PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison makes Patriots HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love DMAC.

Rodney was different.

He came to the Pats when it seemed like they were a fluke team that won the SB. And that’s what the 2001 team could have been. Think of the Dallas Mavericks and how they will be remembered... or not.

Rodney changed things. He set the tone. He was brutal and encouraged others around him to be the same way. He anchored a terrible 2004 secondary to a SB victory. He was part of maybe the best secondary of all to time with (my good friend) Ty Law in 2003.

The most underrated player in NFL history in my opinion.

We do not talk about him enough IMO.

I really have to disagree with you here.

The 2011 Mavs had one of the most impressive playoff runs ever. They beat the two time defending champs Lakers 4:0, led by Phil Jackson, Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum among others, they beat the Thunder with Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka 4:1, and they beat the Heat with Lebron, Wade, Bosh 4:2.(6:2 overall with two wins over the Heat in the regular season). They didn't lose a single game by double digits during the entire run. Dirk was by far the best player in those playoffs. He was unstoppable.

You can't fluke 16 wins. Especially not against such a tough competition, having to beat them 4 times each.

And let's not forget that the Mavs would have been champs in 2006 without one of the worst officiated series in NBA history. Dirk and Terry were the 1-2 combo in 2006, and they were the 1-2 combo in 2011.

Dmac couldn't carry Harrison's luggage.

I agree Rodney had the better career. I'm just comparing Rodney's tenure as a Patriot to DMAC's.

I agree Rodney had the better career. I'm just comparing Rodney's tenure as a Patriot to DMAC's.
Mcourty is nothing special.

Guys like Harrison and Ed Reed are special players that are elite.

DMac is the better and more versatile player in an era where it is more difficult to have the same kind of impact as a safety as in the early 2000s.

Understandably most people here just have a nostalgic thing for players from the Patriots 1.0. The reality is that with the rules being what they are now Rodney would not even be a starter. He certainly would not be able to do Chung's job as efficiently. At best he'd be a role player.

Point being that comparing the early 2000s teams to the more recent iterations is not fair at all. The game has become faster, more intricate and difficult than ever before for all defensive position and some of the offensive roles as well.

In the end he deserves the jacket a lot; as will DMac when he gets in whenever the logjam starts to clean up a bit in 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Syemour was traded a week or so before the start of the season, he didn't leave on his own.

Damn straight, yet people that call themselves Pats fans gave that post some love, smdh

The fact you believe Moss should be in over Rodney says it all
Again, that was the joke. It was in reference to a thread from a few weeks ago saying that Moss should be in the Pats HOF.

Congrats to Rodney Harrison...well deserved IMO

I really have to disagree with you here.

The 2011 Mavs had one of the most impressive playoff runs ever. They beat the two time defending champs Lakers 4:0, led by Phil Jackson, Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum among others, they beat the Thunder with Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka 4:1, and they beat the Heat with Lebron, Wade, Bosh 4:2.(6:2 overall with two wins over the Heat in the regular season). They didn't lose a single game by double digits during the entire run. Dirk was by far the best player in those playoffs. He was unstoppable.

You can't fluke 16 wins. Especially not against such a tough competition, having to beat them 4 times each.

And let's not forget that the Mavs would have been champs in 2006 without one of the worst officiated series in NBA history. Dirk and Terry were the 1-2 combo in 2006, and they were the 1-2 combo in 2011.
Fair enough. I was just trying to think of a fluke-ish championship team, meaning a one-off team that never repeated and was kind of forgotten about. I probably should have gone with an MLB team.

When I think about this Pats run Rodney Harrison and his infectious love for the game sticks out..

Seymour may have been a better overall player, Vrabel may have been a more versatile player, but Rodney Harrison not only was a great talent but he was the heart, soul and conscience of the Patriots while he was here..

Great choice and who I voted for..

Again, that was the joke. It was in reference to a thread from a few weeks ago saying that Moss should be in the Pats HOF.
Ok.

McCourty is nothing special?? Strange comment about a very good player who has only missed 5 games in a 9 year career, and has similar leadership qualities comparable to Harrison. He is not as vocal as Harrison, but nonetheless a smart player, a leader and role model.

DMac is the better and more versatile player in an era where it is more difficult to have the same kind of impact as a safety as in the early 2000s.

Understandably most people here just have a nostalgic thing for players from the Patriots 1.0. The reality is that with the rules being what they are now Rodney would not even be a starter. He certainly would not be able to do Chung's job as efficiently. At best he'd be a role player.

Point being that comparing the early 2000s teams to the more recent iterations is not fair at all. The game has become faster, more intricate and difficult than ever before for all defensive position and some of the offensive roles as well.

In the end he deserves the jacket a lot; as will DMac when he gets in whenever the logjam starts to clean up a bit in 10-15 years.

sorry, I just can't take the rest of your argument seriously, even though it may have some sense, because the bold part is such horse-hooie. Rodney was not just an enforcer, he was smart and a coach on the field. To argue he couldn't adapt to the pay-me-ton/Gotohell(-chicks dig the long ball) rule changes is just absurd. Especially with BB as his coach.

The fact you believe Moss should be in over Rodney says it all

I was a Seymour voter, and sure he'll get in. Randy Moss was third on my list and the Patriots HOF argument is a style question. I agree that Moss was the most talented and statistically other-worldly WR in Patriots history, but his contribution to this franchise is not on the same level as Rodney Harrison or Richard Seymour due to longevity and titles.

What's interesting to me about this selection process is that Moss is arguably the most deserving of 1st ballot professional football HOF induction, but well down the list for the Patriots HOF 1st round induction due to the only one gets in per year, and, the metrics are different for their role in multiple titles.

I thought Shaughnessy's comment about Parcells worthiness was ridiculous on Sunday - he played a contributor's role but bailed on the franchise at precisely the wrong time and never won another playoff game. Thank goodness for that.

McCourty is nothing special?? Strange comment about a very good player who has only missed 5 games in a 9 year career, and has similar leadership qualities comparable to Harrison. He is not as vocal as Harrison, but nonetheless a smart player, a leader and role model.

McCourty is very intelligent and a solid all around player, but he just lacks that 6th sense that elite safeties have, like Reed and Harrison who just had a knack for sensing where the ball was going and for delivering well-timed nasty hits.

I wanted Rodney to be the one elected and I'm glad we was. But, your comment about McCourty is ridiculously dismissive of a very good player who has been a great teammate and leader. He's no Rodney Harrison, but that doesn't mean he's been a JAG, either.

I was a Seymour voter, and sure he'll get in. Randy Moss was third on my list and the Patriots HOF argument is a style question. I agree that Moss was the most talented and statistically other-worldly WR in Patriots history, but his contribution to this franchise is not on the same level as Rodney Harrison or Richard Seymour due to longevity and titles.

What's interesting to me about this selection process is that Moss is arguably the most deserving of 1st ballot professional football HOF induction, but well down the list for the Patriots HOF 1st round induction due to the only one gets in per year, and, the metrics are different for their role in multiple titles.

I thought Shaughnessy's comment about Parcells worthiness was ridiculous on Sunday - he played a contributor's role but bailed on the franchise at precisely the wrong time and never won another playoff game. Thank goodness for that.
I agree. Sey needs to be next.

Moss was arguably the greatest talent to ever call Foxboro home but when it comes to longevity and commitment is not in the top 15 of greatest Patriots not in the HoF.

McCourty is very intelligent and a solid all around player, but he just lacks that 6th sense that elite safeties have, like Reed and Harrison who just had a knack for sensing where the ball was going and for delivering well-timed nasty hits.
Saying DMc is a tick below Reed and Rodney is a compliment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back