PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

Does he say why?

Does he say why?
He chooses Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.
Says he’s the best player in the draft and instantly transforms the offense.
Hard to argue with that logic, but a franchise QB Is so valuable.
There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.

There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.
That's a scary thought not getting the Q and not picking up the extra picks in a trade down. But there is something to be said about coming away with someone as hyped as MHJ. If he's as good as advertised it could be a mistake to trade back so we can fill 2 holes but end up without a transcendent player. Not to say we can't get the extra pick and still find a transcendent player but MHJ has been hyped up like this for a reason.

I'm not changing my stance though I want Q at 3. Don't mess around.

That's a scary thought not getting the Q and not picking up the extra picks in a trade down. But there is something to be said about coming away with someone as hyped as MHJ. If he's as good as advertised it could be a mistake to trade back so we can fill 2 holes but end up without a transcendent player. Not to say we can't get the extra pick and still find a transcendent player but MHJ has been hyped up like this for a reason.

I guess my thinking is what if you can walk away with both?
What if Nix can be a Justin Herbert kind of QB, or what if Rattler has finally matured and is ready to use his natural gifts and be molded.
It’s as much a risk taking a QB at 34 as there is at 3 but Marvin is a 10 year stud.

I guess my thinking is what if you can walk away with both?
What if Nix can be a Justin Herbert kind of QB, or what if Rattler has finally matured and is ready to use his natural gifts and be molded.
It’s as much a risk taking a QB at 34 as there is at 3 but Marvin is a 10 year stud.
I don't hate this plan. I was more interested in it when I thought we could maybe do it for Pennix or JJ but now it's looking like they may be drafted to far ahead of 34 for a realistic trade.

I'm not as high on Nix but if the draft comes and goes and we get MHJ and Nix that would be exciting. I'm not a big enough draft guy to not just jump on board.

I get it, but we could end up being the Vikings with Jefferson stuck in mediocrity without a QB. If they love a QB at 3 draft the QB but I also agree don't just draft a QB because you need one.

When the host asked him what he would do for QB he had no real answer. His response was basically trade for one or worry about it later. First there is no guarantee you hit on all those extra picks, second there is a chance the Vikings end up being pretty good and those later picks are mid to late first round picks (high teens or 20's). Lastly the Patriots will eventually find themselves exactly where the Vikings are when they need a QB. They'll have to mortgage the future offering multiple round 1 picks to move up hoping they have a willing trade partner. It's a lot easier to find skill players when you have a great QB more so than finding a franchise QB when you have great skill players. The skill players will either become too expensive or too old, it just hardly ever lines up properly.

Calvin Johnson, Moss, Owens, Jefferson so on. The list is LONG of teams that took the stud wideout and never found the QB to pair with them. Take the QB and build around him.

When the host asked him what he would do for QB he had no real answer. His response was basically trade for one or worry about it later. First there is no guarantee you hit on all those extra picks, second there is a chance the Vikings end up being pretty good and those later picks are mid to late first round picks (high teens or 20's). Lastly the Patriots will eventually find themselves exactly where the Vikings are when they need a QB. They'll have to mortgage the future offering multiple round 1 picks to move up hoping they have a willing trade partner. It's a lot easier to find skill players when you have a great QB more so than finding a franchise QB when you have great skill players. The skill players will either become too expensive or too old, it just hardly ever lines up properly.

Calvin Johnson, Moss, Owens, Jefferson so on. The list is LONG of teams that took the stud wideout and never found the QB to pair with them. Take the QB and build around him.
You gotta be damn sure about the QB.
You don’t want to draft one he ends up being mediocre and Rattler becomes a third round stud.
Thats how you sink a franchise.

I'm starting to waffle on Maye and I have no idea why.

... 22.2% >>> .222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 ♾️
Air McNair ... was fun to watch .... Choking Matt Ryan not so much ... $304 million career to gag.

A look at recent history shows why many Patriots fans are skeptical of selecting a quarterback in this spot. Aside from Ryan and McNair, there have been seven QBs selected third in the past 30 years. The others are Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold, and Trey Lance. Other than a strong start to Young’s career, there isn’t much to feel good about in that group. The first four quarterbacks had a much better hit rate. Jim Everett, Dan Pastorini, and Mike Phipps all had solid NFL careers, with Jack Thompson the lone exception.

Last edited:
I'm with Rodney, I'm not a fan of Maye.

Hard to complete passes to the amazing MHJ when you’re on your ass within 2.5 seconds due to a ****ty OL, or if you have a noodle armed QB pooping himself by the 2nd quarter of Game 1.

Hard to complete passes to the amazing MHJ when you’re on your ass within 2.5 seconds due to a ****ty OL, or if you have a noodle armed QB pooping himself by the 2nd quarter of Game 1.
There is 7 rounds plus Fa's. Let's see what a Mayo/Van Pelt offense looks like.

I get it, but we could end up being the Vikings with Jefferson stuck in mediocrity without a QB. If they love a QB at 3 draft the QB but I also agree don't just draft a QB because you need one.
and that is what will happen. You would think Kraft would have learned that lesson with Mac

I’m warming to the idea of MHJ and then hoping to grab Penix.

I would be okay trading down and passing on Maye - but ONLY if we take Nix in the mid 1st.
But he's not going to fall past Denver, and I don't want to get stuck with Penix.
And, if we don't get someone to energize the fan base, it's going to be misery realizing Brissett is our guy.
I mean, I guess there's a chance he turns into Geno in Seattle, but even that isn't enough to put us over the top.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back