PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors: Another WR? Plus Mankins Rubmblings

Status
Not open for further replies.
You heart the same thing too :D

Actually they were talking about a report from John Dennis about a new contract offer for Mankins which I guess was upped a bit from the previous offer and he turned it down. I didnt hear the original report because I dont listen to D & C so I dont know the specifics but it supposedly made him the 3rd highest paid O lineman in the league. I guess the speculation was if he turned that down he just didnt want to play for the Pats.

The Mankins is troubling is troubling.

If the guy doesn't want to play for the team, then he shouldn't be on the team.

Which he is not. That he is coming back is a result of the rules in play, he works long enough to get his vested season and he's out the other side.

someone here mentioned Washington.......

If the Pats are to acquire another WR....... it would be him b/c he is a solid special teams player.

Our receiving corps w/ the TE's in the mix is a very impressive unit.:)

I doubt anything will transpire on the WR acquisition front.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the Mankins rumblings. Cannot believe the Cowboys, Bears and two or three other teams haven't been begging the Pats for a chance at contacting Mankins and striking a deal...

I figure that a contending team which allows 9 sacks in one half and had two QBs knocked out of the game ought to be a bit desperate. A 2012 first rounder ought to do it....

Why? Just wait until the end of the year and sign him as an UFA. Why give up a pick if you don't have to. Of course, the Pats could always franchise him.

If they can franchise Mankins next year, they should.

See how he feels about that...

And then of course trade/cut him right before the start of the season.

If Mankins signs the franchise and the Pats 'cut' him they would still have to pay him at a HIGH elite offensive tackle rate. Not smart business or smart football.

It will happen. Then we can make a deal (w/e) the suitor is willing to give up $$$$/ yrs. wise

If Mankins signs the franchise and the Pats 'cut' him they would still have to pay him at a HIGH elite offensive tackle rate. Not smart business or smart football.

Why is this? I thought contracts were not guaranteed until the player played a game.

Why is this? I thought contracts were not guaranteed until the player played a game.

If you tag a player, and he signs, that money is guaranteed.

I was thinking the same thing, i don't want him actually with the team. IMO it would be a major distraction.

maybe some owner or team will have a huuggge Mancrush on Mankins

and we could get a 2 possibly....

a 3 seems more realistic:(

As Deus said, once a player signs an RFA/franchise/transition tender, it's automatically guaranteed against skill and injury.

What you might be thinking of, upstater, is that there is no upfront money, and the entire tender amount is paid in 1/17 increments each of the 17 weeks of the season.

One thing I'm unclear on with Mankins: Once he reports, are the Patriots obligated to place him on the active roster? In other words, is there any way they can block him from getting his accrued year credit toward unrestricted free agency and put him in limbo so he faces the same situation next season? And then, could they franchise him next season?

One thing I'm unclear on with Mankins: Once he reports, are the Patriots obligated to place him on the active roster? In other words, is there any way they can block him from getting his accrued year credit toward unrestricted free agency and put him in limbo so he faces the same situation next season? And then, could they franchise him next season?

From the NFL spokesman: "In the CBA, a restricted free agent has the right to accept his tender and report to the club any time up until the Tuesday after week 10 (Nov. 16, 4 p.m. ET) of the regular season, whether or not the club requests or agrees to his reporting."

Why would you WANT him?

Because he's a very good wide receiver stuck on a crappy team and has been nothing but a team player? I'd take him in a heart beat. Why wouldn't you WANT him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes