't do that then STFU and enjoy the early offseason.

You would definitely have a problem if you were a Cards, 9ers or Seahawks fan and didn't get a playoff game because your 10-6 record, with wins against all of the NFCE teams, lost out to one of those 6-10 teams, which is a real possibility. Denying that you wouldn't like that is bs.

For about 70 of the 90 years you're talking about, there were less teams and no inter-conference games. That meant that the teams were playing a more balanced schedule and the records were more meaningful. I don't remember the real stupid results until they went to four 4-team divisions.

That's my last word on this with you.

You would definitely have a problem if you were a Cards, 9ers or Seahawks fan and didn't get a playoff game because your 10-6 record, with wins against all of the NFCE teams, lost out to one of those 6-10 teams, which is a real possibility. Denying that you wouldn't like that is bs.
No, I really wouldn't. I would say the same thing I said in 2008: "Well, it sucks we didn't make the playoffs but we really weren't good enough to win it all so I won't lose much sleep over that one lost game."

BTW, you're inventing a situation which has never happened. Get back to me when a 6-10 team makes the playoffs or STFU. In 20 years of the current format, we have had one single 7-9 team plus a 7-8-1 team win their divisions. It is stupid to completely overhaul a system over something which happens once per decade.

Also, while technically possible, it is even less and less likely that a 10-6 team misses the playoffs these days. IIRC, in the past 20 years, only 1 single 10-6 team would have missed the playoffs if we applied the current (new) format.
For about 70 of the 90 years you're talking about, there were less teams and no inter-conference games. That meant that the teams were playing a more balanced schedule and the records were more meaningful. I don't remember the real stupid results until they went to four 4-team divisions.

That's my last word on this with you.
Then let me close with this: Your little nightmare scenario combines something that has never happened (a 6-10 team winning the division) with something that has only happened once in 20 years (a 10-6 team not being good enough to make the playoffs under the new format). And you want to overhaul the schedule for that? All your solutions create far, far worse problems. 8 team divisions? LOL!! Gimme a break.

Last edited:
Out of Division Records, through Week 3

8-2 NFC West (wins vs Pats, Jets, Atl, Dal, Dal, Phi, Wash, NYG)
5-2-1 AFC North (Pitt is 3-0 w/wins vs NYG, Den & Hous)
4-2 NFC North (Bears w/wins vs Giants, Falcons)
3-3 AFC East (could be better if not for Jets being 0-2 out of AFCE)
4-4 AFC West (KC & LV are 4-1 outside the division)
4-4 AFC South (Texans are 0-3 vs other AFC divisions)
2-6 NFC South (Falcons 0-3 vs other NFC divisions)
1-8-1 NFC East (pathetic; should be 0-9-1 if not for Atlanta's brain lock vs Dallas)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back