PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel: The Pats 'don't care' about players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Vinatieri wanted to be paid like 3 million a year at the time he was released. And his kicking had been going down. You'll note that he's missed significant amounts of time since getting to Indy.

People like yourself throw out this garbage and offer nothing to support it. Your claim that "BB refuses to upgrade the cooridinator position" doesn't fly because it's well known he wanted to bring Weis back. And there have been reports that he'd talked to RAC about returning as well.

What makes you think that the "team concept" in long gone? Any proof at all?

I have news for you. The Pats spend to the cap every year. And Kraft has no say in it. One of the things that Kraft agreed to when BB took over was a hands off approach. Bledsoe used to bend Kraft's ear when Carroll was the coach. And it underminded Carroll. Bledsoe was doing it, to a lesser extent, in 1996. And it's one of the things that BB asked Kraft to not get involved in. And Kraft agreed. It was one of the things that got Bledsoe (and Ron Borges) upset with BB.

BTW, since you haven't been keeping up with the league this year, there stands to be NO CAP next year.

FYI belichick got to Weis and Romeo way too late for anything to materialize. if he really wanted them, he would have contacted them much earlier. KC jumped at them and that's why they are there.

and you are confusing how a team treats a player and how they pay him. i realize that AV wanted a lot of money, but it's the way they treated him in his final year that I heard was wrong. it's just a rumor but other players like Samuel, Seymour and Wilfork are confirming that the pats operate like this. they treat a number of their players like commodoties. wilfork for example has given everything to this team despite being grossly underpaid. yet the pats have refused to extend his contract or even negotiate with the guy. this is not the behavior i would expect from a top team like the patriots. kraft cares about his team's image? he better let belichick know.

Last edited:
It's not that the Pats "don't care" about players, they just don't care about players that only give a rip about themselves.

Remember after SB 39 when some people were calling for Belichick's name to be added to the Lombardi Trophy? In times like this Belichick really does remind me of Lombardi. He had even less tolerance for this type of thing then Belichick does.

And why is AS still whining about this after two years anyway? Like some others have mentioned, I think it's more than a little bit of sour grapes. He has to convince himself he's better off since leaving NE, so he keeps saying stuff like this.

asante needs to stfu and worry about his own team and why they don't care about and won't pay team leaders like dawkins and buckhalter.

i can't help but notice asante's been sitting home watching the superbowl ever since he left.

Is your point that the patriots might have played in and won more Super Bowls had we decided to pay Samuel's demands to stay here?

asante needs to (Please be quiet - edited) and worry about his own team and why they don't care about and won't pay team leaders like dawkins and buckhalter.

i can't help but notice asante's been sitting home watching the superbowl ever since he left.

A few things:

1.) Every team likes/love their players only as long as they produce and their value is worth their salary. The second the team they feel they aren't, many teams dump the player. In 2008, Joey Porter's attitude and refusal to be taken out on plays was just a case of "Joey being Joey" since he led the league in sacks. In 2009, his same attitude was a detriment to the team and hindering the progress of the young guys behind him since Porter wasn't producing. When the Pats played the Dolphins in 2008 and Porter committed a fragrant unsportsman-like conduct penalty, the cameras caught Sporano telling him to come the the sidelines and Porter waved him off. Sporano laughed it off after the game. This year he was suspended for less.

2.) It is kinda ironic that Samuel would talk about the Pats not liking their players and refusing to pay them when he plays for the Eagles. That is the same team that has been trying to dump Donovan McNabb for years and they can't because everytime they make a move to replace him, he plays too good for the fans to buy into cutting or trading him. They have drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round and signed Michael Vick. McNabb has had to fight for a new contract and the team has left him hanging in the wind in previous years on whether he would be back. No Pro Bowl caliber QB has been treated worse by his team than McNabb has been by the Eagles that I can remember.

They are also a team that is notorious for approaching young players with two to three years left on their contract and offer them a new deal which ends up being well below their market value, but a significant raise from their rookie deals. When the players wake up to it a few years later, they bury the player on the depth chart (see Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown).

Last edited:
It's a business.

The Pats care about players that are in their valued price range.

Had Asante come in requesting a salary that fit the Pats value of him, then he'd still be a Patriot.

Whether you agree with it or not, that seems to be the way the Pats operate.

Last edited:
Is your point that the patriots might have played in and won more Super Bowls had we decided to pay Samuel's demands to stay here?

no, that's not my point. my point would be, what the hell has asante done since he left that we need to pay attention to what he thinks ?

It doesn't matter to me. They're commodities and as long as we get value for the commodities it's all good. Letting valuable commodities leave for nothing, that we can't do.

Should have closed this topic after this post.

FYI belichick got to Weis and Romeo way too late for anything to materialize. if he really wanted them, he would have contacted them much earlier. KC jumped at them and that's why they are there.

And you know this HOW? You don't. All we have are the 2nd and 3rd hand reports.

and you are confusing how a team treats a player and how they pay him.

No, I'm not confusing how a team treats players and how they pay them. YOU might be doing that, but I'm not.

i realize that AV wanted a lot of money, but it's the way they treated him in his final year that I heard was wrong. it's just a rumor but other players like Samuel, Seymour and Wilfork are confirming that the pats operate like this. they treat a number of their players like commodoties. wilfork for example has given everything to this team despite being grossly underpaid. yet the pats have refused to extend his contract or even negotiate with the guy. this is not the behavior i would expect from a top team like the patriots. kraft cares about his team's image? he better let belichick know.

And how did the Pats treat Vinatieri in his final year with the Pats?

As for your assumption, no, they aren't confirming that the Pats operate like that. This is what YOU don't understand. You are the one confusing how they get paid with how they are treated. Samuel is b!tching because the Pats didn't want to pay him what he wanted.

Where do you get your information? The Pats never refused to talk to Wilfork. And they sure as hell didn't "REFUSE" to extend him. They may have turned down the money he wanted for signing an extension, but that isn't refusing to extend him.

You are making a lot of assumptions based on only ONE side of the story. It makes you look foolish for doing so.l

A reporter (I can't rember who) saw the tattoo an either misread it or forgot the wording. Misquotes are common in the media. "Play it again Sam" was never uttered in Casablanca for example. Or Sally Fields never said "You like me, you really like me" when she accepted her Academy Award (she really said "I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!"). I will chock it it up to that.

I don't buy his story that he got the tattoo cause "he likes the song"..

Give me a break..The dude is all about money. Why else would he be running his mouth? I'm sure the Patriots offered him a fair deal TWO YEARS AGO, but he wanted elite money, so he moved on TWO YEARS AGO.

The idiot should just shut up.

I'm just wondering why the opinion of a player on another team, with an obvious axe to grind is terribly relevant.

Did the Globe reporter seek him out for an interview? I understand the part in the article about "the closest parallel", but this just seems like stirring the pot at the expense of the Pats, pure and simple.

I suppose if you interview a player that signed an extension you would get a different rsponse, no?

I love this board. Watching the homers line up to defend someone from the Patriots when they'd be sticking the knife in if it was happening to another team is always worth the read.

If this was a former Colts defensive player, people here would be all over Polian and company, screaming about how it was because the Colts only care about the offense and the complainer is absolutely correct.

Last edited:
And you know this HOW? You don't. All we have are the 2nd and 3rd hand reports.

No, I'm not confusing how a team treats players and how they pay them. YOU might be doing that, but I'm not.

And how did the Pats treat Vinatieri in his final year with the Pats?

As for your assumption, no, they aren't confirming that the Pats operate like that. This is what YOU don't understand. You are the one confusing how they get paid with how they are treated. Samuel is b!tching because the Pats didn't want to pay him what he wanted.

Where do you get your information? The Pats never refused to talk to Wilfork. And they sure as hell didn't "REFUSE" to extend him. They may have turned down the money he wanted for signing an extension, but that isn't refusing to extend him.

You are making a lot of assumptions based on only ONE side of the story. It makes you look foolish for doing so.l

as they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. there have been a number of stories, maybe secondhand and rumors, about how the pats treat their players badly. this isn't an isolated thing. and i'm positive wilfork isn't happy with the way things are going. he feels that the organization doesn't respect him and i can't blame him. the pats can't come to an agreement with a valuable player like wilfork over the last two years? the pats are telling him, "we will negotiate with you when we want to." they didn't even bother talking with him this past year. if wilfork signs with a florida team, the pats have only themselves to blame for being cheap.

as for AV, it was stuff I was hearing from inside the colts organization. it may be rumors, but it doesn't seem like an isolated case.

Last edited:
I have a short story. There's a guy I know with a roll of words tattooed down his spine listing words like courage, respect, truth, honesty etc. This guy is a piece of **** and treats people like crap. Not one of those values does he adhere too.

Maybe if NFL players stop whining with this mentality that "I gots to get paid" then the organizations wouldn't see them as short term commodities.

It's a two way street Asante.

Um. It's true. They really don't.

More often than not they let players that have done well for them walk instead of locking them up for a long term deal. Asante is just an example. Wouldn't it be great if we still had Asante?

And then look at Wilfork. He's a great player and one of the top NT in the game but he sounds frustrated with the Patriots lack of interest in signing him to a long term extension.

he is not lieing the pats don't pay there players. he should not open he's mouth he got he's pay day but he is right.

they only sign 30 something players cause they are cheap and hope they can get something out of them.

and any younger player they sign gets a one year prove it deal. and if they play good a nuff to get more then a 2 million doller contract. then they are pretty much gone.

samuel should not talk he has not been a pat for over two years now. but there is some truth to back up he's big mouth.
What are you talking about?
Choosing to spend ALL OF THE CAP in a different way than you would ((clearly you like paying huge money for name free agents who will be declining throughout the contract) does not mean you don't spend on players.

as they say, where there's smoke, there's fire. there have been a number of stories, maybe secondhand and rumors, about how the pats treat their players badly. this isn't an isolated thing. and i'm positive wilfork isn't happy with the way things are going. he feels that the organization doesn't respect him and i can't blame him. the pats can't come to an agreement with a valuable player like wilfork over the last two years? the pats are telling him, "we will negotiate with you when we want to." they didn't even bother talking with him this past year. if wilfork signs with a florida team, the pats have only themselves to blame for being cheap.

as for AV, it was stuff I was hearing from inside the colts organization. it may be rumors, but it doesn't seem like an isolated case.

Let me undestand this. There are 2 sides in any labor contract. Each side acts in whatever manner they feel best helps them 'win' in the negotiaitons. You are saying that the Patriots are treating Wilfork badly by not giving him a raise before his contract was up, letting him control negotiations or just giving him whatever he wants?
If the Patriots operated like you want we would be 2-14 with 30 old overpaid veterans surrounded by 23 undrafted free agents who cant play.
The success of the team is (in part) dependent upon negotiating good deals and getting players for the lowest possible cost, so that there is more money to spend on the other 52.
"Treating them right" by never having a player 'offended' by the value the team places on him is a sure path to a horrible franchise.

Let me undestand this. There are 2 sides in any labor contract. Each side acts in whatever manner they feel best helps them 'win' in the negotiaitons. You are saying that the Patriots are treating Wilfork badly by not giving him a raise before his contract was up, letting him control negotiations or just giving him whatever he wants?
If the Patriots operated like you want we would be 2-14 with 30 old overpaid veterans surrounded by 23 undrafted free agents who cant play.
The success of the team is (in part) dependent upon negotiating good deals and getting players for the lowest possible cost, so that there is more money to spend on the other 52.
"Treating them right" by never having a player 'offended' by the value the team places on him is a sure path to a horrible franchise.
AndyJohnson.. in the mind of the players, not treating them right is not paying them what they think they are worth.

He's actually pretty right.

He's actually pretty right.

What's funny is that Patriots fans used to brag about the Patriots doing precisely what Samuel is talking about, yet somehow the Patriots don't do it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back