PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sam Darnold to Panthers

Guaranteed for injury. He still can get cut relatively easily if he sucks and makes it through the season uninjured.
I thought the 5th year option under the 2020 CBA meant that both the 4th and 5th year salary became fully guaranteed, like a Franchise Tag.

If you pick up the 5th year option, you can cut a guy in year 4 and not get hit with the bill? Where did you see this?

I thought the 5th year option under the 2020 CBA meant that both the 4th and 5th year salary became fully guaranteed, like a Franchise Tag.

If you pick up the 5th year option, you can cut a guy in year 4 and not get hit with the bill? Where did you see this?
Heard it on an NFL.COM podcast in a discussion of the Darnold situation.

I'm not a CBA lawyer, it could very well be a false statement.

Darnold to Carolina is the best result the Pats could've had. Carolina was the only sure bet to take a QB after #3, and now they're out. Detroit won't, and Denver is 50-50 but I think they give Lock more time. There are so many other great non-QB's in the top 15 that it'll be too hard for these teams to pick QB when they don't really need one.
People around here keep looking at these QBs in the wrong way. It's not about getting one of the five. It's about having 5 prospects which a team might feel is worth their draft capital. If all 5 QBs fell to 15, but Belichick didn't like any of them, the Patriots wouldn't be drafting a QB at 15. Conversely, if any team (let's say Washington at 19 for our example) sees a QB they really like starting to fall, they're likely to be very tempted to trade up in order to get ahead of the Broncos/Patriots/Eagles/Lions/Vikings, who are all teams that have real reason to at least be thinking about taking a QB.

And the notion that teams like the Broncos won't grab a guy that they love because of how they've recently drafted at the position, if that guy is available, is less likely to hold up than ever before. The Rosen/Murray decision has broken that dam. The Jets just showed that was not a one-off.

This, and be careful about kissing teenaged girls...

IMO it has been a remarkable twist.

Apparently CAR is not as into Teddy as we thought, and are willing to go into the season with Darnit at QB.

I wonder if this is all based on their in house variant of analytics?

Certainly Darnold's on-field play doesn't support this.

Yet they seem to be betting it all on a Tannehill-like reversal of fortunes?

Guaranteed for injury. He still can get cut relatively easily if he sucks and makes it through the season uninjured.
Not sure. At least Tanny had some success in MIA which didn't make his performance in TN all that surprising.

And the notion that teams like the Broncos won't grab a guy that they love because of how they've recently drafted at the position, if that guy is available,

This is the big unknown for me, because I can't see anything in Drew Lock that tells me he's a guy you HAVE to ride out. They might be hopeful he improves, but "We can't draft this kid we think is a franchise altering talent (hypothetically) because we have Drew Lock"? There's a disconnect there I'm not seeing.

Similar to a lesser extent with the Lions. It's possible they like Jared Goff, or feel the need to give him at least one year to show what he's got after the trade. But if the biggest impetus for them to trade for him was to make the trade more palatable for the Rams and get the extra picks from them, they're not going to pass on a great QB prospect either.

A lot could fall right for the Patriots on draft day, but there are more teams looking (or at least willing) to draft a QB in round 1 than people think.

This is the big unknown for me, because I can't see anything in Drew Lock that tells me he's a guy you HAVE to ride out. They might be hopeful he improves, but "We can't draft this kid we think is a franchise altering talent (hypothetically) because we have Drew Lock"? There's a disconnect there I'm not seeing.

Honestly, if I'm Vic Fangio, I'm probably hoping my GM drafts a QB. Because, if I'm Vic Fangio, my job is on the line this year, and the only thing keeping me off the firing line is significant improvement/hope, either with the team as a whole or at least at the QB spot because of a promising rookie.

Honestly, if I'm Vic Fangio, I'm probably hoping my GM drafts a QB. Because, if I'm Vic Fangio, my job is on the line this year, and the only thing keeping me off the firing line is significant improvement/hope, either with the team as a whole or at least at the QB spot because of a promising rookie.

Yeah, after getting a legit veteran who can manage a game while Vic's defense (which is decent) does there thing, I think rookie QB that can show improvement as the year goes on is his best avenue to being the Broncos coach in 2022.

View attachment 31943
One of the top 5 should fall to NE, but sitting at 15 risks being leapfrogged by the WFT or Bears, so I could see a move up to 11 or 12.

If JG frees up for less than a 1st, that's attractive cause we're competitive right away and we can use the 1st on another position.
how does Jimmy G being in our whirlpool helps?

Heard it on an NFL.COM podcast in a discussion of the Darnold situation.

I'm not a CBA lawyer, it could very well be a false statement.
Here is the CBA: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

Article 7, Section 7, item (g)(v.) on page 41 says the 5th year option is guaranteed for skill, injury, and salary-cap related termination the moment it’s exercised, and that once exercised, 4th year salaries also become guaranteed in the same manner if they aren’t already. Means Darnold gets paid if he sucks; if he doesn’t follow behavior clauses they can withhold.

Here is the CBA: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

Article 7, Section 7, item (g)(v.) on page 41 says the 5th year option is guaranteed for skill, injury, and salary-cap related termination the moment it’s exercised, and that once exercised, 4th year salaries also become guaranteed in the same manner if they aren’t already. Means Darnold gets paid if he sucks; if he doesn’t follow behavior clauses they can withhold.
Thanks. I think the NFL.COM host is thinking of how things worked in the earlier CBA.

Guess this show CAR is even more committed to Darnit than I thought they were.

I saw some comps and basically this is akin to going all in with Blake Bortles.

Maybe dumping Teddy's salary this year and going with Darnit is a taking move?

Someone was saying Darnold's year is the last year covered by the old CBA, the new rules aren't being applied retroactively to players signed under the old CBA. Again, not sure if this is the truth, you may know better...

View attachment 31943
One of the top 5 should fall to NE, but sitting at 15 risks being leapfrogged by the WFT or Bears, so I could see a move up to 11 or 12.

If JG frees up for less than a 1st, that's attractive cause we're competitive right away and we can use the 1st on another position.
I think if you get Jimmy you still use the first in a qb. Jimmy is a bridge not a long term answer

Someone was saying Darnold's year is the last year covered by the old CBA, the new rules aren't being applied retroactively to players signed under the old CBA. Again, not sure if this is the truth, you may know better...
He was drafted in 2018. That section of the CBA covers 1st round picks drafted in 2018 or later. So unless there was a special Sam Darnold provision (or 2018 draftee provision) that was subsequently added and not shown here, then I’d expect this would be applying to him. But it’s certainly possible - a postponement may have happened as part of a trade off in negotiating the covid salary cap floor. I’ll see if I can locate anything.

Edit: no changes, it’s fully guaranteed. Here is NFL.com story. NFL sets values for fifth-year options on 2018 first-rounders

Last edited:

Hitting the reset button also gives Douglas and the new coaching regime another two years or so to dine on Woody's fat pay checks before they too get flushed down the drain. I guess that's another way of saying it is what's best for the entire organization.

fwiw word around Panthers-land is the Darnold trade talks really escalated after the OSU pro day, when Panthers staff got to see Justin Fields up close. The thinking is Fields looked so good the Panthers staff said there’s no way he falls to pick 8, so they better go ahead and get a QB. That said, if Fields happens to fall to 8, I find it hard to believe Carolina would pass on him.

being trading from the Jets, especially as a QB, is like hitting the NFL lottery

I'm sure it feels that way, but chances are a lot of damage has already been done. Not like Sanchez went on to be great once he left.

I'm sure it feels that way, but chances are a lot of damage has already been done. Not like Sanchez went on to be great once he left.

agreed....but i'd rather get out at 23 after 3 years than wait the full 4/5......at least he has a shot

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back