PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scenario: A surprise trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know why the Pats would trade Cooks. They've got a 1,000-yard receiver on the cheap for this year, and will get a 3rd if he leaves in FA next year. And he says he loves being here. They'd have to get an awful lot to make that deal worth it, imo.

Don't know why the Pats would trade Cooks. They've got a 1,000-yard receiver on the cheap for this year, and will get a 3rd if he leaves in FA next year. And he says he loves being here. They'd have to get an awful lot to make that deal worth it, imo.
Would you do it for a second and 4th?

Just heard on Felger and Mazz a rumor about Cooks to the Bears for a 2018 2nd round pick. I honestly hope they do move him. He just can’t run routes very well. I can’t believe he got a 1,000 yards last season.

Idk if I would like that trade. Bears have the 39th pick. Cooks was starting to get dialed in with brady.

I'd like that trade...But, then I hated trading for Cooks in the first place. There were some genuine FootBall Players available later in the Draft that I mocked to us...Guys who wouldn't've wimped out like Cooks did in the Super Bowl when it was crystal clear on that play inside the 10, even to me, that he had a chance to cut inside and get that first down...but he went for the operatic leap because he wanted to be on Sports Center. If he hadn't been such a wimpy Prima Donna, eyeballing that Sport Center blurb, we would've had 7 more points. #JustSayin :mad:

I’d be disappointed. I’ve already explained my rationale for not trading Cooks, but only getting a second isn’t good enough. Not for me at least. 1 more season of production from Cooks and then receiving the 3rd rd comp pick is far more valuable to us than a 2nd rd pick on an unknown commodity.

You raise a good point, one that I'll be examining closely when I crank out my Mock OffSeason.

How much is Cooks worth on the Trade Market?

Me, I'd trade'm for a bag'f spuds.

And I don't even like spuds.

You guys are missing the point on Cooks. Whether you like him, I do, or not he's got a ton of money coming this year, moving him would create much needed cap space that can go into other areas of need. If he restructures, great, but if not they have to seriously be thinking of trading him.

You guys are missing the point on Cooks. Whether you like him, I do, or not he's got a ton of money coming this year, moving him would create much needed cap space that can go into other areas of need. If he restructures, great, but if not they have to seriously be thinking of trading him.
But that’s the thing: he’s not really costing that much money, so there wouldn’t be a ton of cap space that would be freed up. He’s in the fifth yr option of his rookie deal. I’m not sure what you mean by “restructuring?” I assume you mean signing a long term extension one year early.

When you compare Cooks’ stats to those of someone like Mike Evans and see how comparable they are for only half the money, I’m not sure how it would benefit the team to move him? This rings true even more if you consider the fact that Cooks should improve with another full offseason of work with Brady, and the harsh reality that we may not have Rob Gronkowski.

If he leaves in free agency next spring, fine, we’ll get a 3rd round comp pick. With the window for Brady closing in the next couple/few years, I just don’t see how it benefits moving a 1,000 yard receiver on a reasonable salary when we just parted with a first round pick to get him—unless, of course, someone else offers a first rounder.

That’s not to say that he doesn’t have weaknesses in his game or that I don’t share the same opinion that OTG does in terms of him making stupid decisions in the biggest game of the season, but we already parted with a first for him. We may as well take advantage of a deep threat for reasonable cash, at least for one more year until he hits FA.

While Cooks' role in the 2017 offense was limited, it's way premature to conclude that it will continue to be in 2018.

Meanwhile, Cook's still managed to produce a 1,000-yard+/7 TD season in his first year working with Brady (a real rarity for a WR). Even so, 2017 was a "down" year for Cooks. And yet, in spite of that, his 2015-2017 production averages are greater than those of Evans:

EVANS
... 71r/yr .. 1,176yd/yr .. 6.7 TDs/yr .. 52.7% .. 14.1 ypc

COOKS
... 76r/yr .. 1,131yd/yr .. 8.0 TDs/yr .. 63.0% .. 14.9 ypc

Evans new $16.5M APY is nearly twice what Cooks' cap hit will be with the Pats for 2018 ($8.6M).

Yes, that $8.6M seems like a lot in the context of the Pats' cap space shortage for 2018. But the Pats also have over $60M in 2019 cap space, and can afford to push some money forward. Cooks' 2018 cap hit could be reduced by as much as 50%, if the Pats can sign him to a long term contract now. Also, if the Pats can get Cooks to sign a long term contract now - before he potentially posts a fourth consecutive 1,000 season - they might be able to lock him up for his prime years for significantly less than what Evans just got. Cooks might be foolish to do so, but that's in his hands.

Cooks is also one of only three Pats WRs under contract who's under the age of 30. The other two are Mitchell (significantly health concerns) and Dorsett (uncertain developmental potential). Shedding Cooks now not only takes a major weapon out of Brady's hands for the 2018 season, it also pre-emptively closes off a path toward transitioning the Pats WR corps to a younger average age while maintaining high productivity (and, yes, the Patriots will continue to exist after Brady finally hangs it up, so that future is worthy of our consideration).

