PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor from a friend in the know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a balance
If you are too top heavy in one position for example QB you are hurting in other spots.
Do you move on from McCourty?
I would love to have Dev at 7 Mill or so.
However I think some team will blow the bank for him.
Van Noy only stays if he takes a below market deal.
Jamie Collins I would bring back with a middle market deal.
I would bring Calhoun back on the cheap.
I would bring back Elandon Roberts because his position flexibility but he has a big fan In Flores and he may overpay.

Again I’m going to sell my pitch to trade Gilmore at his all time value.
I’m trading him To a team for a first this year or second this year and next.
Then I’m locking up JC Jackson.

If it's about balance, your earlier post made no sense. The QB is the most important position on the team, so you'd pay the QB and let guys like Van Noy, Collins, and McCourty walk.

If it's about balance, your earlier post made no sense. The QB is the most important position on the team, so you'd pay the QB and let guys like Van Noy, Collins, and McCourty walk.
No Im saying not to pay any QB crazy cap.
Im saying to spread the cap around the 53 Build the lines.

My dog told me the same thing after eating his own poop

No Im saying not to pay any QB crazy cap.
Im saying to spread the cap around the 53 Build the lines.

It's not balance when you spend for the aging defenders, but don't keep the QB who's won you all the SBs. It's also silly to spread out the money if you' aren't going to be getting a QB worth a damn. There aren't many mediocre teams, with ****ty QBs, winning SBs.

If you're going to use the cap as an excuse, you get rid of everyone. If you're talking balance, you obviously need to invest on the offensive side, not the defensive side, so you pay your QB. If you're just talking crazy, you ditch the QB, spend for the high cost older players that will be declining over time, and then bring in QBs who won't be ready before those aging players need to be replaced.

And, as of now, the offensive line should fine if you bring back Thuney and Andrews. You'd just be looking for backups and development players.

As others have said, it'll be virtually impossible to make a Ricky Williams trade for a generational quarterback.

The only options are to either have the worst record in 2020/2021, or to predict which teams will have the worst record in 2020/2021 and trade for their first-round picks this year.

Bill would have to hedge his bets in case Lawrence returns for his senior year.

Being able to predict which teams will have the worst record in 2020/2021 and managing to trade for their first-round pick would be like trying to win the lottery. The teams that expect themselves to be terrible are unlikely to trade, so Bill would likely end up only trading with teams that think they're going to be good in 2020/2021. The only way those teams would end up with the worst record would be from injuries to their star quarterback and star players, which is impossible to predict, so Bill would deserve to be called a real-life genius if he could somehow manage that.
This is it. No one is giving up that pick. Even teams set at QB would do it or think on it for a minute. Besides KC it would be a conversation at minimum.

Anyone that's read my post knows I believe the first 4 rounds are esstenially all that matters & after that it's a big gamble. That said every pick has some a lil roll of the dice to it, to an extent. Not nearly as some make it out to be but sure there's always a lil gamble involved.
This year you're gambling on Joe Brady's one hit wonder year. I personally lile seeing the good and bad. Some bad you can work with. Some is a deal breaker. But I guess that's a good problem to have.
Or you're betting on Tua's health. Without his mobility how much better is he than Fromm?
Or you're betting on the inconsistent Love, Herbert.

Again there's a gamble in all of them to some extent. The thing about Lawrence is he has been under the biggest of lights for about 5 years now. Considering how long he's been at Clemson that's saying a great deal. LeBron-like in many regards. And like James he's answered or come close every step of the way.

Unless you're KC it's a conversation every team would have to have imo. I can't see anyone trading it ... again unless a Seattle gets it and chooses Wilson > Lawrence and finally builds a proper team around RW. KC obviously, you're not moving on from Mahomes. Situations like that and even then who the hell wants to give Bill, Lawrence? If some team is dumb enough I'd trade a ton for him. NEP organization is competent enough to build a winner. I'd trade a lot for Lawrence, Fields providing neither completely falls off the map.

This is a rumor only.... Brady is signing a 2 year deal with the Pats with a option on the third. According to my source it will be cap friendly. I would love to be able to confirm this but all it is is a rumor as far as I’m concerned.

here is to hoping!!

This is the way

Do you work at a massage place?

The only options are to either have the worst record in 2020/2021, or to predict which teams will have the worst record in 2020/2021 and trade for their first-round picks this year.

You're missing something obvious, so I'll pose it as a question with an example:

The Jets end up with the first pick, despite their QB showing real improvement and franchise potential. Are you saying that, despite what history shows us, there's no way in hell they go forward with their budding franchise QB, and that they absolutely and positively kick Darnold to the curb for Lawrence?

you know, off topic a bit but...I, Joe Kerr, was an idle roomer...for about 20 years...(until she threw me and the cat out)

It was the cat. Surely nothing to do with you.

