PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roster Acquisitions - Next Step: Defense

So, Flowers and Hicks are bigger bodied DLinemen then what we have already?.. I was just trying to see if this was the solution that posters wanted. The last post in this thread was 10 days ago which would point to Flowers and Hicks being the favoured options.
No, but we all remember how impactful they were and want to see the old magic. Howeve, they are a few years longer in tooth with much more damage to their bodies.

???

OK, I will be more clear.

We will likely carry 6 DL's, perhaps 7.

4 LOCKS (if not traded)
Barmore, Godchaux, Wise and Guy

COMPETING FOR 2-3 ROSTER SPOTS
Anderson
Ekuale
Cowart
Carl Davis
Murray

============
Many posters would want to replace almost all of these. Only Barmore is immune from those who would toss him. Almost NO ONE is happy with the DL group. However, most of expect an addition or two.

Once Roberts demonstrates that he's the next coming of Aaron Donald, all will be well.

So, Flowers and Hicks are bigger bodied DLinemen then what we have already?.. I was just trying to see if this was the solution that posters wanted. The last post in this thread was 10 days ago which would point to Flowers and Hicks being the favoured options.

Good morning Cousin.
Sorry, my boring Monday breakfast consisted of just a special english muffin. I did one with Peanut butter. Then just vanilla coffee and orange juice since I have my doctor this week......................Three simple moves make this Team better. Right now if we are all honest we have not done anywhere near enough to compete with any Team in our conference at least on paper.

If I am wrong please tell me. These three below do not make up the 96 Bears, but they can actually be had. Picture at the least Clowney and Judon for QB pressures. The Bills never punted the last two games. How is BB not embarrassed and putting a stop to this? If someone is smart they put more than a crap one year prove it deal on a kid (Clowney) who is only 29 and can wreck a game. He is healthier than Trey Flowers at this point. He's bigger, faster and his run stop ability is well noted. They atre also the same age.

Let's see. The Dolphins just signed Ingram who had a great part time year with K.C. 11 QB hits part time for the year. Was a decent pick up. The Bills signed Von Miller to a six year deal. The Jets have Carl Lawson coming back from injury and Drafted Jermain Johnson and Clemons.......The Patriots got........?............anybody, anybody?

Here are some new blood that can help.

DT Larry Ogunjobi former the Bengals was offer a $10mm contract by the Bears. They bounced it after his operated foot was not quite right upon signing. 49 tackles, 7 sacks, 16 QB hits in 21. 6'4" and 305. Talk about under the radar and people worried about his foot Seems like a perfect BB injury gamble. I am sure a prove it deal can be structured into a long term offering pending incentives. Only 27. Speed and pocket pressure happen now.

DE Clelin Ferrell Raiders. Never fit the Mayock ideal of a pass rush 'sack" guy. Best at setting the edge and good against the run........but he had 35 QB pressures the last two years in a rotation. Bill says he values that more. Can play inside as well 6'5" and 273lbs. Again speed.
Former first round pick #4 did not have his fifth year picked up. Only 25. The Raiders will trade him. They loved Agholor. Is he better than Wise?

DE Jedeveon Clowney. Yep I said it. One of the best run stopping DE's in the game. Like Ferrell was Drafted as a main pass rusher. His health has always been at issue. He's only 29. Give him a three years deal. 11 sacks in 2021. 37 tackles 6'5" about 260lbs. Speed.....4.54 40. If Pass rush was not his forte he was pretty good. 19 QB hits and two forced fumbles. Imagine he and Matt Judon. Expensive? Can you construct a multi year package?

Would your front seven defense be better? Add Barmore and you might have something. Thoughts?

DW Toys

DE Jedeveon Clowney.

If Clowney wanted to get some dumb team to give him 1 last huge deal then I think his best spot would be NE for this year. He would be a beast. Judon came in and his first year only Tippett has had more sacks in a season. He tied Chandler Jones best year. More than Willie's best year.

When Bentley and Wise are replaced I will have more confidence in our defense.
and Belichick will have less confidence.

I haven't been a Pats fan that long- just since 1961. It took me one year to switch over from the NYG. Guess I'm just a johnny come lately.
I feel your 2020 pain. But that was nothing compared to the early 90's,the darkest of days. But watching Cam in 2020 was rough. Maybe even as rough as enduring Joe Kapp.
Unlike a lot,maybe even most, I don't have a problem with this draft. I liked the Strange pick. I'm no college prospect expert but I sure as hell didnt eant alligator-armed McDaniels over Strange.
Ive never paid much attention to anyone else's draft grades. Patriots always have their own. And what A lot of people dont realize is if the Pats saw Strange and Thornton as worthy if 1st and 2nd rd picks I GUARANTEE you there was at least one other team that did as well and would've snatched both players very shortly thereafter if NE passed on em.
So Im not unhappy with this draft. Strange and Thornton fill 2 huge needs, potentially.
Pats had a lot of needs to fill. The cb situation is not ideal. But truth is none of us knows how it all shakes out for a few years. So yes my son,there is hope.
I like when the old timers reminisce. I'm one of them. When I was a kid growing up in the suburbs of the 50s and 60s, we used to challenge the street opposite ours in a version of the Olympics. We were South and they were North. Between the two streets we must have had two dozen kids all around the same age. Now when I go back to visit there I don't think there are ten kids total of all ages living on those streets combined.

I started watching NYFL games in the 50s when we were force-fed Giants' games. But one look at Jimmy Brown and I became a Browns fan. I'm pretty sure that @DarrylS travelled that same path. Once the Pats came to be I was a fan and I'm still one today. It's been a great ride.

Why is that? Are they not replaceable?
If that is the meaning, the post is totally irrelevant or meaningless.

Obviously, I would be happy when we find a replacement upgrade at ANY position for any player.

The post I responded to implied that we need replacements for the weak players Wise and Bentley.

I like when the old timers reminisce. I'm one of them. When I was a kid growing up in the suburbs of the 50s and 60s, we used to challenge the street opposite ours in a version of the Olympics. We were South and they were North. Between the two streets we must have had two dozen kids all around the same age. Now when I go back to visit there I don't think there are ten kids total of all ages living on those streets combined.

I started watching NYFL games in the 50s when we were force-fed Giants' games. But one look at Jimmy Brown and I became a Browns fan. I'm pretty sure that @DarrylS travelled that same path. Once the Pats came to be I was a fan and I'm still one today. It's been a great ride.

I also became an NFL fan by watching the Browns, while the Giants were continually available, there was something about that storied franchise with Jim Brown that caught my eye. Also the influence of my best friends father played a huge role in helping me understand the game who was a Browns fan. Stayed loyal to Cleveland until the Jets won the Superbowl in 1969, then I knew the AFL was for real, so I became a die hard Pats fan.

Some of the early escapades of the Pats did not entice me to become a loyalist, many incidents verged on comical. No home, recruiting players from the stadium etc. etc.

One of the worse episodes as a long time fan was in the 90's when I would go to work on Sunday and all the Giants fans and Dallas fans would be there in their "puff coats", there was no Pats gear available... in '85 there were a few "Squish the Fish T-Shirts" available, but that was about it. I always brought my walkman to work, as the games were blacked out due to low attendance. Admired the jobs that Gil & Gino did announcing in the 90's. Guys I worked with thought I was a degenerate gambler, but I was just an avid fan.

Last edited:
It doesn’t get discussed enough because if your team ranks “3rd in points allowed”, no upgrades are needed.

Patsfans.com logic.
Can you quote any examples of anyone ever saying this?

No games today but we have no money and very little defense. Finding $10M under the seat cushions and rearranging the deck chairs will not turn this group into a defense that can challenge for the division imo. Having trouble with unfamiliar settings to recalibrate expectations. Fire away.

BB knows Shelton well and let him walk. I am not sure why as I thought he was better than Carl Davis. I do not understand why, but I doubt Shelton is coming back.
Shelton walked because the Lions overpaid for him.

LeBryan Ray and Sam Roberts hopefully can push Wise down

Hopefully McMillan, Wilson and McGrone can push Bentley down.
Roberts Is going to be in the mess with Guy, Godchaux, Davis, Anderson, Cowart, Ekuale, and Murray. Barmore is the only "lock" at DT. Wise will be in the the "Edge" guys because that's where he lined up except on 3rd downs.

I expect the 4 LBs to be McMillan, Wilson, McGrone and Bentley. Dugger and Peppers are "safeties", but they are the LB/S combo. DMac, Phillips, and Bledsoe are likely our other Safeties. I don't expect Bryant to make it past the 1st cutdowns unless there has been injuries. And, contrary to the claim by PFF that Bryant didn't give up a TD when covering the slot, he gave up 2.

D. Mitchell, Ray, Perkins, Uche, Wise, Judon are the "edge" guys. The hope is that Perkins learned enough last year so he can line up in the 2 point stance and be in the rotation. Uche and Wise will be pushed by Ray and and Mitchell. He's definitely not a lock.

One binky down, Hafford. I will substitute Roberts. Hope that's not the kiss of death.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back