SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Rumor from a friend in the know...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by 2000army, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58,259
    If it's about balance, your earlier post made no sense. The QB is the most important position on the team, so you'd pay the QB and let guys like Van Noy, Collins, and McCourty walk.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13,575
    No Im saying not to pay any QB crazy cap.
    Im saying to spread the cap around the 53 Build the lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15,093
    My dog told me the same thing after eating his own poop

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +58,259

It's not balance when you spend for the aging defenders, but don't keep the QB who's won you all the SBs. It's also silly to spread out the money if you' aren't going to be getting a QB worth a damn. There aren't many mediocre teams, with ****ty QBs, winning SBs.

If you're going to use the cap as an excuse, you get rid of everyone. If you're talking balance, you obviously need to invest on the offensive side, not the defensive side, so you pay your QB. If you're just talking crazy, you ditch the QB, spend for the high cost older players that will be declining over time, and then bring in QBs who won't be ready before those aging players need to be replaced.

And, as of now, the offensive line should fine if you bring back Thuney and Andrews. You'd just be looking for backups and development players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,890
    This is it. No one is giving up that pick. Even teams set at QB would do it or think on it for a minute. Besides KC it would be a conversation at minimum.

Anyone that's read my post knows I believe the first 4 rounds are esstenially all that matters & after that it's a big gamble. That said every pick has some a lil roll of the dice to it, to an extent. Not nearly as some make it out to be but sure there's always a lil gamble involved.
    This year you're gambling on Joe Brady's one hit wonder year. I personally lile seeing the good and bad. Some bad you can work with. Some is a deal breaker. But I guess that's a good problem to have.
    Or you're betting on Tua's health. Without his mobility how much better is he than Fromm?
    Or you're betting on the inconsistent Love, Herbert.

Again there's a gamble in all of them to some extent. The thing about Lawrence is he has been under the biggest of lights for about 5 years now. Considering how long he's been at Clemson that's saying a great deal. LeBron-like in many regards. And like James he's answered or come close every step of the way.

Unless you're KC it's a conversation every team would have to have imo. I can't see anyone trading it ... again unless a Seattle gets it and chooses Wilson > Lawrence and finally builds a proper team around RW. KC obviously, you're not moving on from Mahomes. Situations like that and even then who the hell wants to give Bill, Lawrence? If some team is dumb enough I'd trade a ton for him. NEP organization is competent enough to build a winner. I'd trade a lot for Lawrence, Fields providing neither completely falls off the map.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nabwong

nabwong Vice President of Boycott NFL Club PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +13,551
    Do you work at a massage place?

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +58,259
    You're missing something obvious, so I'll pose it as a question with an example:

The Jets end up with the first pick, despite their QB showing real improvement and franchise potential. Are you saying that, despite what history shows us, there's no way in hell they go forward with their budding franchise QB, and that they absolutely and positively kick Darnold to the curb for Lawrence?

8. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +37,404
    It was the cat. Surely nothing to do with you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. super36

super36 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4
    BaconGrundleCandy said it. If Lawrence is expected to be that good, except for KC and maybe Seattle, almost every team would replace their QB with Lawrence.

I do concede that a trade is entirely possible if Lawrence pulls a John Elway or Eli Manning and forces one.

10. Biffins

Biffins In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,904
    What the......

11. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +58,259
    No team is moving on from a guy they truly think is a franchise QB. Hell, the Cardinals moving on from Rosen was a major anomaly, and Rosen hadn't shown any signs of being a franchise guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,848
    If Andrews comes back and they sign Thuney...sign Karras and with Froholdt and Cajuste, they're probably all set. Maybe draft one more if you see someone you really like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. scott99

scott99 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,325
    I think Thuney is gone, he's going to get 10+ mill. Can't pay him that when so many of our other key FA's are up for new contracts. Belichick has proven time and again he can rebuild the line fast. Cajuste was very highly rated coming out of last year's draft, if he is healthy, you can kick him out to LT and Wynn can replace Thuney at LG.

I think Van Noy will be gone too, considering I truly feel Brady will be back (at reasonable cost). Not just because of this thread, I just always felt it'll get done. Sign Collins, McCourty, Brady and Hunter Henry in FA. Maybe a lower priced WR as well. Then draft a TE in the first three rounds as well (none of this 6th or 7th round nonsense). Maybe a speed receiver as well, and your offense is set.

• Like Like x 3
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,485
    This has nothing to do with the patriots. We won't have enough draft capital to trade.

15. TheAdultintheRoom

TheAdultintheRoom Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +880
    What about Detroit at 4?

16. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +12,890
    The scenario you laid out is very unrealistic.
    Anyone that watched the Jets this year, saw they aren't playing to Darnold's strengths at all. He's not the problem there. So him playing well, to the point where he makes a case for himself > Lawrence is again unlikely.
    And if he's playing that well they most likely won't be that bad. Not #1 bad. The only way he makes his case is a serious SB run. Again obviously if that happens they aren't picking at 1.

Also You weren't seriously suggesting NYJ would make any type of trade that nets us a QB that high? Right?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  17. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +58,259
    The Redskins are at #2 this year, and the Giants are at #4. Either, or both, could think that they have their franchise guy, and they (particularly the Redskins) were definitely in the hunt for that pick.

So saying that the scenario I laid out is very unrealistic just ignores the facts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. BaconGrundleCandy

Ratings:
    +12,890
    You're all over the place Deus. Definitely losing your fastball.

You literally said Darnold would play well. Show franchise QB stuff & the team would be picking at #1 overall.

That's unrealistic.

Not as unrealistic as the Jets trading us the #1 pick. Again besides Mahomes, maybe 1, 2 others you're not passing on Lawrence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  19. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,092
    I agree with your point about the folly of worrying about the draft, however, 2020 presents a myriad of needs, especially if Thuney leaves, Andrews cannot continue his career, Brady leaves or retires, and Van Noy isn't signed. To stay competitive, the Patriots have to hit in both free agency and the draft.

Last year, the biggest waste of time and talent came in free agency, including the Antonio Brown fiasco that squandered money and focus. They need to be quite adept this year with their own free agents, and bring in guys who can contribute right away. I do worry that a huge contract to keep their 43-year-old QB will hamstring their ability to 're-sign other veteran leaders.

This is possibly the most challenging off season, from a personnel standpoint, of the Belichick as GM era.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3,523
    Assuming burrows and the Ohio state de go 1 and 2, then Detroit should have the perfect chance to trade out of 3 for a king’s ransom to any team that wants To jump ahead of Miami and grab tua.

then after the giants do something stupid, Miami destroys their rebuild by reaching for Herbert, the king of bad tape.

Once Miami takes herbert, love and Eason get artificially inflated up the draft board,

the net net of all this is Espinoza could fall to us at 23.

• Useful Useful x 1