You're missing something obvious, so I'll pose it as a question with an example:

The Jets end up with the first pick, despite their QB showing real improvement and franchise potential. Are you saying that, despite what history shows us, there's no way in hell they go forward with their budding franchise QB, and that they absolutely and positively kick Darnold to the curb for Lawrence?

BaconGrundleCandy said it. If Lawrence is expected to be that good, except for KC and maybe Seattle, almost every team would replace their QB with Lawrence.

I do concede that a trade is entirely possible if Lawrence pulls a John Elway or Eli Manning and forces one.

What the......

BaconGrundleCandy said it. If Lawrence is expected to be that good, except for KC and maybe Seattle, almost every team would replace their QB with Lawrence.

No team is moving on from a guy they truly think is a franchise QB. Hell, the Cardinals moving on from Rosen was a major anomaly, and Rosen hadn't shown any signs of being a franchise guy.

And, as of now, the offensive line should fine if you bring back Thuney and Andrews. You'd just be looking for backups and development players.

If Andrews comes back and they sign Thuney...sign Karras and with Froholdt and Cajuste, they're probably all set. Maybe draft one more if you see someone you really like.

I think Thuney is gone, he's going to get 10+ mill. Can't pay him that when so many of our other key FA's are up for new contracts. Belichick has proven time and again he can rebuild the line fast. Cajuste was very highly rated coming out of last year's draft, if he is healthy, you can kick him out to LT and Wynn can replace Thuney at LG.

I think Van Noy will be gone too, considering I truly feel Brady will be back (at reasonable cost). Not just because of this thread, I just always felt it'll get done. Sign Collins, McCourty, Brady and Hunter Henry in FA. Maybe a lower priced WR as well. Then draft a TE in the first three rounds as well (none of this 6th or 7th round nonsense). Maybe a speed receiver as well, and your offense is set.

B.

I do concede that a trade is entirely possible if Lawrence pulls a John Elway or Eli Manning and forces one.

This has nothing to do with the patriots. We won't have enough draft capital to trade.

No team is moving on from a guy they truly think is a franchise QB. Hell, the Cardinals moving on from Rosen was a major anomaly, and Rosen hadn't shown any signs of being a franchise guy.

The scenario you laid out is very unrealistic.
Anyone that watched the Jets this year, saw they aren't playing to Darnold's strengths at all. He's not the problem there. So him playing well, to the point where he makes a case for himself > Lawrence is again unlikely.
And if he's playing that well they most likely won't be that bad. Not #1 bad. The only way he makes his case is a serious SB run. Again obviously if that happens they aren't picking at 1.

Also You weren't seriously suggesting NYJ would make any type of trade that nets us a QB that high? Right?

Last edited:
The scenario you laid out is very unrealistic.

The Redskins are at #2 this year, and the Giants are at #4. Either, or both, could think that they have their franchise guy, and they (particularly the Redskins) were definitely in the hunt for that pick.

So saying that the scenario I laid out is very unrealistic just ignores the facts.

The Redskins are at #2 this year, and the Giants are at #4. Either, or both, could think that they have their franchise guy, and they (particularly the Redskins) were definitely in the hunt for that pick.

So saying that the scenario I laid out is very unrealistic just ignores the facts.
You're all over the place Deus. Definitely losing your fastball.

You literally said Darnold would play well. Show franchise QB stuff & the team would be picking at #1 overall.

That's unrealistic.

Not as unrealistic as the Jets trading us the #1 pick. Again besides Mahomes, maybe 1, 2 others you're not passing on Lawrence.

The Patriots poor recent drafting has done a pretty good job of that already. Why worry about it at this point, when you need to get a QB for the next 10-15 seasons?

I agree with your point about the folly of worrying about the draft, however, 2020 presents a myriad of needs, especially if Thuney leaves, Andrews cannot continue his career, Brady leaves or retires, and Van Noy isn't signed. To stay competitive, the Patriots have to hit in both free agency and the draft.

Last year, the biggest waste of time and talent came in free agency, including the Antonio Brown fiasco that squandered money and focus. They need to be quite adept this year with their own free agents, and bring in guys who can contribute right away. I do worry that a huge contract to keep their 43-year-old QB will hamstring their ability to 're-sign other veteran leaders.

This is possibly the most challenging off season, from a personnel standpoint, of the Belichick as GM era.

Assuming burrows and the Ohio state de go 1 and 2, then Detroit should have the perfect chance to trade out of 3 for a king’s ransom to any team that wants To jump ahead of Miami and grab tua.

then after the giants do something stupid, Miami destroys their rebuild by reaching for Herbert, the king of bad tape.

Once Miami takes herbert, love and Eason get artificially inflated up the draft board,

the net net of all this is Espinoza could fall to us at 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes