PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski moves to Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it will not legally prevent him from rejoining the team. That is true.

He sold his home in MA and bought another one in FL. (A few people have already correctly pointed out that he has resources and can buy another home at any time.) He has a track record for being prudent with his money so why would he make his life so inconvenient?
The tax and legal advantages between being a Florida resident vs a Mass resident have already been mentioned.

Wilfork was a Floridian his entire NFL careerr. You don't need to own a house in Boston to come back and play 8 or so Patriot games this season.

Gonks move to Florida makes perfect sense. He can fly under the radar down in Florida as he gets ready to come back.

BINGO

It looks to me as though this thread has been edited and some of the more heated posts were deleted. That is fine so thank you to the moderator or whoever requested the change.

Back to the topic. Where does the measurable and testable data come from to determine that there is a 20% (or whatever number) chance that Rob returns to the Patriots? It is of course someone's opinion.

I officially apologize to the members that are writing about statistical analysis. You are entitled to your opinion.

My Opinion is that he will not come back. If he does come back, that will mean that I am 100% wrong and I will be willing to admit it.

PS: None of this is about liking or disliking Rob Gronkowksi.

I hold these truths to be unknowable, to paraphrase Jefferson, in regards to the most important variables in Gronk's mind.

It's not even opinion, it's hope. People just hope Gronk will be back. They're assigning false precision to hope by application of the familiar "X% chance of..." language to it.

But we don't really have inside info on why players decide to retire.

Now that said, we do know the things that would attract a player to come back (they have some affection for some persons on the team; in TFB's case, that would likely be magnified, because who's a better guy to catch passes from? They have the ability to win another ring. Etc.)

We do know the things that would push someone away. (Football hurts. Football gronk style hurts more & injures you. Football for BB can be challenging for a big ego, but we have no real evidence how much this last part comes into play. He would have to live down denting a Lombardi. That might actually go into the pro rather than con column.)

But no matter how many web pages we read, even if he's quoted in interviews and even if he's not in any way misquoted or manipulated, we don't know what Gronk thinks.

The most optimistic would probably also note that Gronk could be convinced he has half-seasons left in him, and that he might get some advantage out of Favre-style psuedo-retirements. If so, there is no way to determine conclusively that the advantage pertains to playing on the Pats rather than playing somewhere else - whether moving teams would be eased by a psuedoretirement is discoverable, however, w/contract details (I don't know them.) Bear in mind, though, they'd be contract details in pursuit of a very unlikely conspiracy theory.

A good time to discuss his return to football would be when he returns to football :D

I, for one, would like to see the (ahem) logic that was applied by someone with no personal knowledge of Gronkowski's inclinations or decision making process as regards a potential return to decide there was a 20% chance of it. No doubt that particular predictive model was fascinating.

85% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Florida isn't real. It's just a part of south Georgia everyone thinks is weird.

Actually, South Georgia is Florida lying and pretending to be Georgia.

I hold these truths to be unknowable, to paraphrase Jefferson, in regards to the most important variables in Gronk's mind.

It's not even opinion, it's hope. People just hope Gronk will be back. They're assigning false precision to hope by application of the familiar "X% chance of..." language to it.
Nice cool honest post.

If I am reading that correctly, even more reason to the point you made.

No Income tax, light (middle of the road) for vehicle/excise/highway use tax and they exempt SocSec and Pensions from tax as well. Not sure what they do for property tax, but without knowing, that would explain the attractiveness to someone on a fixed (retirement) income.

No income tax in FL. Big issue for retirees receiving IRA mandatory disbursements and 401K dividends & cap gains. Similarly major benefit for a wealthy investment income "retiree" like Gronk.
Property tax rates much lower than MA and especially NH.
My homeowner insurance including hurricane is not bad but is extra cost.
6.5% sales tax. Similar to MA.
Car insurance rates are quite high vs MA, etc. but a non-factor for wealthy guys like Gronk.
I'm still a NH resident but could flip to my FL property if the crazies take over NH.

No income tax in FL. Big issue for retirees receiving IRA mandatory disbursements and 401K dividends & cap gains. Similarly major benefit for a wealthy investment income "retiree" like Gronk.
Property tax rates lower than MA and especially NH.
Car insurance rates are quite high vs MA, etc. but a non-factor for wealthy guys like Gronk.
I'm still a NH resident but could flip to my FL property if the crazies take over NH.
“If”?

Property tax rates much lower than MA and especially NH.
My homeowner insurance including hurricane is not bad but is extra cost.

Whats the bumper sticker? Don't Mass up New Hampshire

We left MA in 2017 (I wasn't a native and spent my formative years elsewhere, so its never really been home to me). Wife still dreams of going back to Cali.

We may not stay in NC forever, but not sure CA is all that realistic.

Last edited:
If you like needles in your sidewalk poop, Cali is tops

That is San Francisco....

SF is a different animal!

Florida’s tax advantages. How else can you justify a humid, mosquito laden existence?

Florida’s tax advantages. How else can you justify a humid, mosquito laden existence?

I've taken it a step further and lied to my daughter, telling her the only Disney property she sees on TV is in CA.

North of I-4 won't ever make it on the Drewski was here list and my life will be full regardless.

And before anyone gets sensy, that applies to probably 10 of the 19 states I havent been to

Maybe he was sick of shoveling snow.

In August? It’s brutal hot there right now.

In August? It’s brutal hot there right now.

Major reason I live in New Hamster. OK, except for the last couple days here.
FL gets too hot for me in mid April, never mind August.

Major reason I live in New Hamster. OK, except for the last couple days here.
FL gets too hot for me in mid April, never mind August.

I don’t mind heat. It’ll be 100 degrees here in eastern washington today. It’s just temperatures. Heat with downpours and humidity is miserable. But the hurricane risk and crazy drivers probably makes up for it.

It just rained here. No accumulation though. So I guess sometimes 40% happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft