PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not buying any of these articles. Its just fodder.

If McCourty were tagged then maybe it carries more weight. No way both are testing it.

There's a lot of speculation being thrown around that this is coming straight from Revis' agent, which makes a lot of sense for leverage purposes.

Would anyone be surprised in the least? Did you really think Revis wasn't going to at least test the market/ leverage any offers before making a decision? He would be almost dumb not to. He is going to be 30, this is likely his last pay day, and he just played for the Patriots for a discount. The most we can ask of him is to allow the Patriots to match or come close to his best offer.

This is why I started a very long, highly debated thread about whether or not to pick up Year 2, with the premise that there is no way we are signing him to an extension before free agency. And I argued, and still do argue, the Patriots should pick up year 2 of his contract, which takes away much of his leverage, and then try to extend him. At that point, he wouldn't see free agency until 31 and risks injuries/skills declining this next season, and I think that's how we can get him on a 13-14M deal without insane player guarantees.

There's a lot of speculation being thrown around that this is coming straight from Revis' agent, which makes a lot of sense for leverage purposes.

There is no need to create leverage when you already have all the leverage.

The link seems to suggest this originated from Shefter so it's not fodder.

This was always the most likely scenario, that we wouldn't pay the huge salary and Revis would see what the market offers. Then he can decide how much winning is worth to him. Same with McCourty. That's generally how we operate.

Would anyone be surprised in the least? Did you really think Revis wasn't going to at least test the market/ leverage any offers before making a decision? He would be almost dumb not to. He is going to be 30, this is likely his last pay day, and he just played for the Patriots for a discount. The most we can ask of him is to allow the Patriots to match or come close to his best offer.

I would be very surprised if the Pats don't have him locked up before FA if McCouty goes 100%...

I'd probably have a heart attack if both hit FA. I'd think that there are teams out there that would dish out more money for both players. You certainly can't afford to lose both. Not saying it will happen but it'd be a stressful FA period.

Browner Butler Dennard Chung and Harmon, more than enough talent for 19-0.

Plus a rookie or TWO.

I was called a lousy bum and a jets troll when I said Revis would test the market. He's won his ring. Now it's time to cash in.

I am trying to know which teams will pay revis in the market. Are any of them legit contenders? Can the pats offer 15 to 16 million?

I would be very surprised if the Pats don't have him locked up before FA if McCouty goes 100%...

I hope you are right, but let's remember, this isn't just about the Patriots. They may be extremely aggressive, willing to do virtually anything to keep Revis, but if he decides he would rather test free agency, and they don't pick up his second year, then that's the end of it. If the Patriots are, in fact, making him a really lucrative offer right now, it could be all the more reason for Revis to look at other offers; the Patriots are known as one of the more thrifty teams in the league when it comes to long-term deals (although I would argue, perception is not reality.)

I hope you are right, but let's remember, this isn't just about the Patriots. They may be extremely aggressive, willing to do virtually anything to keep Revis, but if he decides he would rather test free agency, and they don't pick up his second year, then that's the end of it. If the Patriots are, in fact, making him a really lucrative offer right now, it could be all the more reason for Revis to look at other offers; the Patriots are known as one of the more thrifty teams in the league when it comes to long-term deals (although I would argue, perception is not reality.)

How will Revis ever know how much another team is willing to pay unless he hits free agency?

It's not like teams just hold press conferences and announce it to the world.

Oh Wait!!!!!

Last edited:
I was listening to Cowherd when Schefter came on. Schefter only said he expects Revis to hit the market due to the $20 mill cap next year. He was just speculating.

Can the pats trade revis? I am just looking at all the options. Lol

If we lose revis then invest that money on the d line.

This isn't new, if Schefter was making news he would have reported it himself on the NFLN, this is just a regurgitation of prior speculation due to his contract. I googled Schefter on this and the only reports from him were from last winter.

Well, I always had the feeling that this would go from 16Mi year to beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes