PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ninkovich to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Several people here have suggested that Nink is on the bubble to make the 2017 roster.

One columnist thinks "that is exactly the case".

There seems to be enough depth that if he did depart it would not be an issue.

On the other hand the expectations for others (Ealy, Guy, Rivers) to step up and learn their roles and be productive becomes more important if Nink is not on the 2017 roster.

Te problem is that Ealy doesn't really sound like a Pat type player or a player BB would enjoy working with so something can happen there also.

Going into TC with Grissom taking first team reps on the edge is not what you'd want Id guess. Id also prefer for Rivers to have Ninko there at least through TC. Wise has injury history so too much NFL workload early might not be the best way to go. Then again, its football and football players play..

If Harris and Roberts can take over the middle (Roberts is doing a lot of green dot stuff already) then High can move to the edge more regularly.

Kidder is showing a lot of grit early but he has little experience (possibly even capability) in coverage.

Ninko is a smart guy . so retirement thought should be on his mind . but hopefully he is around for one more go . even if in more backup capacity..

BTW - IMO Ninko outplayed McClellin last season . esp. when it mattered most. He was on the field for 27 (55%) D snaps in SBLI and McClellin was basically sidelined after he was burned a couple of times in the 1st (just 8 D snaps total). We can only hope McClellin can make some kind of “sophomore“ jump (and stay out of concussions etc.)

Last edited:
I'm aware it's only first impressions, but Ealy didn't come across that well yesterday. He comes with high expectations and if there's changes afoot at that position, then expectations r even higher

Huge Ninko fan, but thought he seemed slower last year, is that due to physical decline??

He has had a good run in NE and should be all set for life..

Several people here have suggested that Nink is on the bubble to make the 2017 roster.

One columnist thinks "that is exactly the case".

There seems to be enough depth that if he did depart it would not be an issue.

On the other hand the expectations for others (Ealy, Guy, Rivers) to step up and learn their roles and be productive becomes more important if Nink is not on the 2017 roster.

I have had this feeling all offseason, it reminds of Bruschi when he got to camp and realized he no longer had what he needed to succeed in the NFL.

It's all speculation at this time. The only thing that Ninko has said about himself is that he would retire IF/WHEN the Patriots don't want him anymore. There was no indication that it would be this year, and there seems to be no indication at this time that the Patriots don't want him.

Te problem is that Ealy doesn't really sound like a Pat type player or a player BB would enjoy working with so something can happen there also.

Going into TC with Grissom taking first team reps on the edge is not what you'd want Id guess. Id also prefer for Rivers to have Ninko there at least through TC. Wise has injury history so too much NFL workload early might not be the best way to go. Then again, its football and football players play..

If Harris and Roberts can take over the middle (Roberts is doing a lot of green dot stuff already) then High can move to the edge more regularly.

Kidder is showing a lot of grit early but he has little experience (possibly even capability) in coverage.

Ninko is a smart guy . so retirement thought should be on his mind . but hopefully he is around for one more go . even if in more backup capacity..

BTW - IMO Ninko outplayed McClellin last season . esp. when it mattered most. He was on the field for 27 (55%) D snaps in SBLI and McClellin was basically sidelined after he was burned a couple of times in the 1st (just 8 D snaps total). We can only hope McClellin can make some kind of “sophomore“ jump (and stay out of concussions etc.)

Jezz. Glad you gave Ealy a fair chance to learn the culture here. Youve already cast him as a lost cause.

Why play High more on the edge? He's fine doing what he is doing.

Shea was fine and unspectacular last year.

Kidder is a long shot- even if Nink calls it quits.

It's all speculation at this time. The only thing that Ninko has said about himself is that he would retire IF/WHEN the Patriots don't want him anymore. There was no indication that it would be this year, and there seems to be no indication at this time that the Patriots don't want him.
I agree it's all speculation but something is up.

I have had this feeling all offseason, it reminds of Bruschi when he got to camp and realized he no longer had what he needed to succeed in the NFL.
IIRC Bru had a knee issue that just wasn't getting better. He still wanted to play and Bill told him he'd find a place for him on the roster but he would barely play (ala 07 Troy Brown) . Bru then asked Bill if he should hang it up and Bill agreed.

For all we know Nink and Bill had the same discussion. Bill wants to play the kids and Nink might not play a lot and if they play real well in camp he might even not make the team.

Character is destiny.

I think you are being way too harsh and judgemental. You are jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions.

There is zero evidence he is a problem child or has character issues on this team.

Cut him some slack. Not every player talks like Bruschi, Brady and Troy Brown

Unless Ninkovich has health concerns, I'm going to say that he will not retire. For a price, Belichick likes having veteran leadership around. That's how you explain him carrying so many old guard LBs over the years, even from other teams.

Unless Ninkovich has health concerns, I'm going to say that he will not retire. For a price, Belichick likes having veteran leadership around. That's how you explain him carrying so many old guard LBs over the years, even from other teams.

Bringing in David Harris to play alongside or platoon with Hightower would suggest that BB might have found Ninko's replacement. I hope he isn't stepping aside, but would understand if he's reached that point where there's greater risk than reward to keep playing.

I think you are being way too harsh and judgemental. You are jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions.

There is zero evidence he is a problem child or has character issues on this team.

Cut him some slack. Not every player talks like Bruschi, Brady and Troy Brown

Just a hunch after watching/listening to him in the spring and yesterday.
just a hunch . nothing more
I do hope he finds his place here . I believe BB&MP could make him productive player
I will not be surprised otherwise.

Last edited:
Ealy has done and/or said nothing that I would consider as detrimental or indicating any sort of friction between himself and the team.

He'll do fine here, and the only prognosis I would make is that Ninkovich will play 1 more season unless he gets hurt, and then retire.

Maybe by modern servile psychology . not by the greats of philosophy and art

View attachment 17597

But we digress...
I deeply believe in this.

With that said this might be the kind of thing Goody has hanging in this office.:p

Destiny becomes Integrity....

As long as Ealy plays great, does what his coaches tell him to do and has his teammates back I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes