PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel: The Pats 'don't care' about players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haynsworth received $48M of guaranteed money. You can say what you want about his agent. I suspect that Wilfork would be fine with a 4 year contract for over $48M guaranteed. I agree that this xcontract made his agent look good.

And what do you think Hampton will get? $7M a year?

And if Ngata's contract were up, how relevant is his $2M number except for his agent to convince everyone how he has overplayed his contract.

The contract is being negotiation in 2010. Wilfork will get the 2010 market for any long-term deal, or perhaps factor in the low first year amount that he would have to take as a franchisee.

How much does a top 3 NT make?

Albert Haynesworth is a DT, and the Skins used him as a DE in some 3-4 configurations. Definitely not a NT.

Casey Hampton
Haloti Ngata (5 year contract at $2 million a year)
Tommie Harris?
Pat Williams? (6.5 million a year)
Kevin Williams (6.5 million a year)
Kris Jenkins (just signed a contract last year for $6 million a year)

I'd say you need to come up with what you think Wilfork deserves before telling the Patriots what they should offer him. Should they offer him Tommie Harris or Haynesworth money (even though a lot of people seem to think those are contracts inflated to make the agents look good, and that there's no real beef there) or should he get Kris Jenkins, Marcus Stroud, Pat Williams money? Even considering he played for a 6th year at 1/2 the cost he would have otherwise if he had, say, Ngata's contract, then you can make up the 3 million he lost with the 6th year by tacking a million or less onto the 6 to 7 that Jenkins and Williams signed for.

Will that do it? That makes Wilfork right and doesn't have him complaining about his 6 year contract anymore.

We're talking 7.5 million to maybe 8 accounting for a cap rise next year.

Last edited:
Haynsworth received $48M of guaranteed money. You can say what you want about his agent. I suspect that Wilfork would be fine with a 4 year contract for over $48M guaranteed. I agree that this xcontract made his agent look good.

And what do you think Hampton will get? $7M a year?

And if Ngata's contract were up, how relevant is his $2M number except for his agent to convince everyone how he has overplayed his contract.

The contract is being negotiation in 2010. Wilfork will get the 2010 market for any long-term deal, or perhaps factor in the low first year amount that he would have to take as a franchisee.

I made no argument that Wilfork should be paid like Ngata or Hampton, or anyone...

My point on Ngata is that they got similar money for their first contract, but that Ngata's contract was for 5 years, whereas Wilfork's was for 6 years, so even if you bumped Vince the money he lost with his long contract, then it wouldn't really mean all that much, still less than a million a year more

AND presumably Vince was rewarded with a higher average salary than Ngata and more signing bonus, so you'd take that into account as well.

I was asking the poster to tell me what he thought Wilfork should get since he made the statement that Wilfork should get top 3 NT money.

Last edited:
Players often get their logic wrong - It's not that the Pats don't care about their players, they just don't care about players like YOU, Asante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back