PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

He chooses Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.
Says he’s the best player in the draft and instantly transforms the offense.
Hard to argue with that logic, but a franchise QB Is so valuable.
There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.

MHJ is the closest to a 'sure thing' in this draft. QB is critical, but so is making sure your #3 overall pick isn't a dud.

I agree with Ted Johnson who said yesterday that his home run scenario is to trade back, get some high draft choices, and take Penix as our QB, who he feels is as good as any of these guys.

MHJ is the closest to a 'sure thing' in this draft. QB is critical, but so is making sure your #3 overall pick isn't a dud.
I could see a scenario where they take MHJ and trade back up and take one of the tier 2 QB's, that's if they like one of those QBs, might not be a bad way to go, just so looking forward to this draft, haven't been this excited about a draft in years.

What if they have Maye, Mccarhy and Daniels ranked even?
If they have them evenly ranked as franchise QBs, you don't get cute with it IMO and draft the the on you like best after the Commanders take their QB.

If the Charger or Giants call about #3 in hopes of jumping the Cardinals for MHJ then that could be a possible trade you would feel comfortable making, since even if the Vikings jump you for either Maye or JJ you would still end up with either one.

I could see a scenario where they take MHJ and trade back up and take one of the tier 2 QB's, that's if they like one of those QBs, might not be a bad way to go, just so looking forward to this draft, haven't been this excited about a draft in years.
The options are really fun. Doing simulated mock drafts have been a blast.

The Pats ultimately draft Maye at 3 but I would happy with a trade down or take BPA at 3 with a slight trade up for Penix

yeah i'm really about a guy who can play in **** weather. that's one trait that could translate,along with higher level arm talent. 2 things mac didn't have that i think hurt him in n.e.
Being able to excel in bad weather is also a good indication of a players mental toughness. Even though Brady was pretty open about his disdain for winter weather, it never affected his performance.

He chooses Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.
Says he’s the best player in the draft and instantly transforms the offense.
Hard to argue with that logic, but a franchise QB Is so valuable.
There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.
It isn’t hard at all. Taking a WR at 3 who is outstanding but not truly generational and who isn’t judged by most NFL coaches and personnel guys (and gals) to be far and away the best WR in the draft is a terrible waste of a such a high pick, which seems to be in fairly high demand.

IMG_2812.jpeg

“One coach pointed out Harrison’s tape and production were better in 2022, even saying Nabers and Odunze produced better tape than Harrison in 2023. Harrison struggled to break tackles last season and wasn’t a consistently effective blocker. He also had six drops in 2023, compared to four total in the previous two seasons.”

Take a QB or trade down.

It isn’t hard at all. Taking a WR at 3 who is outstanding but not truly generational and who isn’t judged by most NFL coaches and personnel guys (and gals) to be far and away the best WR in the draft is a terrible waste of a such a high pick, which seems to be in fairly high demand.

View attachment 57710

“One coach pointed out Harrison’s tape and production were better in 2022, even saying Nabers and Odunze produced better tape than Harrison in 2023. Harrison struggled to break tackles last season and wasn’t a consistently effective blocker. He also had six drops in 2023, compared to four total in the previous two seasons.”

Take a QB or trade down.
I like Nabors and Marvin Harrison Jr, I’d be happy with either on the Pats.

I agree with Ted Johnson who said yesterday that his home run scenario is to trade back, get some high draft choices, and take Penix as our QB, who he feels is as good as any of these guys.
Older, lefty, not very mobile, and injury prone. What's not to love?

People that I know that have had conversations with him in the past, not friends of his per se, but people that have met him. I live in NC so I run into people. Some have come away with, he's a dumb jock vibe, others found him very intelligent. They all loved his personality, a little bit of a Gronkowski goofball in him, very easy going. As we know Gronk was very football smart.

My prediction on these QB's careers:
Drake Maye-Top 5 QB, All pro level starter for next decade, Will be better than Stroud, will get a second contract
Caleb Wiliams-Will disappoint like Trevor Lawrence, will be good but not reach great but gets a second contract as just good enough
JJ McCarthy-Will be a successful starting NFL QB. With a good team around him will put up good numbers, won't carry a team but won't be a QB you can't win with. In right situation could be Phil Simms type career. Very important he lands in good spot.
Jayden Daniels-Will be around the 15-20th best QB most years, will be the best rookie QB, but his lack of arm strength and middle of the field avoidance will keep him just above Justin Fields level for his career. He'll get a 2nd contract IF the team is not in position to get franchise QB elsewhere. Will not be a true franchise QB but will come tantalizingly close, and expect a really good first year.
Bo Nix-Busts out of league, never gets a second contract
Michael Penix-Likely long-term backup, can have a Matt Cassel type career if healthy but will never become a consistent NFL starter
Spencer Rattler-If he's really fixed his attitude problem from Oklahoma will have a Gardner Minshew type career, otherwise out of the league before 2nd contract
Michael Pratt-Has a chance to start in year 2 but most likely is a career backup with spot starts.
Jordan Travis-If recovered from injury (physically and mentally) will surprise, will have a long NFL career and if in right situation could be a long-term starter, most likely will be a #2 QB with spot starts for the next decade. If he is not 100% from injury then will be out of league in 2 years.

Just my opinion from looking at all the data/film. At least it's out there and in a few years we can all see how bad I am at this!!

Unfortunately, can't judge character, drive, determination, work ethic and how they react once they get a big contract. I also don't know what type of recall these guys have and how quick their brain processes. That's what made Tom Brady, Tom Brady.
Great post. Made valid points. I'll admit I don't watch much college football, but when our teams picking at #3 I've started to pay more attention the those QBs you mentioned.. I just have this feeling that penix Jr. Is going to have the best overall career of them all.. now that is just my personal opinion I know where Williams and Daniels are projected.. however I believe there is something special about Penix and how he commands the pocket, it's like he is already NFL mature, the way he carries himself off the field and of course how he's just so dam cool in the pocket.

Pen
Older, lefty, not very mobile, and injury prone. What's not to love?
Penix being a letter gives him and advantage over the defense.. I believe he's a sleeper pick, and he's only projected to go late in the first due to his injury history.. however his pocket presence, his football acumen, his accuracy, his leadership abilities are all what you want in your QB.

I don't think Minnesota gets the three spot without giving up three first rounders. Two first rounders this year and a second next wouldn't be nearly enough imo.

That would be a steal for them.

Those wins against Denver and Pittsburgh are looking costly right now.

saw cosell break him down on a special matchup show. doesn't sound like what i'd want. the guy who intrigues me is penix. from the clips i saw,the standout traits are excellent accuracy/placement and great pocket movement.
Even with his knee injuries didn’t Penix run a 4.4?

I saw about 8 really bad throws, but I I think the kid was nervous.
Watching the Dynasty I almost forget how good we had it with Drew and Tom.
My gut tells me JJ is the best QB for the Pats but whoever we draft I am hoping we hit on it again.
Fortunately nerves are never an issue in live NFL games.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back