PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Root this weekend for...

Only when you're talking about trading up for the #1 pick in the entire draft. Here's three recent trades. Let's say the Pats end up with the 12th pick like the Bills did in 2018. I'd be more than happy giving up what they did for Allen. That value is probably right in between what both of us were saying so rather than split hairs have a happy new year my friend.
  • Josh Rosen — Arizona Cardinals gave up pick Nos. 15, 79 and 152 to the Oakland Raiders for the 10th overall selection in 2018.
  • Josh Allen — Buffalo Bills sent their own 2018 first rounder (No. 12 overall) to move up to seventh overall, also giving up two second-round picks and getting the No. 255 overall pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Sam Darnold — New York Jets sent 2018 pick Nos. 6, 37 and 49 overall, plus a 2019 second rounder, to the Indianapolis Colts’ first-round pick (No. 3 overall).
Wow the jets got fleeced by colts...no wonder colts have the awesome cap space with decent pkaymakers. If only they could have an above average qb.

No point trading up for qb when we have so many needs ..

I'm watching to see how the youngins progress and compete...can't honestly say I care much beyond that.
Belichick recently said that resigning from the Jets was one of the greatest moments of his career. I don't think he could care less whether or not he picks at 11 or 16 if it meant losing to the Jets in earnest.

That being said, this is how I feel about the upcoming game.

They've been aggressive before. Trading up for Mayo, Hightower and Chandler Jones. They don't always sit back.

But here's what we don't know. They might not like one of the 3 QBs. And if, as projected, 3 go in the top 4, the y might have no interest in trading up to 6th or 7th. We have to take that into account. They actually might not rate one of the 3 highly.
That’s possible but the reality is if they think they would get him with the pick they have, then he’s good enough to trade up and ensure it rather than get left with their **** in their hands

Wow the jets got fleeced by colts...no wonder colts have the awesome cap space with decent pkaymakers. If only they could have an above average qb.

Sure but it Darnold didn’t bust (he was routinely considered the top QB that draft) or they took Allen or Jackson..... then the Colts were the team that would have been kicking themselves for not getting someone when Luck was gone. The Colts were kneecapped last year as talented as they were because they didn’t have a QB. Rivers worked out, but now they have to figure out what to do next year.

Look at all those stacked early to mid 2010 Houston teams that had our back ups and didn’t go anywhere

It really depends on the QB. Most people thought Allen was a big reach. It looks great in hindsight though.

Only when you're talking about trading up for the #1 pick in the entire draft. Here's three recent trades. Let's say the Pats end up with the 12th pick like the Bills did in 2018. I'd be more than happy giving up what they did for Allen. That value is probably right in between what both of us were saying so rather than split hairs have a happy new year my friend.
  • Josh Rosen — Arizona Cardinals gave up pick Nos. 15, 79 and 152 to the Oakland Raiders for the 10th overall selection in 2018.
  • Josh Allen — Buffalo Bills sent their own 2018 first rounder (No. 12 overall) to move up to seventh overall, also giving up two second-round picks and getting the No. 255 overall pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Sam Darnold — New York Jets sent 2018 pick Nos. 6, 37 and 49 overall, plus a 2019 second rounder, to the Indianapolis Colts’ first-round pick (No. 3 overall).

As for Darnold, you can make a solid case that 3 2nd rounders are basically the equivalent of a #1. It won't shock me at all if the Patriots trade, say, #15 + next years #1 to move up for a QB they like.

As for Darnold, you can make a solid case that 3 2nd rounders are basically the equivalent of a #1. It won't shock me at all if the Patriots trade, say, #15 + next years #1 to move up for a QB they like.
I would bet there is a much higher chance they trade back out of 15 and get another 1st rounder than there is using one to move up for a player that won't see the field for st least a year.

Crazy to think that a year prior to trading up to get Josh Allen, the 2017 Buffalo Bills traded the 10th overall pick to the Chiefs for their first round pick, third round pick, and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. The Chiefs chose future HoF QB Patrick Mahomes with that 10th pick.
It’s not about trading up...it’s about being able to identify the RIGHT player.

Wow the jets got fleeced by colts...no wonder colts have the awesome cap space with decent playmakers. If only they could have an above average qb.

I was initially of the same mindset, but I am not sure now.

This being after it was pointed out to me that we don't know if the Pats could be further away in the draft order in the 2022 draft, than they are/will be in the 2021 draft.

Nobody wants to be one of those teams that spends six years bouncing between 6-10 and 9-7, never getting bad enough to draft a worthwhile starting quarterback while at the same time never being a serious contender.

I think you may be right. If one is there that they like.

I wish in hindsight that they hadn’t acquired Newton and stuck with the original plan. Starting Stidham.

Not sure we know what we’ve got there.

He was dropped like a hot potato early in TC following his injury.

The Jets, obviously.
So for me bizarro 2020 isn’t officially over in my mind until after this game. Rooting for the Jets and Adam Gase.

I think it’ll be a win for the Jets who have actual WR talent. Not sure who their TEs are. But since ours is the worst in 20 of NFL history they gotta be better.

I think you may be right. If one is there that they like.

I wish in hindsight that they hadn’t acquired Newton and stuck with the original plan. Starting Stidham.

Not sure we know what we’ve got there.

He was dropped like a hot potato early in TC following his injury.
And rightfully so. He is an awful NFL QB, as most 4th rounders are. Just a 54 passer rating when the defenses he‘s playing against have stopped trying? Yikes.

Crazy to think that a year prior to trading up to get Josh Allen, the 2017 Buffalo Bills traded the 10th overall pick to the Chiefs for their first round pick, third round pick, and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. The Chiefs chose future HoF QB Patrick Mahomes with that 10th pick.
It’s not about trading up...it’s about being able to identify the RIGHT player.

In the 2007 NFL draft the Patriots wanted to trade up for Revis but didn't want to give up a first and a second even though they identified him a perennial pro-bowl player. So beyond identifying it's trusting in your evaluation and not treating draft capital in this instance like gold and yet throwing away 2nds and 3rds on the Sanu's, Starks and Burgess's of the world.

Imagine if they pulled the trigger on that instead of the Jets. 2007 it's Revis and not Hobbs playing along side Samuel and that team goes undefeated. Similar story in 2011 going from a fair, and I'm really being kind labeling it that, secondary to a good one.

I never want to see the Pats lose a game, however this game I might have to make an exception ! This year has gone so wrong that now it's time to hope for a top 10 pick !

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back