PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

MHJ is the closest to a 'sure thing' in this draft. QB is critical, but so is making sure your #3 overall pick isn't a dud.
My thought process as well. You can get the best prospect in the draft at a position that's been a mess for 5 years. Then trade up to get a QB if you really weren't sold on any of them at 3.

Me too….just not at 3.
Nabers at 3 is a horrible idea. MHJ not so much. Considering it likely will be Maye/Penix/McCarthy at 3, Maye is the only one I really could make a case is worth considering at 3 over MHJ.

My thought process as well. You can get the best prospect in the draft at a position that's been a mess for 5 years. Then trade up to get a QB if you really weren't sold on any of them at 3.
We should be able to take Harrison Jr and then Pennix or Nix if this is the route we want to go at QB,

For the love of God keep Jonathan Kraft away from any negotiations or the draft room.
If Kraft fired Bill to empower his son that’s a great way to take the franchise.

The Patriots have said they are “ open” to listen to trade offers, they haven’t indicated they want to trade out of 3.

The Vikings are picking at 8, they swapped picks with Atlanta because the Falcons tampered with Cousins.
Is that confirmed?

Isn’t there a track record of inaccurate throwers not being likely to fix it in the pros?
People inevitably bring up Josh Allen (... like me now). Also, Matt Ryan passed for under 60% his final college season. Stafford averaged 57.1% for his college career and was 61.4% his final season.

I've heard some that have met him question his overall intelligence but then others that have met him say it's because his personality (southern bumpkin?) makes you think he's not smart but say he's actually pretty intelligent.
The OC for NC was absolutely terrible, the play calling was laughable at times.
CJ Stroud was heavily knocked for his lack of football acumen FWIW.

I will say he got no coaching last year, It was like going from McDaniel's to Patricia, I can't underestimate how bad his coaching was last year, also makes me wonder this person is passing blame to Maye for their own incompetence, hard to tell.

It's something that only the teams can answer by in person interviews, if he does struggle with football acumen it would make it harder to teach him what he needs because he has all the physical talent in the world, everything he needs to correct are coachable things but if he can't process the coaching and put it into play then he won't ever come close to his ceiling.
The biggest was his decision-making.
Terrible. Why? Because he has no clue how to read a defense.
This has to do with a lack of  football intelligence. He could be a genius with a 200 IQ, that has  nothing to do with football intelligence.
What the coach told me jibes with what I'd already seen on the field.
Did you watch the Clemson game?
He was putrid. Worse performance I've seen by any college qb in 2023.
Of course, very few college qbs can read defenses, either.
Colleges do a worse job now preparing qbs for the nfl than they did 20 years ago.
College qbing has gotten worse,no question.
The coaches make all the calls.
They're better athletes but way worse qbs.

It would be beyond silly, but I wonder if the Pats might pick MHJ to try to quiet the "can't pick a WR in Day 1/2" crowd. I mean the last WR the Pats picked up high that lived up to expectations was also from OSU. She* ended up catching the GOAT's 1st ever TD pass and won a ring.

*RIP - I mean that as a complete term of endearment with absolutely zero disrespect.

The biggest was his decision-making.
Terrible. Why? Because he has no clue how to read a defense.
This has to do with a lack of  football intelligence. He could be a genius with a 200 IQ, that has  nothing to do with football intelligence.
What the coach told me jibes with what I'd already seen on the field.
Did you watch the Clemson game?
He was putrid. Worse performance I've seen by any college qb in 2023.
Of course, very few college qbs can read defenses, either.
Colleges do a worse job now preparing qbs for the nfl than they did 20 years ago.
College qbing has gotten worse,no question.
The coaches make all the calls.
They're better athletes but way worse qbs.
Don't mean to put you on the spot, but who's your pick for a QB? If it's "I don't know," that's a perfectly acceptable answer, as it's really a crapshoot at this point, per KWarner.

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but who's your pick for a QB? If it's "I don't know," that's a perfectly acceptable answer, as it's really a crapshoot at this point, per KWarner.
Despite everything, Maye is still the best qb prospect by a slim margin over Daniels. I'd take both ahead of Williams.
Maye really needs a full year as a backup to study game film and work on his weaknesses.
Daniels will be better right out the gate but I think Maye will be better in the long run. Look how long it took Allen.
But I still think I'd take MHJ at 3.

Despite everything, Maye is still the best qb prospect by a slim margin over Daniels. I'd take both ahead of Williams.
Maye really needs a full year as a backup to study game film and work on his weaknesses.
Daniels will be better right out the gate but I think Maye will be better in the long run. Look how long it took Allen.
But I still think I'd take MHJ at 3.
Seems like a waste for MJH at 3 in a draft that is deep in WR talent.

If it was just him that is different.

We should be able to take Harrison Jr and then Pennix or Nix if this is the route we want to go at QB,

For the love of God keep Jonathan Kraft away from any negotiations or the draft room.
If Kraft fired Bill to empower his son that’s a great way to take the franchise.
They are not taking Harrison.

They are not taking MHJ, people want that for some reason, but its not happening. You dont take a receiver that high, its just silly unless that is literally the only thing you need.

Yeah,truth is I really don't know what the hell I'd do if it was up to me.
BPA, regardless of position,has been the one proven, time -tested way to draft successfully.
Sometimes a riskier choice works out,most of the time it doesn't.
But we should all look on the bright side: we will get someone at #3 who will improve the team. Maybe a little,hopefully a lot

The issue is none of them are really the prospect MJH is.

For example, N'Keal Harry still would have been in the mix for the best WR's in this class. Same with Hollywood Brown. Both flopped.

MJH is the safest pick in the draft where at worst you get a solid WR that is going to be a contributor and at best you get a mega stud.

Nobody would be blown away if Maye/Daniels/Williams or any of the other WR's flopped. MHJ is the one guy in the draft where he would be in one of the biggest busts categories if he didn't work out

They are not taking MHJ, people want that for some reason, but its not happening. You dont take a receiver that high, its just silly unless that is literally the only thing you need.
If he doesn't go 3 he's going to go 4. And whatever team picks him will still be a team where he isn't literally the only thing he needs.

Context matters. WR is the most valuable offensive position after QB in the modern NFL. If the best player in the draft is a WR he's going to go high with only QB needy teams preventing him from being picked one if there is still first round talent available. Same with a Defensive lineman.

If he doesn't go 3 he's going to go 4. And whatever team picks him will still be a team where he isn't literally the only thing he needs.

Context matters. WR is the most valuable offensive position after QB in the modern NFL. If the best player in the draft is a WR he's going to go high with only QB needy teams preventing him from being picked one if there is still first round talent available. Same with a Defensive lineman.
Arizona needs a wideout...they have a Qb, which is why they are drafting a wideout. Because they need one. You do not take a receiver that high, they are too easy to get. The patriots will not take Harrison at 3. No receiver is not the most valuable player after QB or even close. I watched about 50 receivers roll through this team for 20 years, and about 5 of them were pro bowlers. Receivers are the easiest thing to get in the NFL because there are a ton of them

The issue is none of them are really the prospect MJH is.

For example, N'Keal Harry still would have been in the mix for the best WR's in this class. Same with Hollywood Brown. Both flopped.

MJH is the safest pick in the draft where at worst you get a solid WR that is going to be a contributor and at best you get a mega stud.

Nobody would be blown away if Maye/Daniels/Williams or any of the other WR's flopped. MHJ is the one guy in the draft where he would be in one of the biggest busts categories if he didn't work out
The pats done have a QB, getting a receiver means you you just wasted a high pick on a player that is not going to do much based on who is throwing him the ball. You build around a Qb, you never build around a receiver.

Arizona needs a wideout...they have a Qb, which is why they are drafting a wideout. Because they need one. You do not take a receiver that high, they are too easy to get. The patriots will not take Harrison at 3. No receiver is not the most valuable player after QB or even close. I watched about 50 receivers roll through this team for 20 years, and about 5 of them were pro bowlers. Receivers are the easiest thing to get in the NFL because there are a ton of them
They need more than a wideout. The team isn't that good. And their QB is a question mark at best. We also need a wideout.

And no they aren't "too easy to get". This team hasn't been able to find one since Edelman started declining and they got rid of Cooks lol. They've also only every drafted 2-3 WR's worth anything in the last 20 years. This isn't the 2000's or early 2010's anymore. You need WR's in this league. Look at the playoff picture. It's rare for a playoff team to not have a WR1 who isn't a top 10 and the ones that don't have the best or second best pass catching TE in the league.

This offense has been inept because there's nobody worth throwing to. It hurt Brady in his last year and it hurt every single QB that tried to start since. The league is designed for WR's who can break defensive coverage now and this team has not had that and ever since they lost their last two strong pass catchers (Cooks and Gronk) they've fallen off the competitive ladder even when they had the GOAT QB. Hell throughout most of the 2010's our playoff fate was tied to how healthy Gronk was

The pats done have a QB, getting a receiver means you you just wasted a high pick on a player that is not going to do much based on who is throwing him the ball. You build around a Qb, you never build around a receiver.
You have to assume the QB at #3 is good enough to get. The QB you pick doesn't magically become a great player because you drafted him high and really want him to be good. If they really don't love Maye, then there isn't a QB in this draft who should be picked that high regardless of how bad you need a QB, you are just burning a pick.

If there isn't, your options are to get the best player in the draft at a position you need or trade down and hope you can hit with whatever you get for that but it's going to be with picks less likely to hit than just drafting MHJ.

If you really don't like Maye, you are better off getting MHJ at #3 and then trading up into the 20's to get whoever is still around at QB between McCarthy and Penix

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back