My fearless predictions:

1. Gronk plays 2 more years.... for the Patriots.

2. Cooks plays here for 1 more year... unless someone offers a 1st prior to the draft.

3. Maybe I am just projecting my own confusion over the play, but I can't imagine Belichick reviewing the Superbowl tape, and seeing Cook's attempted hurdle in the red zone as a positive.
I may be remembering this play incorrectly, as well, in shocking news - I was very intoxicated during the game, and, refuse to watch it again.

Maybe I am just projecting my own confusion over the play, but I can't imagine Belichick reviewing the Superbowl tape, and seeing Cook's attempted hurdle in the red zone as a positive.
I may be remembering this play incorrectly, as well, in shocking news - I was very intoxicated during the game, and, refuse to watch it again.

You ain't wrong.

Would you do it for a second and 4th?

I don't think anyone would offer that for a one-year, 8 million rental. And is it a 30-something pick or a 60-something pick.

I'd trade almost ANYONE if the price was right. But no, I'm not interested in giving away a 1000-yard receiver who can take the top off a defense on any play and force safety help, particularly when every other receiver on the team, other than Dorsett, operates best underneath.

Cooks' value to the Pats goes way beyond his catches - you simply can't have one guy running with him 30 yards downfield.

I say this as someone who really like Dorsett and thinks he can break out. I wouldn't risk a season on that prediction, however, and Cooks is certainly giving the Patriots something valuable.

"Grass is greener" is an NFL fan folly.

I really love Gronk, but I will entertain a trade with Watts or Clowney.

Just heard on Felger and Mazz a rumor about Cooks to the Bears for a 2018 2nd round pick. I honestly hope they do move him. He just can’t run routes very well. I can’t believe he got a 1,000 yards last season.
Or the two seasons before that? I mean, 3 straight 1000+ yard seasons before you're 25 is a total bust, amirite?

I really love Gronk, but I will entertain a trade with Watts or Clowney.

This post reminds me of the time I was riding my motorcycle through southwestern Maine and saw a rusting single wide mobile home with a shiny newish Corvette parked in the mudway.

I'll bet he believed his cap was crap too. Haha

What about a trade for a young CB such as the following?

-CB Ronald Darby (Eagles)
-CB Eli Apple (Giants)
-CB Trae Waynes (Vikings)
-CB Vernon Hargreaves (Bucs)

What about a trade for a young CB such as the following?

-CB Ronald Darby (Eagles)
-CB Eli Apple (Giants)
-CB Trae Waynes (Vikings)
-CB Vernon Hargreaves (Bucs)

BB has two major holes to fill. Left tackle and corner. Both openings caused by free agency.

Of the two, I think bb would most likely trade for a young corner buried on someone’s bench because he is a pure press man corner and teams are asking him to play cover 2,3 or 6.

The minor holes at running back, de and lb, I think bb fills via the draft or free agency.

BB has two major holes to fill. Left tackle and corner. Both openings caused by free agency.

Of the two, I think bb would most likely trade for a young corner buried on someone’s bench because he is a pure press man corner and teams are asking him to play cover 2,3 or 6.

The minor holes at running back, de and lb, I think bb fills via the draft or free agency.
Also, LB & DE/OLB. These positions are key as well.

But that’s the thing: he’s not really costing that much money, so there wouldn’t be a ton of cap space that would be freed up. He’s in the fifth yr option of his rookie deal. I’m not sure what you mean by “restructuring?” I assume you mean signing a long term extension one year early.

When you compare Cooks’ stats to those of someone like Mike Evans and see how comparable they are for only half the money, I’m not sure how it would benefit the team to move him? This rings true even more if you consider the fact that Cooks should improve with another full offseason of work with Brady, and the harsh reality that we may not have Rob Gronkowski.

If he leaves in free agency next spring, fine, we’ll get a 3rd round comp pick. With the window for Brady closing in the next couple/few years, I just don’t see how it benefits moving a 1,000 yard receiver on a reasonable salary when we just parted with a first round pick to get him—unless, of course, someone else offers a first rounder.

That’s not to say that he doesn’t have weaknesses in his game or that I don’t share the same opinion that OTG does in terms of him making stupid decisions in the biggest game of the season, but we already parted with a first for him. We may as well take advantage of a deep threat for reasonable cash, at least for one more year until he hits FA.
My bad, I thought his cap hit was much bigger next year, of course I get my info from sports talk radio so I should know better and look it up myself. I want to keep him and even sign him beyond this year so I'm on the keep Cooks side. Just thinking of ways BB is going to create some cap space.

From the oustside looking in teams are going to look at all the negatives

-injury prone
-talking retirement

And he’ll never get a first rounder. Best is a high second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes