PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Acquisitions - Next Step: Defense

Yeah the early days I was a kid so it meant watching games at home with my Dad and younger brother or going to Pats games with them. We saw them at Fenway,Harvard, Nickerson and BC. Memories I'll keep forever.

To me he would be the perfect final piece to the secondary but unless they trade for him, I don’t see it happening. Even if they open up some cap space, I don’t see them being able to compete for his services on the open market with all of the CB needy teams around the league. A trade would require an extension, in order to significantly reduce his 2022 cap hit.

Slacker you had to wait to 1961,:) I guess I just couldn't wait living in Somerville at the time jumped right on the band wagon. For everything said about Billy Sullivan he did bring us the Patriots. In some ways the early years were a lot more fun then now even though they didn't get to any of the big games. I can remember Nickerson field, Harvard and all the hijinks now with fondness. Miss that now, it has become much more of a business and less of just let's have fun.

Oh well time marches on and everything changes. I hope you had as much fun with them in the early years as I did.
Even back then, we complained about the cornerbacks (Shonta, Felt) and WR's (Colclough) and QB's (Songin). But, they were still fun, won a lot of games. We need more focus on the fun of following the team as opposed to tearing it down.

Even back then, we complained about the cornerbacks (Shonta, Felt) and WR's (Colclough) and QB's (Songin). But, they were still fun, won a lot of games. We need more focus on the fun of following the team as opposed to tearing it down.
Fun?! It's funny I kinda feel sorry for the younger generations, especially from millennials on. Despite all the high tech crap I dont think they have anywhere near as much fun as I did when I was a teenager and young adult. Im not talking just sports but life in general. Kinda sad.

I don't think we'll ever stop complaining. Reading the reactions on the draft and free agents I wonder if we're not going to have the first pick in next year's draft:rofl: It seems like the Patriots world is ending. Oh well I followed them then and I will keep following no matter what, but I do think I will wait at least 2 years maybe 3 to pass my verdict on this year's draft. I agree we got to enjoy the fun of following the team I'm too old to worry about tearing them down.

I think we enjoyed one of the best eras in football during the Brady years and I think we will enjoy more because I believe this is the ultimate team sport. One star can help, but cannot carry the team and I think they are in the process of building their team.

I don't think we'll ever stop complaining. Reading the reactions on the draft and free agents I wonder if we're not going to have the first pick in next year's draft:rofl: It seems like the Patriots world is ending. Oh well I followed them then and I will keep following no matter what, but I do think I will wait at least 2 years maybe 3 to pass my verdict on this year's draft. I agree we got to enjoy the fun of following the team I'm too old to worry about tearing them down.

I think we enjoyed one of the best eras in football during the Brady years and I think we will enjoy more because I believe this is the ultimate team sport. One star can help, but cannot carry the team and I think they are in the process of building their team.
I look at that. And then I ask myself who is more likely to have gotten it wrong:
an NFL head coach with eight (8) Super Bowl rings, and access to the best information about team needs and prospect scouting reports,
or
the collective wisdom of social media influencers, media talking heads, and Internet keyboard warriors, using information of unknown and somewhat dubious quality?

To me he would be the perfect final piece to the secondary but unless they trade for him, I don’t see it happening. Even if they open up some cap space, I don’t see them being able to compete for his services on the open market with all of the CB needy teams around the league. A trade would require an extension, in order to significantly reduce his 2022 cap hit.

The DLine seems to be having less discussion than the rest of the team. Does this mean that what we have is good enough or will it be revisited soon enough ?? I have tried to follow the comments re we need bigger D/Linemen if we are going more to zone and using smaller faster LB's but there has been little movement with the DLine personnel. I may have picked this up wrong.

The DLine seems to be having less discussion than the rest of the team..
???

Many, many here have talked about the need for a DT and for DE. This discussion has been ongoing since our last playoff game.

Flowers and Hicks as additions are discussed almost every day.

The DLine seems to be having less discussion than the rest of the team. Does this mean that what we have is good enough or will it be revisited soon enough ?? I have tried to follow the comments re we need bigger D/Linemen if we are going more to zone and using smaller faster LB's but there has been little movement with the DLine personnel. I may have picked this up wrong.
???

OK, I will be more clear.

We will likely carry 6 DL's, perhaps 7.

4 LOCKS (if not traded)
Barmore, Godchaux, Wise and Guy

COMPETING FOR 2-3 ROSTER SPOTS
Anderson
Ekuale
Cowart
Carl Davis
Murray

============
Many posters would want to replace almost all of these. Only Barmore is immune from those who would toss him. Almost NO ONE is happy with the DL group. However, most of expect an addition or two.

???

Many, many here have talked about the need for a DT and for DE. This discussion has been ongoing since our last playoff game.

Flowers and Hicks as additions are discussed almost every day.
So, Flowers and Hicks are bigger bodied DLinemen then what we have already?.. I was just trying to see if this was the solution that posters wanted. The last post in this thread was 10 days ago which would point to Flowers and Hicks being the favoured options.

So, Flowers and Hicks are bigger bodied DLinemen then what we have already?.. I was just trying to see if this was the solution that posters wanted. The last post in this thread was 10 days ago which would point to Flowers and Hicks being the favoured options.
So, you prefer all these over Hicks as a DT: Cowart, Ekuale and Carl Davis? You do understand that Hicks is heavier than any of them, and a much, much better player (even at 70% of his former production). Hicks would be the heaviest player on the DL.

You should re-post anything from this board that said that Flowers was the answer at DT.

We are discussing DL's, which does include DE's. In any case, is it your position that Flowers would be an upgrade over the bottom DE/EDGE rusher on the roster.
=========
The BOTTOM LINE is that either Hicks of Flowers would improve the defense. And YES, this improvement would help reach the level of 2021 stats and prevent the opponents from scoring. Of course, others think that yards are more important than points.

Last edited:
It doesn’t get discussed enough because if your team ranks “3rd in points allowed”, no upgrades are needed.

Patsfans.com logic.

It doesn’t get discussed enough because if your team ranks “3rd in points allowed”, no upgrades are needed.

Patsfans.com logic.
As usual, your very short post is simply silly.

If our team were the BEST defense in the NFL, there would still be opportunities for upgrades.

So, you prefer all these over Hicks as a DT: Cowart, Ekuale and Carl Davis?
I dont think I am explaining myself well....Hicks would be better and he would certainly add some beef to the line but Flowers is a DE/OLB and under 300lbs. I am the trying to understand that if Hicks did sign then the need to beef up the DLine (which I thought was a need based on other posts etc) would be "solved" by 1 player.

As usual, your very short post is simply silly.

If our team were the BEST defense in the NFL, there would still be opportunities for upgrades.
Well...did they upgrade the D?

Patsfans.com logic.
I understand your point but not sure if what you said matches what I have read re the DLine being good enough and needs some improvement. Maybe I am influenced by the wrong people...no problem

I dont think I am explaining myself well....Hicks would be better and he would certainly add some beef to the line but Flowers is a DE/OLB and under 300lbs. I am the trying to understand that if Hicks did sign then the need to beef up the DLine (which I thought was a need based on other posts etc) would be "solved" by 1 player.
Yes, Hicks would solidify the run defense and the inside of the DL. One addition would be plenty.

Flowers meets the need of needing help on the EDGE.

Yes, Hicks would solidify the run defense and the inside of the DL. One addition would be plenty.

Flowers meets the need of needing help on the EDGE.
I did try to DM you to explain my poor post but not possible...

Well...did they upgrade the D?
My personal view is that the Offense will be much, much improved, but the Defense is a bit worse than 2021.
==================
SECONDARY
My guess is that the performance of the secondary about the same.
LOST: Jackson
ADDED: Peppers, Butler, Jones. Jones, Jones (back for IR) and Mitchell

INSIDE LINEBCACKERS
Everyone was saying how Hightower was weak last year. I suspect that we will be about the same at ILB
GONE: Hightower
ADDED: McMillan (back from IR), Wilson, McGrone, (hopefully Jennings will step up)

OLB/EDGE
I agree that we need help here. HOWEVER, it is NOT worse than last year. If either Perkins or Uche step up, we have improvement.
GONE: Van Noy
ADDED: Perkins (back for IR); hopefully Uche won't be invisible

DT/DE
I agree that we need help here. But, it is not worse than last year.
GONE; no one
ADDED: Anderson (back from IR)

BOTTOM LINE
When we see needs at EDGE and DT, it is easy to say that we are worse than 2021, and that there have been no improvements. That just doesn't follow. Many needs have been addressed with likely minor improvements. And YES, there could be more improvements if we add aveteran DT and EDGE players.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back