PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sam Darnold to Panthers

The Vikings would be in a prime position with regards to taking Lance, too.
True. They can go with a two-year plan since Cousins’ contract expires after 2022. He’d enter the 2023 season at age 23 with two years of learning the Vikings offense.

Does vikings brass have the luxury of sitting someone for 2 years?

True. They can go with a two-year plan since Cousins’ contract expires after 2022. He’d enter the 2023 season at age 23 with two years of learning the Vikings offense.
Absolutely. And, should Lance beat out Cousins for 2022, it's a one year cap hit for a guy riding the pine/getting cut, or (a lot less likely) a trade. But the money will already have been accounted for, because its guaranteed money ($35m in salary, and additional $10m in cap hit).

Does vikings brass have the luxury of sitting someone for 2 years?
If they’re paying Trey Lance rookie money, while having $76 million in cap space committed to Kirk Cousins over that two year span, then they absolutely have that luxury. They can’t afford not to start Cousins until that contract runs out.

I would say the Falcons are doubtful (can't move on from Ryan for a year or two), Lions are doubtful (just traded for a QB), Panthers are maybe (is Darnold just a bridge?), and Broncos are maybe/probable depending on which QBs are still available (upgrade over Drew Lock).

Another thing to watch for is the teams right behind the Patriots potentially trading up. #19 Washington needs an upgrade over Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke, and #20 Chicago could attempt to move up if possible (Andy Dalton, Nick Foles).

I would say the Falcons are doubtful (can't move on from Ryan for a year or two), Lions are doubtful (just traded for a QB), Panthers are maybe (is Darnold just a bridge?), and Broncos are maybe/probable depending on which QBs are still available (upgrade over Drew Lock).

Another thing to watch for is the teams right behind the Patriots potentially trading up. #19 Washington needs an upgrade over Ryan Fitzpatrick and Taylor Heinicke, and #20 Chicago could attempt to move up if possible (Andy Dalton, Nick Foles).

I forgot about Washington. Add them to the list along with Denver, Chicago, New Orleans, and Minnesota as possibilities.

I forgot about Washington. Add them to the list along with Denver, Chicago, New Orleans, and Minnesota as possibilities.
That's the problem I foresee with the idea of passing on a QB in round one (with the idea of selecting a Tier 2 at #46). At that point it is possible seven or eight QBs could be off the board.

If someone else jumps the Pats...

Pats are in prime position to move up and grab a guy they want with so many teams now being set at the QB position.

And Jimmy G's value just took another hit. Patriots are in a good position.

Poor 49ers.. now they can possibly get a second or third for Jimmy.

Dumb Damn Darnit...poor sucker Jete fan...blabbing it up here the past three years and now shyt on for a 6th round pick...tried to warn you, JF79...but you just never listen

Dumb Damn Darnit...poor sucker Jete fan...blabbing it up here the past three years and now shyt on for a 6th round pick...tried to warn you, JF79...but you just never listen

Just wait in 3 years when they are drafting another top QB after ruining the #2 pick

Darnold....2nd pick in the draft 3 years ago...under control contractually...6th round pick.

Now what was that you'd give up for the most fragile QB in the NFL since Chad Pennington...the one who gets himself splashed in media outlets coast to coast sucking face with some plastic fantastic hideous atrocity?..the one who choked like a drunk at a spare rib all-u-can-eat buffet in the super bowl, throwinga game winner 15 yards over the head of his WIDE OPEN BY TEN YARDS WR???

What would you give up? a 2nd????????????????????? Go to the emergency room and get a shot of Thorazine...stat...you're trippin'

So are we completely ruling out Bridgewater as qb3 in our qb room? I don't think we should.......
Where is the "anybody but Cam" club when you need them?
Pats are in prime position to move up and grab a guy they want with so many teams now being set at the QB position.

And Jimmy G's value just took another hit. Patriots are in a good position.
Now, all we need is Bill to decide he needs to move on from Cam...

That's the problem I foresee with the idea of passing on a QB in round one (with the idea of selecting a Tier 2 at #46). At that point it is possible seven or eight QBs could be off the board.
If the Pats aren’t getting one of the top 5 QBs then they should punt the position in this draft and focus on the best prospects at other positions. Maybe use one of the late picks on a flier at QB (that Ian Book, Sam Ehlinger range) to see if he can at least compete for Stidham’s spot. I just wouldn’t be comfortable having the QB of the future label on anyone outside that top 5.

Darnold....2nd pick in the draft 3 years ago...under control contractually...6th round pick.

Now what was that you'd give up for the most fragile QB in the NFL since Chad Pennington...the one who gets himself splashed in media outlets coast to coast sucking face with some plastic fantastic hideous atrocity?..the one who choked like a drunk at a spare rib all-u-can-eat buffet in the super bowl, throwinga game winner 15 yards over the head of his WIDE OPEN BY TEN YARDS WR???

What would you give up? a 2nd????????????????????? Go to the emergency room and get a shot of Thorazine...stat...you're trippin'
,My first reaction when I read just how LITTLE the Jets got for the #3 pick in the entire draft just 3 years ago was how ridiculous the Niner's demands for JG's bloated contract and health issues really was, I mean even the 2nd and 4th in 2022 have only 3rd and 5th values for this year, Pretty good deal for the Panthers if you ask me.

Darnell was held in as high esteem back in 2018 as Wilson and Jones are now, maybe even higher. Plus he was considered much more "NFL ready" than Fields and Lance are now.

Prior to this move I had pretty much given up any chances the Pats would be looking at having a chance at any of the first 5 QB's being there at 15 and I was OK with that. MIlls, Monde and Trask all seem like good prospects at 46 or moving up to the early parts of the 3rd round In fact when I was thinking about moving up in the first it was to get Parsons, NOT a QB

So I'm not sure where this all leaves the Pats as far as the QB position goes, But it DOES do the following

It shows just how weak the JG market really is,

AND a good case could be made for the chances of of one of the top 5 QB's being there at 15. Maybe not a 50-50 chance, but a lot higher than one would have thought yesterday,

BTW- just remember the next time we try and rate draft moves before the first 3 years go by. There was a time when Sam Darnell was considered a can't miss prospect AND Josh Allen was considered a huge mistake. :eek:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back