PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster cutdowns - PATRIOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think, at the beginning of last season, one draft projection (I believe it was Walters) had McDermott to the Pats........in the 1st round!

That's why BB puts so much stock in those projections.

And to think, at the beginning of last season, one draft projection (I believe it was Walters) had McDermott to the Pats........in the 1st round!

He was one of the better prospects before Garrett took him apart early in the season. Downwards spiral since then.

By my count, there are 63 players left, so 10 need to go. Conveniently, I could only count 10 possible moves:

Cut:
WR Lucien
OL Ferentz
T McDermott
DL Hamilton
DL Kilgo
EDGE Davis
LB Ellis
CB Likely

IR:
ST Slater
T Garcia

Slater to IR would suck though.
Likely wasn't.

If Karras was so good how come they couldn't snag a 7th for him?

Good chance they didnt shop him because they want to preserve the chance of getting him onto the PS. No need to put even more of a spotlight onto him.

This is why BB thinks nothing of trading late round picks. He probably thinks the difference between them and UFA is mostly a crapshoot. It's numbers when you get that low.

I liked Ted Karras too, but really how many regular season snaps did he take? I trust the coaching staff more than people from the board, especially on an offensive lineman who never played.

If Karras was so good how come they couldn't snag a 7th for him?

In 2016, Karras had 108 snaps on offense + 81 snaps on ST (blocking for FG and extra points).

Yeah, don't see the slam on Wardle. If/when Solder is out I don't want to depend on some combination of Fleming and Cannon at the most important OL spot.

Don't see that affecting Karras, they don't play the same position. C/G backup is just that, not a LT backup.

I wasn't connecting them - I was answering the thread title.

Clearly the Pats aren't done with the Roster. None of the players were officially moved to Reserve lists.

They need a reserve center at the very least.

I liked Ted Karras too, but really how many regular season snaps did he take? I trust the coaching staff more than people from the board, especially on an offensive lineman who never played.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speak for the Karras-baffled masses:

We're perfectly content to trust the coaching staff to choose somebody else over Karras. What has us all puzzled is that the current roster opts for nobody over Karras.

There is no backup center (no, I don't count Thuney or Mason), and only one backup guard. So we're really hoping there's more to this story.

We're perfectly content to trust the coaching staff to choose somebody else over Karras. What has us all puzzled is that the current roster opts for nobody over Karras.

There is no backup center (no, I don't count Thuney or Mason), and only one backup guard. So we're really hoping there's more to this story.
To be a (sane) Patsfan, PATience is required...and quite often rewarded.

Also, Vollmer retiring makes it almost mandatory to keep a primary LT around IMO. Fleming is meh at best, Cannon is the most one position RT I can recall and our LT of the future apparently weighs in at about 235 currently.

Funny they should play Fleming ahead of Waddle at both LT and RT in actual season games last year then..

Watching Waddle getting burned daily by guys who are currently on waivers just doesn't speak “mandatory“ to me..

Seeing “pedigree“ Ferentz as the only C backup option from PS would really be disappointing..

Fleming and Croston both can back up at Guard.

My understanding is that no announcement was made of the players going to Reserve lists.

EDIT: Found the list of players on Reserves on Patriots.com.. Wasn't on NFL.com..

Last edited:
Fleming and Croston both can back up at Guard.

I really don't want to see Fleming at guard, IMO he hasn't shown well there in the past. I'm still expecting another move.

There probably is and that's why I am not concerned. This isn't the Sullivan Patriots.
I'm not the least bit worried that they are missing something. They understand the need for position depth. It is the unfortunate reason Jordan Richards made the team.

We don't know what's going on with players. I thought Waddle was doing pretty good, maybe better than Fleming, until he had the concussion. Maybe the team appreciated his willingness to come back at less than 100% and figure he will be recovered by the time they might need him midseason.

It's a important position with a 40 year old QB. They might figure it would be easier to figure out guard and center.

The roster is not even close to be finalized so it doesn't make much sense to put too much thought into it all. ****, I am sure the moves will continue after our first game and hopefully settle down in W2.

Gotta be a bit patient with it all..

Funny they should play Fleming ahead of Waddle at both LT and RT in actual season games last year then..

Watching Waddle getting burned daily by guys who are currently on waivers just doesn't speak “mandatory“ to me..

Maybe they are preparing for needing him at LT sometime. Let's face it, Solder might not be long for the team, Vollmers gone. Who are they going to play at LT in case of injury?

I really don't want to see Fleming at guard, IMO he hasn't shown well there in the past. I'm still expecting another move.

I'm expecting one as well.. Wouldn't be surprised to see Waddell let go later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST